Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

The muufo appreciation society

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

sheheheheh
very smooth, as much as i'm impressed, i have to point out the obvious. namely, the Jung shadow complex of projecting your fears on me. To make up for your passive unconscious aggressiveness against me, i'll let you feed me. ... don't worry, we can save the muufo for the 3rd date

Waryaa, psycho-babble a muufo. I just wanted a sample couriered to me; wasn't looking for a tedious get-to-know a bloke in exchange for some as yet untasted corn-wheat southern Somali baked nibble. :D

Is muufo moofo? I have heard of the word moofo. And it's bizarre how so many love it but can't make it; hunguri before effort and creativity. All hail the Somali hunguri. icon_razz.gif

RedSea   

I love muufo.

It's bread that has 'muufed'=baked really good with some ingriendients of God knows what. But I like it.

Pujah   

1 cup fine textured semolina flour

1 cup coarse semolina flour

½ cup all purpose flour

½ teaspoon of dry yeast

Couple garlic cloves

1 small onion

Half teaspoon black seed

1-1/2 cups of hot water

Salt.

Aluminum foil and non-stick cooking pan.

You can also add sugar instead of the garlic and onions to make sweet muufo that is good with cup of chai late

Step 1

Mix the two types of grain with 1 cup of hot water using spoon (plz don’t burn yourself on my account) and put it aside for few hours

Step 2

Get a large bowl, put your mixed grain, all purpose flour, black seed, mince the garlic and onion and add that as well as the yeast and the rest of your water. Here is the fun parts you need to knead it and feel the consistency. Make sure you don’t make it watery but make it thick enough that you can cut it. Now cover it and let it sit over night or at least 6-8 hours

Step 3

Turn your oven to 460 degrees

Grab the deep dish pan and oil it and put it on the stove. Now dip some water in your hand and kind of free form your dough into four and drop it in the pan. The point here is not to cook your muufo on the stove but to give it that initial sizzle so that it’s not typical bread. Then cover it with your aluminum foil and put it in the bottom rack of the oven. About 30 minutes later move it to the top rack and put the oven on broiler and let it sit there for another 3-5 minutes.

Now the key thing in any muufo is the grain you have to have both fine grain and coarse grain mixed together to get the best consistency.

Cara.   

I can't decide who to mock: those who don't know what muufo is, or those who eat it. I think I'll go with my "anything that is not cad iyo caano is rubbish" sense of superiority.

Originally posted by Nephthys:

Now it takes a practiced muufo maker to bake it, iska dub maaha, you need the lady that rubs her hands under the armpits as a good luck charm before she even touches that dough.
:D

LOL. Aha, I guess Keyf is being a bit reticent, doesn't wanna give the secret family ingredient away!

Good job keyf.. I'll try it out at the weekend. anyhow, fair is fair and here's my end of the deal.

[edit] by the way black seed is more commonly known as black cumin

anyhow, this is one my fav. recipe's, you'll find most of the ingredients in the a typical Somali kitchen, if not, local shops should have most of the spices. This recipe feeds about 4.

Ingredients For the fish

* 4 fillets of white fish ( I like kingfish steaks, they are meaty, but other white fish works, red fish tastes kinda greasy with this recipe)

* 3 table spoons of natural yoghurt ( I like the full fat variety)

* 2 table spoons of garam masala ( or just curry powder)

* about 1 table spoon of black mustard seeds

* half table spoon of chilli powder

* table spoon ground cumin seeds

* 1 table spoon of ground coriander seeds

* a few (5-6) cardamom pods, pounded a little

* some salt to taste - but dont add it until u're about to cook the fish, since the salt soaks up the juices from the fish and dries it out

For the salsa

* 1 onion, finely chopped

* a chunk of ginger, chopped up

* a few cloves of garlic finely chopped

* a few chillies for taste, use 1 for mild, 3-4 for spicey

* some curry leaves (gen. available at asian shops) if you can find them, about a handful should do

* A table spoon of coconut cream (you can get this by buying a can of coconut milk - *without shaking it* opening the can, and the cream is the thick stuff on the top, just spoon it out -- p.s. dont worry if you cant get it

* 1 table spoon of desiccated coconut (this is the shredded coconut u get in super markets)

* 1 large can of tomatoes

* 2 table spoons of sugar

* a handful of fresh coriander leaves (americans call it Cilantro)

* a handful of fresh basil leaves

Cooking instructions - Fish:

1. Wash the fish and dry with kitchen paper/cloth.

2. combine the yoghurt, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, garam masala, cumin seeds, chilli, cardamom pods in a mixing bowl .

3. Add the fish and coat well with the yoghurt mixture.

4.Cover and leave to marinate for a while, remember the longer you leave it, the more tasty it gets.

5. When the salsa is ready cook the fish, by heating the oil in a frying pan, shake off the excess marinade from the fish and fry until golden, about no more than 3-5 minutes each side depending on the thickness of the fish - other wise it turns hard and chewy (v. bad)

The salsa:

1. Heat the a little oil and the coconut cream in a saucepan, add the onion and cook until soft. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli, curry leaves and shredded coconut.

2. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the coconut is lightly browned. Add the tomatoes, sugar and salt

3. Simmer uncovered for about 20-30 minutes, until the salsa has thickened and reduced.

4. when its all cooked, chop up the coriander/cilantro and basil leaves and add them

5. Serve with a slice of lime on top of the fish

-- this meal goes nicely with a green salad and some chapati bread or malawax

-- enjoy

Z

I'll have to play dump here man, but please remind me, what the H is a Tinaar?

Blessed   

Thanks@ Keyf. Think, I'd just pop into Za'tar wa Zeit for one of those. LOL

Lily,

NoIdidn't. LOL. I can't believe I'm the only one in SOL that has seen the video. Very odd considering that we had it whilst living in some small Saudi town.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

[QB] Good job
keyf
.. I'll try it out at the weekend.

Kix kix kix :D . Oh please put it on youtube adoo cajiinka fajuuqinaayo. Thanks.

Pujah   

^Post some pictures of how it turns out. I may try out both the king fish and the muufo coming weekend too ...i'm sure they will look fab together in my tummy

RedSea   

Keyf and Caano Geel.. :eek:

What kinda muufo recipe is that?

It seems you just wrote cookout book 2007 edition.

It didn't seem that complicated.

Originally posted by Muj: Red Sea:

Keyf and Caano Geel.. :eek:

What kinda muufo recipe is that?

It seems you just wrote cookout book 2007 edition.

It didn't seem that complicated.

Forget that,What kind of Somalileen are you? You seem to be the only one to have heard of & (god forbid)to have eaten Muufo LOL :D

I knew inaa Fake foqol fake tahay :D

Mowgli   

Never been a fan of muufo...lakiin palm sized muufo? That I have yet to see, the kind ayeeyo makes are huge..same size as canjeero, but much thicker