Sign in to follow this  
grasshopper

Too young for hijab?

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^Can't they be kids WITH their hijaabs on aswell? Is it holding them back? From what?

It is possible that parents who choose to put the hijab on their young children are also expecting these children to act in an 'Islamic' way. You know, not to run because it's not 'ladylike', not to scream because it's 'ceeb', not to mix with boys, etc.

The piece of cloth on the head is not the one on trial here, the accompanying expectations are.

Anyway, I suspect that for most people that do it, it's just a tradition (with a lazy attempt at religious education). After all, the world is full of simpletons that would put what they perceive as tradition above and beyond anything else.

Ps

Johnny, again, in his inimitable slightly crass way is putting a very good argument forward. Should you indoctrinate children from a young age or let them find out for themselves? Is it really a case of daddy/mummy knows best? :D

Thierry.   

Children should be taught acts of Ibada from a young age, we have been told to teach children how to pray from a young so that it becomes a normality to them when they reach puberty and so the hijab is another form of worship that is being taught incrementally to young girls nothing wrong with that.

Ngonge I don’t think most parents expect their kids to be perfect as soon as they start wearing Islamic attire, kids will be kids they will play and laugh, but the prayer and Hijab they were taught will becoming a second nature to them when they reached the age of accountability, a case preparing for the inevitable in an incremental way.

Ibtisam   

WHy would your teenage daughter suddenly decide to make herself a stranger among her friends by putting a hijab on. It saves them the painful process of trying to make new friends and explain themselves to everyone who they've run around with since childhood. Where as if they wear it from a young age, it just because part of them and they do not see as something which makes them an outsider, nor will they have to explain to the other little kids of a sudden change.

Ngonge made a good point, although he was taking the pi*ss. Yes kids should be expected to act in an "Islamic way" not to mix with boys, scream or run around. It is part of instilling adaab in your daughter at an early stage. It is the same as teaching your kids to help the old lady next door, or say thank you to the bus driver/ shop assistant etc.

Yes, the parents knows best until the little kid is no longer a kid and has all the necessary information and knowledge to make their own decisions. If they then decide to take it all off and joint the circus, there is not much you can do about it, you've done your duty as a Muslim Parent.

This notion of let “kids be kids” “Teenage years” “Young adults” is all bullshid excuses to justify people never growing up and taking responsibility for anything. Kids can be kids before they reach 7, you better start treating them like adults by then, instead of babying them more with rubbish like “oh it is still a child”

*ducks…

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

quote:Originally posted by Northerner:

^^Can't they be kids WITH their hijaabs on aswell? Is it holding them back? From what?

It is possible that parents who choose to put the hijab on their young children are also expecting these children to act in an 'Islamic' way. You know, not to run because it's not 'ladylike', not to scream because it's 'ceeb', not to mix with boys, etc.

The piece of cloth on the head is not the one on trial here, the accompanying expectations are.

Anyway, I suspect that for most people that do it, it's just a tradition (with a lazy attempt at religious education). After all, the world is full of simpletons that would put what they perceive as tradition above and beyond anything else.

Ps

Johnny, again, in his inimitable slightly crass way is putting a very good argument forward. Should you indoctrinate children from a young age or let them find out for themselves? Is it really a case of daddy/mummy knows best?
:D
It was a question I threw at the doubters. Hijaab on a young is wrong without so much as an explaination (they are too young is not an explaination) just doesn't wash with me. I need proper 'reasoning' as to why it is wrong.

Johnny boy's comments are as per usual limited hence his reliance on toilet humour :D

Malika   

Originally posted by Ibtisam:

WHy would your teenage daughter suddenly decide to make herself a stranger among her friends by putting a hijab on. It saves them the painful process of trying to make new friends and explain themselves to everyone who they've run around with since childhood. Where as if they wear it from a young age, it just because part of them and they do not see as something which makes them an outsider, nor will they have to explain to the other little kids of a sudden change.

ducks…

^No need for you to duck dear!

