Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Nomads …Would you believe this?

nuune   

This Hungarian lady I met this evening on a busy street, she was working for agency, she spoke few arabic with me in order to get my attention, I replied in Arabic, but she didn't understand, then she asked me, where are you from?, I said "Somalia", then she went on and said "I know your language" after that she mixed up some Zulu and Swahili plus Africans languages, then I said, "hold on, what u r speaking is not Somali language".

This lady thought in Somalia we speak zulu and Swahili languages, she was a profesional lady who know how to talk, and she mastetred few of every language, but according to her knowledge, she thought in Africa "there are two languages, Zulu and Swahili"

Damn it, the kenyans are ahead of us :mad:

this lil xaliimo was trying to front me! she goes my qabiil is called dulbo-u-baahanyaay! i high fived her, Amiin sista! aint we all the same qabiil! dulbo-u-baahanyahay!! in this heya land!!

i dont think she got me!! but heya, it made her day!! whatever rocks her world!! :mad:

Viking   

Classique,

No need to get pissed off, you can take it even further and act like the Americans by mentioning your city (or town) when asked where you are from. I once met an American in Africa and asked him where he was from, out of arrogance (or maybe ignorance) he answered "Boston". I put on a puzzled look (pretending not to know what the hell he was talking about) and he later explained that it was in the USA.

Damn it, the kenyans are ahead of us

nuune,

Swahili is spoken in some 6-7 countries and not only in Kenya.

nuune   

^^^^ viking I didn't mean to degrade the Kenyans or the language, but u r right, what about somali language, it is also spoken in many countries!

Originally posted by underdog:

the ignorance is spreading... I've seen Somali youth who refer to themselves as
"SOMALIAN"
:mad: ticks me off

lol, I hate that. I had a non-Somali try to correct me one time..saying that its Somalian..not Somali.

In any case, alot of people up here don't know where Somalia is. Maybe they don't have access to an atlas?! But when they ask the dreaded question. I just say...Somalia..in Africa..East Africa..also known as Horn of Africa..right next to ETHIOPIA AND KENYA...

a little off topic but everytime someone asks me where I'm from..I feel justified in saying I'm 100% African (because I know they will ask me..are you mixed with this or that..next).

However, all this ignorance makes me feel better in knowing that I am a little bit more cultured than they are.

Tuujiye   

^^^loooooooool...kaalay wadanyadaas kuwee waaye?...Somali hal wadan bas baa looga hadlaa..

dadka ku hadlana waa somali..djabuuti iyo Oggadeenia waxay ahaan jiren part of somalia iyo dhinaca kenyaba...So somali waxaa looga hadlaa hal wadan.

aniga waxaan garan la'ahay dadkaan ku dagalamay maxaa naloo aqoon waayey. Aduunkan hada waxaa fiican in aan lagu aqoonba..wadamada laga hadlo oo la yaqaano waa wadamada aduunka ugu lacag badan, kuwa ugu dhibka badan, kuwa ugu dhibaato badan..Somalia markee dhibataneysneed aduunka dhan baa ka hadli jiray, laakiin hada wadama anaga naga faqiirsan oo naga dhibaato badan baa soo baxay. SO who cares haduusan i aqoon gaal **** cad. Anaga dhexdeena ayaaba is in kirno iskadaa dadkale..

wareer badanaa!!!

nuune   

Tuujiye, honestly speaking, somali is spoken in five countries excluding where they add "LAND" at the end of lil things smile.gif

Wiilo   

nuune islaantu waxay dooneysay inay "Hoos" kuugu dhigto ama ay ku shukaansato balse waadla fahniwaysay........Alla ayaan daranaa inanku...

nuune walaal aside from the joke, waxaa jira dad badan oo aan garaneynin in Somalidu ku hadasho Somali, xetaa kuwa isku sheegay inay yihiin Professors qaarkood magaranayaa luqada aan ku hadalno..........Wey dhacdaa taa...

Go figure:...........

In school, they always referred to me as "african" or from "Africa" (No Matter how many times I pointed out that Africa is a continent and not a country - ignorant asians n arabs :mad: ) while they made it a point not only to state their countries, but their specific states.

I normally just tell them and hope they remember.

oh well.. Africa wasnt called the dark continent for no reason. No1 seems to know much about it till this day.

most ppl in la recognize u as either etho or smali! some how they worked in foreign countries or travelled...!

problem is etho-ladies! these ladies dont ask the xabaashi guys r u etho? however, have you ever notice why they ask somalis are you xabasha! and i hate that word!!

Nomads

To say that the word "Somalian", if it be referred to a person from Somalia, is a misnomer, betrays a gross ignorance of the english language. The word Somalian is actually a standard and formal english word that is to be found in most english lexicons. The word Somalian can be either used as an adjective (i.e somalian food is a delicacy) or as a noun (i.e. He is a Somalian ).

In the english language, the latin suffixes ian and an signify "belonging to" or "relating to"; thusly it is often used to indicate and describe a person who comes from a particular place. For instance, someone who resides in the city of Toronto would be called a Torontonian. Needless to say, the afore-mentioned suffix has other uses, but that is not the cardinal concern herein.

It is perchance true that the noun, Somali , is more common than the use of the noun, Somalian; however, both nouns are acceptable under the rules of Syntax.

With Salaam

PK

Salma   

Originally posted by Sue:

Now Classique tell me, what is the capital of the country this project manager came from and are they situated on a coast?

Sue, she is from Czech. And Prague is the capital. But to tell you the truth ; I don't know whether the capital is located on a coast or not :D

Salam

Salma   

Originally posted by OG_Girl:

To be fair my self I learned that Somalia conolized by 3 europian country 3 years ago when I was grade 12, All my life I thought Somalia was next to Sudan and I call my self Somali
redface.gif

Salam

OG-G, in our History Books, all Somalia's History was mentioned in ONE PAGE only. Imagine ONE page only. Rest of the Islamic and Arabic Countries were more than 3-4 pages. Egypt was 19 pages :mad: (sudaa3 yakhy). And guess what we had to study The Pharos History. Algeria's history was in 7 pages,,, etc even Pakistan and Bangaladish's History was in 3-5 pages. Except Somalia :(

I learned all what's related to Somalia from my father, relatives and my readings.

Salam

LuCkY   

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Ive seen peopLE who are far more ignorant than that.You just gotta Learn to Live with them.

PEace :D !