Sign in to follow this  
Elysian

Somali race?????

Elysian   

I was surprised after I read one of the topics posted here on Camel Milk Threads. It was about whether it was ok or not to date people of other “races than Somaliâ€. None of the replies that I read reacted on how the question was formulated.

Since when are Somalis a race of their own?? Secondly, is there such thing as different races? According to the biological definition that I know of, there is only one race among human beings, the HUMAN RACE! The different races people usually refer to is merely a social construction, a way of distancing humans from one another (divide and rule).

In the discussion under that topic, some said they couldn’t imagine dating outside their own race. If race in this case refers to distinguishing people on the basis of external heritable features or based on their genetic origin I would refer to it as ethnicity rather than race. And if someone would reject another person because of their ethnicity, I would call that racism.

Before I upset a lot of people, I’m not accusing anyone of being racist. I think the word race (i.e. ethnicity) is wrongly used, and unfortunately it’s done so by routine. If I give myself the freedom to interpret what is actually meant (I know it’s not good to do so, but…) I would say that when someone can’t imagine dating other people than Somalis, it’s not due to the ethnical differences but because of the cultural heritage. That is a big difference!

A person’s cultural heritage is something that is acquired and is something dynamic that is constantly changing during a person’s lifetime. On the other hand, a person’s ethnicity is something given by Allah all mighty, and is therefore constant. My point is that discrimination on the basis of a culture is alright since a person can decide which culture they want to live by and actually matters in a relationship. A person’s ethnicity is however unchangeable and has no whatsoever significance in a relationship (considering only the two persons involved and not how other people’s opinion will affect it).

Usually ethnicity and culture are tightly interwoven, but that’s not always the case. Let’s say there is a Somali guy who behaves like any other british-white-upper-class fellow, and then there is this other guy who had moved to Somalia with his british Christian missionary parents. Alhamdulillah this white boy embraced islam and the Somali culture. Now, if I had to choose between these two guys and I choose the Somali one because of his colour then I’ll be skating on thin ice.

Paragon   

Since when are Somalis a race of their own?? Secondly, is there such thing as different races? According to the biological definition that I know of, there is only one race among human beings, the HUMAN RACE!

So, in a nutshell, what you are implying is that humanity is just a single race and that people shouldn't mistakingly use the term "race" instead of "ethnicity". If such is what you mean, then it may follow that anyone who segregates others due to their ethnicity is an "ethnicist". But you said:

And if someone would reject another person because of their ethnicity, I would call that racism.

Please enlighten me. What do you mean by that?

Qac Qaac   

Elysian of course u would choose the white boy, coz he is Muslim first and that is what matters.. but ideally is better to stay with ur own race, it makes things simple.

Wiilo   

Of course, you can always marry a muslim guy than a christain guy. Our Islam religion would allow to marry if you are a girl marry muslim man, and if you are a muslim guy you can marry a christain woman. And it don't matter what he/she is, as long as he/she is Muslim.

Hey Qacbaro, i think that we were neighbors back home. Just to let you know.

Qac Qaac   

waraa wiilo neighbors aah, where duqa back home somalia.. iisheeg bal meesha aad daganeed, ani teeda hoos lee laga arki karaa.

Tuujiye   

waraa qacbaro wiilo gabar waaye oo wiil wiil ah..adiga si dhaqso ah aaba wiil uuga dhigtee see camal..Surweelka iska bixi xitaa ma dhaheysid..lol...Marax waaxid..

Wiilo Carwada agteeda aa dagneed adiga..Waxaana banooni kuwada ciyaari jirnay ikwatoore gadaasheed..lol..Suuqa siigalena 100 mar aan cajiin kasoo wada shiidnay..maxa susatid?...

waraa qacbaro adiga ciyaal sugunto liido aa aheed..Shimee agteena kasoo dhawaatay..

wareer badanaa!!

Elysian   

Dear brother J11, that was a good observation, I did actually hesitate when I was writing it, however that doesn't change anything. A racist is someone who discriminate on basis of people's origin, which is actually ethnicity.