I believe from young age you monitor the friends your child have, those she interacts with should be those that compliment her upbringing..You raise a confident,self loving child they will have no problem standing out amongst their peers when the time comes for them to start wearing Hijab.What a parent should do is instill the importance of worshipping Allah,emphasise on what is halaal and what isnt halaal,teaching them about the ultimate blessings that have been bestowed upon them.The main task is to instill Islam within their hearts.

The Hijab is one of the two most important Qur’anic terminologies that define the jurisdiction and the condition for “matured” women to follow while at home or going outside.Key word I would say is “matured” woman,not a mere child whom doesnt have the understanding of the concept of Hijab..

Ibtisam   

^^^Kids are not stupi*d. Many understand the deen better than some adults, when they are taught. There is a difference between making them wear something just for the sake of it and making them understand WHY they wear a hijab.

Ibtisam   

^^^^I know, you know, no need for me to write an essay, stating the obvious Yaa Ngonge, horta do you get off on making me write essays?! :D

Malika   

^My point too Ngonge,why would a 3yrs old made to wear a Hijab? Isnt Hijab worn so to not cause fitna in the society?What fitna would a 5yr old cause unless we live in peadophile societies!

Ibti,I know kids are not stup*d but they also inqusitive,how would you explain the reason of Hijab without going to details about its purpose?

Ibtisam   

^^^WHy would you not go into details :confused: There is no shameful reason behind why we wear hijabs.

Narrowing down the purpose of hijab to "so that men do not look at you" is short sighted.

Malika   

^It's not short sighted,because its what the purpose of Hijab is all about,so that "men" that are not mahram,to not look at you and for you not to cause fitna!

Why would I want to go to details explaining,why one should pull their shawl,over their bossoms when men approach,to a 3yrs old.The poor thing doesnt even have bossoms to cover,nor does she have those rounded hips to not swing.. ;) You get my drift! :D

I am all for hijab my dear,but not on a 2,3 or 6yr old.But as soon as girls are approaching puberty,then any mother should be preparing their daughters of the reality that comes with the process of growth,they should also introduce Hijab at this time,thats my belief!

N.O.R.F   

Whether a child wears it as a 5 year old, 9 year or 12 year old doesn't really matter.

Ngonge, when did you first go to Jumca Prayer? I was about 4 years old and I remember it like it was today! I was looking around whilst in prayer, picking my nose, observing the many faces and other kids who were running around etc etc. I understood very little at that age.

Now, why did my beloved father take me to the mosque on a Friday as a 4 year old when I obviously didn't know what was going on? How many kids will you see this summer at Jumca prayers with their fathers/mothers?

ps I began to fast at the agae of 6!

Ibtisam   

My dear Malika; you have describe one virtue of Hijab, but there are other virtues of Hijab that IF I had a daughter I could explain to her perfectly well. These are what I would explain.

1)That hijab is first and foremost an act of obedience to Allah and to his prophet (pbuh).

2)That the hijab is Allah Shield and protection, without it you have broken Allah’s shield.

3)That the hijab is Taqwah; by this I mean that is fear of running counter to the will of allah. Taqwa is based on the Love of Allah, if I teach my child to love allah, they will have no problem understanding this.

4)The hijab is Imaan, It is central to their believe.

5) The hijab is Haya, morality etc.

A 5-6 year old can understand that just fine. smile.gif

By the time they have reached puberty, they should already know and be acting it.

Faheema.   

Originally posted by NinBrown:

Its all about bringing up ur child in the right manner. Are you telling me you dont teach your children how to pray or how to have good manners...dadkaan isla fiicanaa

I agree completely, it's about setting an example and making sure it becomes part of them so when it becomes an obligation their mum will not need to force them as some parent do. My nieces have been wearing Hijab since they were 2/3yrs old. Now they are in their early teens and they don't take off their Hijab unless they're in the house. If they were told they must start now, it would be very difficult to implement as they are so used to not wearing it.

NGONGE   

^^ Indoctrination here we come. :D

Ibti,

You just made that list up. Sounds like a sexed up advert for the Hijab. A load of hogwash of course.

North,

I probably went to the Mosque at or around that age too. But did your father take you to the Mosque for EVERY prayer? We are not talking about gently introducing an infant to the Hijab; we're talking about it becoming a permanent piece of attire.

I have not been convinced by any of these arguments.