Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland - Ethiopian Colleges Merge

Hargeisa, 3 November 2009 (Somalilandpress) — On Sunday, November 1st, Lucy University College marked the opening of its new campus in Somaliland’s capital with ribbon-cutting ceremony that took place in Mansor Hotel.

New Horizon College, an Information Technology college invited Lucy University, an Ethiopian-based private institution to Somaliland and in early August the two institutions signed an agreement to merge.

New Horizon College was set up by Somaliland students who had studied in India and offered mainly IT and English courses. The merger with Lucy University has allowed the new institution to offer a wide range of courses, research programs and study options in four faculties; Economics, Mathematics, Law and Management.

University provost Mr. Khadir Hussein was on hand at the ceremony to share his enthusiasm about the establishment. As one of the driving forces he recalls how their drive originally started, “many students are not so lucky when it comes to pursuing a complete education and so we reached out for Lucy University.” Mr Khadir, who owns a construction firm in Ethiopia, said they took advantage of the fact that Somaliland has ties with Ethiopia.

Professor Mohamed Abdullahi Duale, vice-president of Hargeisa campus, also addressed students, faculty, and guests about the new tertiary and how it was different to the existing ones. As well as offering undergraduate courses in four faculties the university will also offer diploma courses in IT and multimedia and language courses in the near future. Lucy_university

Professor Abdi Ali Adan, dean of economic faculty, also emphasized the need for students to be equipped with both knowledge and technical skills, and the personal attributes that allow them to achieve their career aspirations and excel in the world of business.

Other individuals who spoke on the conference included Muna Hussein Khalif, the president of Somaliland Academic Women Empowerment, who expressed optimism about the days ahead and the role women play in education in Somaliland society. She said she welcomes the new university and encourages girls to pursue higher education.

Other honorable guests included eng. Mohamed Hashi Elmi, UDUB party chairman, Mr Omar Jama Farah, vice-minister of Economy, Mr Abdulkarim Mohamed Muse, veteran Mr Osman awr Liqe, students, business executives and many others.

Other Ethiopian universities in Somaliland include Admas University College and Addis Ababa Medical Collage.

Ibtisam   

Not sure about Excellent News, can we have more details JB. It is a private institution based in another country; their aim is to make money not necessarily the interest of Somalis. For things like Education and research, I'd rather we as Somalis monopolized and avoid interference from other countries, particularly Ethiopia. Also If someone is going to get rich from Somalis, it should be Somali business men/women rather than Ethiopianka.

JB how much control will they have over the syllabus and content of what is taught and researched published. For courses like small scale IT (not technological development) I guess is okay if they have big role in it.

for a supposedly rational somalilander IBZ, you are not towing the Somaliland line. What is the need to divisive, cant you see the enemies are watching our steps and want us to malfunction like the puntlanders in the Politics section.

Juxa   

waayo enemies you keep referring to?

anyone with an ounce of caqli will applaud any effort to educate qof walaalki ah.

takes her dacas to slap max.

ps: wont it be wonderful if there was a programme where college student etc return home to participate workshops, classes or even teach a class for minimum of 4 weeks to high school kids or first year college students?

Paragon   

Ibtisam:

For things like
Education and research
, I'd rather we as Somalis monopolized and avoid interference from other countries, particularly Ethiopia. If someone is going to get rich from Somalis, it should be Somali business men/women rather than Ethiopianka.

And that is absolutely crucial to be understood by all Somalis. Education-ka waa quudinta maskaxda mar haddii maskaxda la qabsadona waa Gramsci's coarcion and (creation of) common sense. Anything can be done with us without 'us' knowing any better.

Thank you for raising that point.

Ibtisam   

Max: Yahoo, use your mind dude, don't become paranoid and blind. Always trying to point to shadows. Read what I wrote and try to understand it.

And by the way. I am a Somali individual, I am not towing any line, allah gave me my own maskax to use. :cool:

Education is power, if you give away those who teach education, you give away your power. Paragon wrote it in Af somali for you in case you did not understand it already.

^Ibtisamey adeer caqligan kugu jeclahay ee Allaha ku sii siyaadiyo. Ayaan darose wiilkan MAX ahi wa la haleeyey, probably Oodweyne iyo rag kale helay casharo ah Faysal Cali Waraab school of thoughts ayaa u socda malinba maalinta ka dambeysana go from one extreme to another bal nala dhowra :D

hodman   

Originally posted by MAX POWERS:

for a supposedly rational somalilander IBZ, you are not towing the Somaliland line. What is the need to divisive, cant you see the enemies are watching our steps and want us to malfunction like the puntlanders in the Politics section.

Waa maxay buufiska caynkan ah :eek:

Ibtisam I guess there two ways to look at this. It's all well and good to have our own education system without interference from foreigners like Ethiopians but the truth is given the current state of affairs in Somalia/land any paper worth its weight will have to have foreign credentials to be any good in securing jobs etc, At least bringing the institutions to Hargeisa will keep the dhalinyaro closer to home instead of having them travel to Ethiopia to get the diploma

Ibti said it all. Knowledge is power and wether we like it or not every institution pushes their agendas. Ethiopa is evil and I doubt that they have the interest of our youth in mind, progressive or not.

However as Hodman pointed out sadly, the only credentials worth its weight are foreign ones. I would've liked for Somaliland to look elsewhere for partnership. Most private schools in Egypt for instance has adapted the American sytem and is partnered with U.S department of Education.