Sign in to follow this  
Hayat

Do MeN Find successful WoMaN intimidating?

Yeniceri   

^^

Ferry, ferry disturbing.

Anyways, I'm always amazed by the language people use to express themselves. For example,

Originally posted by JaWaRiYa:

ps. Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar i appreciate the welcome aboow-hes but my name is Jawariya, not Jawaahir....(don't worry
typical somali-mistake
)

And...

Originally posted by JaWaRiYa:

SHEER HOSTILITY!!..................A question which demanded reasoning but received
typical somali-men
enrage............ [/qb]

What is so "typically" Somali about hostility? And people make mistakes with names all the time, across all ethnicities, yet somehow, you think its a "typical" Somali mistake.

Cajiib.

Katrina   

Majority of Somali dudes I meet tell me that their ultimate baby momma would have to be driven and dedicated to whatever she does.Whether it be educational/career wise or family orientated at home.

They're LYING sis, so many guys spout that rubbish but actions speak louder than words. Heck check the stat's or ask women from all over, men from most cultures need to feel superiour to women, everything else is crap or look around how many do you know who back up what they say.

Jawariya dear notice how many absurd comments are being made? Why would you want their view?

Analyze the situation involving your mentor and make your conclusions. You already know the answer but maybe your asking coz your hoping it's wrong and somali guys would have your back, help you, pray you reach your goals etc. Hon wake up quick that's a Disney fantasy. The sooner you accept the reality the better prepared you'll be to deal with many future incidents similar to the ones you mention. I'm sure there must be nice somali guys but don't expect somali men to be like your father or brothers...fatal error #1.

Any person who finds anyone else[be it a woman or man] intimidating deserves to be intimidated. Didn’t your momma teach yall that NO one can intimidate you?

Any man who feels intimidated by his wife, has no business being a husband[No khayr,am not looking atcha].

How can you feel intimidated if someone you love is doing well? How can you feel intimidated if someone you love has more money? thats not intimidation,thats xaasidnimo, you dont want her to have something better than you. What a silly mentality.

Maxaad masuuliyad uqaadeysaa if you can be intimidated? Ah(!) dont get me started on this... :(

Originally posted by Faarax-Brown:

How can you feel intimidated if someone you love is doing well? How can you feel intimidated if someone you love has more money?
thats not intimidation,thats xaasidnimo
, you dont want her to have something better than you. What a silly mentality.

Brown, waa ku kaa! Superb shot...you must have been a whizz with your shimbiri-laaye as a child. ;)

It's not intimidation, it's pure xaasidnimo but it's not confined to the faaraxs alone. It's a general trait within our community. However, I suppose what should matter in this case is the attitude of the man you choose and not whether Somali men in general (and our society as a whole) are inherently mean.

Originally posted by Ahura:

quote:Originally posted by Faarax-Brown:

How can you feel intimidated if someone you love is doing well? How can you feel intimidated if someone you love has more money?
thats not intimidation,thats xaasidnimo, you dont want her to have something better than you. What a silly mentality.

Brown
, waa ku kaa! Superb shot...you must have been a whizz with your shimbiri-laaye as a child.
;)

It's not intimidation, it's pure xaasidnimo but it's not confined to the faaraxs alone. It's a general trait within our community. However, I suppose what should matter in this case is the attitude of the man you choose and not whether Somali men in general (and our society as a whole) are inherently mean.
Lol@ Shimbir laaye. Actually i am a very good sharp shooter(leftie). Waxaan shiisho ma waayo & that doesnt stop at throwing things either smile.gif

Anywhoo,regardless of it being a somali trait or not, one, especially a husband should not feel intimidated about his other half doing well. Whats is the point of being a team when one person clearly doesnt want the other to "succeed"?

If my wife is doing "fine" and is doing great things for her house, her community & her self, I as the husband should be standing by her applauding her for the great job she is doing, will support her as much as i can & motivate her to even aim higher. After all thats MY WIFE. Anigaa masuul ka ah. Her sucess is my sucess. Her achievements and accomplishments are also mine. smile.gif

Hassan huurale & his buddy Umar uraye can gossip all they want at the qaxwo joint & discuss How Farax Brown's wife is doing better than him. They can say am not "The Man" and what not . I will be there to pick up their jaws when they drop it[From shock & awe,lol] when they see me Riding in a four dot range[bought by her,lol] with windows tinted & Droptop riding on chrome. Word smile.gif

I just never get it,maybe it comes down to how you were raised or something. But i personally find these "intimidating" business very weired. War what happened to being a MAN?

Nephissa   

I will be there to pick up their jaws when they drop it[From shock & awe,lol] when they see me Riding in a four dot range[bought by her,lol] with windows tinted & Droptop riding on chrome. Word

Sniff sniff, I smell somefin! Gold digger!!! icon_razz.gif

It's all a matter of preference really. Some people prefer a partner who is their equal educationally and financially. Some people don't care. If a woman is more successful than a man, that just tells him she put more effort into creating her life, and maybe he needs to step up his game. I don't think a man that is comfortable in his own skin would be bothered/intimidated by a succesful woman.

Maf Kees   

You guys are not digging deep enough. Farah knows that its the beginning of the end when his wife earns more money than him. Sooner or later Halimo will say: "You broke motherfkr!". Marka Brotha wants to avoid that situation.

Yeah, like Ahura, you can say that you wouldn't mind coming home to a hubby who allready tucked in the kids and made you lasagne and the smell of pot-pourri. But lets talk reality here Ok! Sooner or later woman goes: "How did I end up with this lowlife?" Talking about: "What, what? isn't tonight pokernight with your friends, what? Gimme some fking room to breathe damn".

