Sign in to follow this  
grasshopper

Too young for hijab?

NGONGE   

^^ ega leexo warya. You're not the subject of my argument. A child that gets in trouble for not praying would also naturally be expected to wear the hijab. This is a non-issue.

Chimera   

My mother used to do my female siblings hair before we went to school, i liked this very much cause it always gave me lots of time to watch the Smurfs and eat my rooti iyo Jam in peace (walahi i'm very slow in the morning, i could look at a turned off TV for a good 15 min before realizing it's ''turned off'')

in the end my mom would just wrap a hijab matching my sisters clothing around their hair and we left on our bicycles, i still don't understand the whole salon-like-makeover that went before it, but that's how it was and my sisters never had a problem with it and neither did I!

NGONGE   

^^ You're the cause of this thread. :D

North,

I am against under seven's being FORCED to wear the hijab.

Now get out the way and don't spoil a potential ten pager.

N.O.R.F   

^^Define 'forced' in the context of parent teaching kid Islamic basics. When should kids be encouraged to wear hijab? 8? 9?

N.O.R.F   

7 year olds are forced to do just about everything saxib. They hardly have a say in most matters. Considering that she will be required to wear the hijab soon is not a good idea to encourage them to wear it now? With discussions it's importance etc?

Why disagree with that?

North, its evident in your writing just how passionate you are about the subject, as you should be.

No one can tell you how to raise your child, or what values you should implement and such, the same way you can't stand around the corner screaming "Put hijab on little girls".

Where is the logic of pushing your opinions onto others?

Is anyone telling you to parent your baby differently? No, but you are judging folks because they don't share your views.

Furthermore, I haven't read a topic where u were this active and I can tell by your constant reply just how serious you take the matter of hijab, which is okay.

What is not ok is you comparing your first experience at a masjid with your father to a young girl being forced to cover up her head at a such a tenderly age of 4. That is absurd comparison.

You can't possibly think a little boy going to a special place such as the house of god with daddy can be in the same scale as young girls who are forced to wear the material.(your experience can be compared to a day trip of sort, after all you are at a unfamiliar place and you are getting the feel of it)

I believe the saying "To each his own", and if one parent chooses to implement the hijab in their household, and another doesn't do it, then its okay. There is no right or wrong answer.

As long as you raise your child to be the best human being they can be and fear allah, then you as a parent have done your job.

There is no judging here, so stop pointing the finger.(u are but not in so many words)

PS:Hi Johnny, more power to you brah...(u summed it up for me)

Johnny B   

Hi Lazie !How u doing abti?

It seems as if Cara and co for sometime to come will have no choice but to get used to dealing with the be-quite-little-lady , as neither me nor NGONGE is willing to trade off the coziness beeing equal human beeings entails, lest them girls pull the we-re-ladies-after-all card on us, so unleash it NGONGE, nevertheless,you girls present better arguments than Norf who more or less conviniently refues to be on the same page.

If we stay on track and seperate regiligious indoctrination and educating a 4,5 year old kid ( a daughter) in this case, we've ample reason to conclude that, From the child's part there is a great deal of dependency on concrete reality which makes children unable to reason about abstract, hypothetical, or any contrary-to-fact idea, Religious indoctrination as NGONGE pointed out gives religious concepts the advantage of not having to face any informed criticism. which none of you have troubled him/herself to answer the golden question of WHY do that to a 4 years-old--girl?

For a reason unknown to us, you keep answering another question , namely Is doing that a good thing? which depends on who you ask,and is a different question altogether.

Neither me nor NGONE has done anything but ask why,

To venture a responsible position one almost needs be able to step out of his /her skull to evaluate own indoctrinations.

At that age of 4,5,6 etc etc, children can't even sperate variables, so concluding, we must explain the 'unmoved mover' to someone who wonders how 0.5 ir related to ½ is absurd.

A child's natural curiosity and skepticism is an essential and eminently valuable part of human nature, as a responsible parent, you better help that child develop healthy mental skills by anwering her questions as proportioned to her abilty to grasp your answers and be frank in your answrs, not the otherway around, namely meterialaize on her underdevelopped cognitivity, and place a seed of faith, she is yet to grow to be burdened upon.

The more you expose the child to religious doctorines the more you send them the message that critical thinking and reasoning are not only unreliable and wrong, but should be readily dismissed when inconvenient,and that will tear apart even the tiny life-experience she gained during her few years becouse of the strength in your message and her inability to counter.

By presenting that specific religion of yours as an indisputable truth to your child, whot does not have the capacity to scrutinize the concepts you are giving her with critical thinking and her own informed personal opinions,forces her to just take the cue of the religious adults around her by disregarding any critical reasoning and later make up her own answers to the gaps in her religious knowledge.

By assuming that this practice of fabricating answers will not then spread to other more practical areas of the child's knowledge and make her intellectually lazy rather than encourage use of their critical reasoning skills is naive, The vanity of your 4 years old girls looks wearing 'hijab' is neither a demandable act from any known diety nor its a defandable act for a caring parent, so again, why ?

I think, playing dummy is an equal opportunity , so let's get some answers , shall we?

walahi i'm very slow in the morning, i could look at a turned off TV for a good 15 min before realizing it's ''turned off'')

Adam Z,L0L, i think that explains why are you slow. I mean if you can watch a tv that is off,perhaps,eating rodhi slowly is not thaaaat of an issue huh? Bigger issues ka fikir,like say,i dont know....absent mindedness? smile.gif

Topic=B.O.R.I.N.G, i can find 100 topics on hijab in the past 3yrs in SOL.

It is a great practice for a child as young as five years to wear the hijab. Personally I do thank my mom and my islamic school teachers for teaching us the importance of hijab. Most of my friends who do not wear the hijab were introduced to the hijab in their teens and it was strange for them to wear. Everything needs time, if you tell your daughter she has to wear the hijab when she hits puberty and she was never introduced to the hijab when she was young imagine how she would feel.

Johny B, the unmoved mover that your talking about is a shirk and you cannot compare it to the explaination of hijab.