Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Male-free Zone.

-Lily-   

Like I said, there are very modest diracs. I'll prove it to everyone on Eid day...Now get lost before Cara gets her insect spray out.

Cara.   

^The key is padded, adjustable straps for me. I like Targus laptop bags: inexpensive and not too many crazy pockets on most of their bags.

Chauvinists less unnerving than ambiguous men

CHAUVINISTIC men can be petty and infuriating, but that might be as far as it goes. Women are more unnerved by not knowing a man's views than by overt sexism - so much so that they perform worse in exams.

Rodolfo Mendoza-Denton at the University of California, Berkeley, asked 170 female undergraduates to take a written test. Before the test they were randomly assigned to one of three empty offices, which they were told belonged to their male examiner. The fictional offices were furnished in one of three ways to allow the students to infer the examiner's view of women. They either had "progressive" decor such as a breast-cancer awareness banner, overtly sexist posters of women, or neutral objects such as a stack of papers.

Students who were sensitive to sexism, as measured by a separate questionnaire, scored worse if they had been in the supposedly neutral office. They were not fazed, though, by the chauvinist office, scoring better than less-sensitive peers (Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, DOI: 10.1016/j.jesp.2008.08.017).

"Ironically, if you 'know thy enemy', you've got a better chance of dealing with it than if you are constantly wondering if you will be judged unfairly," says Mendoza-Denton.

Indeed, previous studies suggest that black people prefer dealing with overtly racist whites than with those who behave ambiguously. Because overt racism and sexism has become socially unacceptable, prejudice has become more subtle, he concedes.

Link

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by Cara:

CHAUVINISTIC men can be petty and infuriating, but that might be as far as it goes. Women are more unnerved by not knowing a man's views than by overt sexism - so much so that they perform worse in exams.

[/b]

In lay man's terms, this means Cara, CL, Sheh and women in general are unnerved by the likes of Nuune, Xiin, Che and Geeljire; than A&T, Ducaysane, JB, and Dabshid. Good to know this.

Ibtisam   

Guys are hopeless, page 27 of male free zone and I can still see their stinking usernames. Uuuf yaa naga saara.

Anyway girls: I am planning something very very big after Ramadan inshallah. You are all (the girls) invited and before you jumped ahead to other ideas...

I'm planning a fundraiser for Somali orphans; It will be Islamic: no male and no Music but fun; A singing competition, a fashion show, a sister will be rapping. Henna patters and Lots of food and last but not least I'm looking for sisters who own shops, to rent stools to sale their goods and give some of their earnings to the cause. So Ms DD and anyone else please contact me.

I'm thinking mid/ end OCT.

Oh I would love some help if you have free time. I need a make-up artist & stylist (for the models) I need a coordinator and million other things. I have the role just for you whatever your skill base :D

Cara.   

Oh dear, it looks like umushu waay foolan rabtaa. JB hand me a towel will you :D

A&T, for all your bluster, I think you're firmly in the "runs a marathon to support breast cancer research" category.

Good luck @ Ibti. Sounds like fun.

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by Cara:

A&T, for all your bluster, I think you're firmly in the "runs a marathon to support breast cancer research" category.

Cara, what is this supposed to be? I like the part about the breast thing, but the overall connatation seems to be "you are a loser". Am I right?

If so, you are right. But that I failed with you doesn't mean I am failing with others. You should have peeped into my inbox. :D:D Naa waan iska ciyaarayaaye, waxba ma hayo. Kudoos for your accurate analysis.

Buuxo   

^Ramadan Kariim ladies.

I see this place is still kicking.

Lily ,go for it sis...rock your dirac on eid day sounds do-able. Im trying to figure out my eid outfit too,Im thinking something afrocentric but don't know what.

Ibti, interesting event.Good-luck.