Who finds women threatening? I thought that gender is blessed with a divine kindness.

Faaraxow, I am nodding in agreement…saaxiib, and I can’t wait to hear about the success stories of Caasho-qoran iyo Faarax-cown :D .

Successful women are often aggressive in every facet of their lives – and as men we do want our women to be kind and gentle – and need I say obedient. There is nothing wrong with successful women – but their methods for exploring the uncharted territory of the business world – they have to be aggressive – although I think they should separate their work life and personal life.

Katrina   

I agree with ya'all (Bisharo & FB). Before I say anything else...success can be measured in many forms. Your right it's something about the way ppl are raised or their self-esteem. Yep, xasidnimo doesn't discriminate against women and men. Yet, the majority of the xasidnimo I've experienced in my 5 yrs of uni has been from Somali males. Initially, I almost lost my mind trying to comprehend why they were doing/saying what they did but like I said earlier actions always speak louder than words. These weren’t just young guys. They incl middle-aged men, guys raised here, religious guys, hip guys etc. This happened semester after semester different faraax’s but the same old xasidnimo. Their xasidnimo, hatred, envy, gossip, selfishness all for what??? Just coz, I choose an area of education they like to believe only they could excel in or some sick twisted ideas about women who knows? Get over your egos boys is all I thought, logically for every single Somali male student there where 100 (if not more) Asian students to match. Heck even the female Asian students out numbered them yet they made sure I was ostracized. Could it be I threaten their idea of what a somali woman can or can't do? Either way it was their problem and not mine...nobody has the power to intimidate unless you give it to them.

All that drama was just in calc and phys!! Imagine if I had to take upper classmen classes with them? Alhamdullahi, none of ‘em was around once I got into my major. The need to group, sneaking, hiding exam tips, insisting to see my exam scores then walking away happy if they scored higher than me or scratching their heads if I scored higher than them, promising to explain/help with a question then waiting till the night of the final to disappear, sabotaging my chance of getting a job at a company one work at and finding out what he did. Where was the walaalnimo I ask?? They sure could give Jews a run for their $$$...Allah protects though.

If my wife is doing "fine" and is doing great things for her house, her community & her self, I as the husband should be standing by her applauding her for the great job she is doing, will support her as much as i can & motivate her to even aim higher. After all thats MY WIFE. Anigaa masuul ka ah. Her sucess is my sucess. Her achievements and accomplishments are also mine.

Uuhn..ehhh as in I almost chocked in my chinnese food. Are you available to be the potential husband to a potentially successful xalimo? I'll sing to you what Bonjivi iigu heesay: you are the first of your kind ;) .

Anyhoo, although being intimidated is sometimes motivated by pure xaasidnimo, it is not always the case(I know hold ya horses, darn!). It is something that originates from pure insecurity. Eg. If your wife/lover/girlfriend/crush succeeds will she still look at you with the same adoring eyes? This pattern of thinking is dangerous and results unwanted jelousy that might potentially cause the partner to rule out xalimo as a wanna-be Western-Wonder-Woman(see it is sooo easy to get rid of insecurity. Just label the other person ;) ). As for me, though amnot successfull Yet, I have seen farahs who immedietly feel threatned by the bare mention of me wanting to become a PHD holder :D . Ofcourse, in this scenerio I flash a gorgeous smile and tell them if all goes well I mightnot even want to have kids(suckersss! icon_razz.gif ).

------------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometimes

Castro   

I xaasid you Katrina. icon_razz.gif

Men are fragile, people. It's been shown that any (abnormal) increase in stress levels leads to a decrease in both sperm count and motility. You "successful" girls better be careful. We're talking crippled sperm that can't swim. And that's no joke. :D

Wow @ Katrina. That's alot of sh!t for just one girl. But you know what; your gonna grow stronger and smarter from that experience. That should make you one tough cookie.

As momma always said; the sweetest revenge is success. ;)

Katrina   

Since the raw wound is open :( , I'd like to add. I've been the only black female in most of my classes for many semesters so I'm use to a lot of crap. I can deal with that just fine. It doesn't even make me blink. Yet, to get that from guys you share the same country, language, religion, culture and genes can really hurt.

Peace

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

quote: If my wife is doing "fine" and is doing great things for her house, her community & her self, I as the husband should be standing by her applauding her for the great job she is doing, will support her as much as i can & motivate her to even aim higher. After all thats MY WIFE. Anigaa masuul ka ah. Her sucess is my sucess. Her achievements and accomplishments are also mine.

Uuhn..ehhh as in I almost chocked in my chinnese food.
Are you available to be the potential husband to a potentially successful xalimo? I'll sing to you what Bonjivi iigu heesay:
you are the first of your kind
;)

------------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometimes
As much as i am flattered, i am sorry but i am in a very happy monogomous relationship. Mrs Brown says hi folks smile.gif

Bishaaro: How can one gold dig his very own stuff? See camal yakhee. What Mrs Brown owns,Mr Brown owns. Rem i said i was gonna support her 100%, put my energy in her 'road to sucess' therby making me half owner.

Teeda kale, its not really a preference. It maybe when you first go into the relationship, but when you already established a moora & lil browns and lil bisharos are roaming, it becomes a team. Personally if stuff like ego and money making capabilities can intimidate a MAN, then he has no business being a husband(my opinion).

Xiin. :D