Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Male-free Zone.

Cara.   

What JB, is it hard to recognize her from that end? icon_razz.gif

Get a mop, you were slow with the towel.

A&T, don't start your usual melodrama now. We all know SOL has been barwaaqo iyo nus for you where the honeys are concerned. There are at least 3 SOL ladies who have confessed they find you irresistible. It would shock me if they haven't told you themselves by now.

Abtigiis   

^Cara, I welcome your ducco. And if at least one, any, would have bothered to return my endless PM's, I wouldn't have been ranting here, jumping from thread to thread in search of the customary salaan!

Assuming your moral boosting narration is half-true, didn't you hear what Cilmi said when his clan men fielded 12 beauties to ease his pain for Hodan?

Or have you ever heard of a singer called Muluken from Ethiopia, who described his obsessions with the one that has to be and become blind to all others? Here are his words, and over to you:

“When hundreds lined up

And No one looked like you

Is it love? Is it sickness?

-they were imperceptible to me

I suspected my heart

Might it be seized?”

:D

Why are you reviving healed wounds? :D

-Lily-   

Ibti, I’A I will settle for an abaya...but I will still be wearing dirac that day/eve, just not to the mosque, especially since an Arab girl tumbled down the stairs and broke her ankle few nights ago :D No, honestly, it’s just too dressy for the mosque.

I’m in search for nice skirts but both Monsoon and M&S (dislike) have crap stuff and I don’t have the energy to run around searching every store in London. Seen anything nice lately?

As for Eid, I think I’ll overbook as I’m agreeing to do stuff with everyone but hopefully I can bring them all together.

Malika   

For Eid am going all traditional,from spring cleaning the house top to bottom, to changing the curtains,cushion covers.Doing the henna patterns,cooking all night to feed all those single people am intending to drag from the mosque.The the usual plate exchange we do,exchanging sweets and delicious snacks with neighbours and relatives..After all that,I start my usual eid greetings ,an opportunity to eat some more especially lunch[i dont cook lunch on Eid].All that Inshaallah!

I feel sad though,ramadan is ending. :(

ilax   

^^^LOl Malika, then all sabdil will be there. It will be hectic day, but alot of Ajir. If I were you would have done the same.

Ibtisam   

Lily I hope you did not laugh at the poor girl in her big heels! :D Lol. It is getting cold now anyway, too cold for Dirac, I find it too big and messy to wear it, have to spend all the time tucking in, not stepping on the endz and falling, make sure the silly shaalmaad stays on, covering your upper body, it is too much hard work. But I've seen people who do it effortless. Lily I saw a really nice skirt in Monsoon, but if you are even an inch taller than me, it will be ankle swingers, they also had beautiful dress that could double up as a skirt (there was not much of an upper half anyway) Other than that I've not been in shops since last Jan. I am looking to do major shopping next month. It sure is good to be working again. redface.gif

Malika: Wow mashallah that is very kind of you, you see if you did not live at the end of the earth I'll demand my plate of sweets and snacks. You live in a nice area by the sound of it.

My Eid day: I am going to go to prayers I'A at 8.00am, be back home for 9am. Go to sleep, wake for Zur and back to sleep. When I wake for Asr I am going to order take away, and sit in bed probably answering Eid messages and catching up on watching some movies. Reading Malika message makes me think I should change the curtains, but I really can’t be bothered.

I am so looking forward to my EID day, I too am sad Ramadan has gone so fast!!

Malika   

^I love the Eid Morning feeling,I am trying very hard to give my daughter the same experiences I had of Eid.

You see thats the tradition, I grew up in.A week before Eid.Aabo would have already bought the goat for slaughtering, clothes buying and the dramas of that would be on full swing.My Ayeyo would be seeking ingredients for xalwa and using her expertisism in Indian sweets she will also make ladu and pera. The day before Eid the whole house used to go through a transformation, new curtains, a lick of paint here and there.