If you're implying by your question that since the word racist excist and not ethnisist, the conclusion must be that there is such thing as different races. That isn't the case. Just because a word excist it doesn't mean that it describes the reality. Because of wrong things that occured in the history (the development of the race idealogy a few centuries ago) the word racism was coined, when it actually describes ethnicity.

A comparison, that might be a bit far-fetched however I think it could highlight my point:

When Christoffer Columbus went to what he thought was India he called the nativ people he met for Indians. Although we know today that they were not Indians we still call them that.

Qacbaro wrote:

Elysian of course u would choose the white boy, coz he is Muslim first and that is what matters.. but ideally is better to stay with ur own race, it makes things simple.

Dear brother, I think you have missed my point. I think it's great if somalis marry other somalis, but it's also ok if somalis marry other people, it's up to that person. What I'm reacting against is that people think we are different races. We are not. The Quran tells us that we're all brothers and sisters, Allah made us different, so that we could get to know one another.

OG_Girl   

Elysian, I agree with you on that there is NO Different races.. We all from Adam And 7awa or eve..so our race is "Bani Adam" . But also as you already mentioned Allah created us Nations and Tribes but still we are from ONE race which is Human Race.

Once we all become believers there is no races we automatically become brotherhood in belive.

Allah said in Quraan what means "We honoured all human race" didn't say black, white or red.

Hope I did not miss your point sister.

Salam

Elysian   

Thank you sister OG_Girl, finally someone who's on the same level!

Sophist wrote

"They all being, nothing but words. "

True brother, but never underestimate the its power!

Â

Changed   

Elysian: I think i know where u are coming and i do agree with you on some extent. One has to have a clear defination of race to justify your observation about somalian not marryinig someone of their own race or is somali is a race itself?.race can be defined in different ways:

Race can be defined as:

A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

A genealogical line; a lineage.

Humans considered as a group

Biological defination:
An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.

that defination of race definately answers your question about somali being a race.

To be racist is to discrimate against a person because of their race: its like me saying i wont marry and ethopian because all ethopians starve; basically its having an ethnocentric view on a race.Racist believe that race acounts for difference in human character.

sweetie i do agree with that culture is learned and acquired but one cant be somali of somali race because he was born and raised in somalia; he acquired the somali culture because he shared it with the people that lived around.

OG Moti   

There are different races and for a reason:

1. Black (Central and some east, south and west Africa, a bit in Australia and indonesia)

2. Blue (South Sudan)

3. White ( Europian race)

4. Yello (indhojiiq)

5. Brownish (Arabs)

6. Brown (Somalis)

7. Other undefined races

as you can see there is a race.. we all know and we all deal with it, use it and descriminate other race accept us Somalis we did even better we did not just descriminate other races but we went beyond that and descriminate our own.

forget this biology thing even if you use biology you would know different racis have different biological componants .. such as white race is tolirant to Alcohol unlike the yellow race, the black runs faster (when he is not lazy) that other races.. and so on... peace

Qac Qaac   

Elysian the person could marry who ever he or she wants it.. but what is the stable marriage better at.. i just think the 2 ppl from the same culture would understand each other better. that's all.

Qacbaro wrote:

Elysian wrote:

Dear brother, I think you have missed my point.

Layzie's expression of the above quotes.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Layzie: Is this news to you???

LayZie: I'm afraid not.

Layzie: Why do you say that??

LayZie: Duh, when does he ever not miss the point???

Layzie: Really??

LayZie: Duh, ya...

Elysian   

S/aleykum

I'm in a state of despair, not because most of you disagree with me, but I don't seem to have made my point clear although I've tried my best.

Should I give up?

Well I'll give it one more try...

Politically-Inclined gave us different definitions of race.

Race can be defined as:

A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

A genealogical line; a lineage.

Humans considered as a group

Biological defination:An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.

The first definition is a social constructions of the concept race, and the third is a biological definition. According to the biological def. WE ARE NOT OF DIFFERENT RACES. Subhanallah, we're not interbreeding if we marry other people!

There is no medical or biological scientific research today that will support the concept of different races among human being.

If you ask a researcher they'll tell you that we once did interbreed with another race, the Neanderthals, but they're extinct now!

So why am I making such a big deal out of a thing that is just a word? well it makes us feel more different than we really are.