Henna on late at night, plastic cover on both hands and legs so you dont mess the bed sheets..lol[no room for design there]

The morning,consisted of racing each other to have the morning shower,the adults would have been up before the farj adhaan,..

Everyone gone to the mosque, the breakfast cooking is in full swing. Once we are all back plus any other people that had been dragged from the mosque..The Eid Eating starts,we as kids get ready[loved to do the plate exchange,as I would have access to anything give back by the neighbours].Ofcourse by this time,one is glamoured up, pins everywhere to hold my frizzy hair, the new shoes pinching my toes but I wasnt complaining,as in the mornings is the only time to accumulate your Eid Mubarak money too..

Am lucky here too, I have a good network of friends from different cultures,and majority are from back home.So we continueing the tradition hasnt been too hard.

Nephissa   

Masha Allah, I'm impressed with Malika. The sister is carrying on those traditions and rituals that was instilled in her. Making sure they are passed to the generations to follow, she even extends an invite to lonely, single folks in the masjid that don't have someone to share Eid with. Yartu xoog badanaa! I want to be just like her when I grow up :D . [Hi Malika *Waves*, you must be the motherly type.. smile.gif .]

Eid for me, is totally exhausting and not fun. It means you bust you buns to cook, shop, and prepare your home, etc, etc.

Anyways, I haven't done my brows since the first day of Ramadan, Alhamdulilaah! and I was going to leave them alone - promised myself to never mess with my natural eyebrow growth ever again [Ramadan or not.] They're now growing in different directions and I was perfectly happy with that, untill hubby told me the inlaws [who by the way, watch me like a hawk when I speak, eat or walk] are coming over this Eid. Ahh! it's stressing me out. I have to get them neat and shapely for the occassion. Y'know as they say; the look of a face is all about the eyebrows! Not so sure what I should do. Pluck or leave it be.

Cara.   

Geniuses of the Year

By Rachel Zelkowitz

ScienceNOW Daily News

23 September 2008

"Do you think this is a prank?" developmental biologist Susan Mango recalls the voice on the phone asking her, "because I assure you, this is not a prank." But Mango, whose lab at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City studies how organs form, could be forgiven for thinking so. She and nine other researchers received a call last week with the news that they were among the this year's 25 winners of the so-called genius grants from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. The awards, given out annually since 1981, come with $500,000 over 5 years and no strings attached.

The foundation conducts a private search to identify people who have demonstrated creativity and the potential to make major contributions to their respective fields. Mango, a 47-year-old single mother of one, believes the award sends a message to other women, “especially women pulling their hair out about trying to have a family and do science."

Stephen Houston, a 49-year-old anthropologist at Brown University, has spent decades deciphering the Maya language and studying how that civilization perceived the human body. He plans to plow the prize money back into his research. Marin Soljacic, a 34-year-old optical physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, admits he has some "far out" ideas to extend his work on nanophotonics, the study of light at minute ranges, and its applications for wireless computing. But he's not ready to disclose them.

The other scientists on this year's list of winners are:

• Kirsten Bomblies, 34, a plant evolutionary geneticist at the Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology in Tübingen, Germany. She studies how new species of plants originate.
  • Andrea Ghez, 43, an astrophysicist at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her research focuses on the evolution of star systems and galaxies.
  • Alexei Kitaev, 45, a computer scientist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. He seeks to apply quantum physics to computing.
  • David Montgomery, 46, a geomorphologist at the University of Washington, Seattle. He researches how Earth's topography changes over time.
  • Adam Riess, 38, an astronomer at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, who studies geometry of the universe.
  • Sally Temple, 49, a neuroscientist at the New York Neural Stem Cell Institute in Rensselaer, hopes to develop treatments for central nervous system damage.
  • Rachel Wilson, 34, an experimental neurobiologist at Harvard Medical School in Boston. Her work focuses on neural activity within fruit fly brains.