Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Can Muslim Attend the funeral of non muslim?

Maaddeey   

'Tush' ka noqo!, wax baan isku qalday, ciido & waxaas baan u booday *xaa i bootin dhirira!*, waa loo tacsiyeyn karaa gaal, welibana waa loo duceyn karaa (dabcan mid u qalanta, sida cimri dheer, samir & adduunyo wax quseeya) haddii dacwo looga faa'iideystona kaba sii fiican.

KK, inuu KITAAB yahay in la fahmaayaan mooday! -note: weli ma gaarin inaan KITAAB=BUUG iraah ;)

Macalinkaanya aa waxoow dhihi jiryay: Kitaabka Buug ey ku bedesheen, Dugsiga Iskool, Cadayga Sakareet...-ee wax iga wax bay-bayaanis jecel ma leh (HAADAA BAYAANUN LINNAAS)

Juxa   

Sayid do not go to the funeral specially if it is held in church or religious sermons are read.

however if there is a gathering after the funeral at their home pop in and say sorry for your loss.

to be safe anigu card baan udiri lahaaaaaa

B   

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

Our neighbour has suddenly died couple weeks ago and his funeral is on next week. I am bit unsure as to what to do - another neighbour has put me on the spot by asking whether I am intending to attend the funeral or not. To make the matter worse - the diseased was gay - and whilst I do not condone his practises - he was good neighbour.

I asked sheikh search engine - but the answers were contradicting to say the least and when I asked for Daliil - they suggest some Arab/Pakistani guys' names.

What ye say the Somali gallery who are more knowledgeable about Islam than I??

I am only clear about offering condolences and visiting the sick regardless of their faith - if one is allowed to attend the funeral - what is the protocol??

it doesn't matter if your neighbour is Muslim or not. You have an obligation to attend. You should go to the funeral. Why do you need the consent of some breaded man in Mecca or Lahore to go, use your own intuition. Do you ask them to intercede on your behalf when you pray? The answer is No! so therefore use your own intellect and pay your respect to the deceased neighbour.

Khayr   

Bismillah

Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah's guidance)

It is not permitted for a Muslim to pray or visit a non-Muslims funeral or their non-Muslim's relatives funeral. This prohibition is clearly stated in the Quran.

Allah Most High says:

“It is not for the Prophet and those who believe to pray for the forgiveness of idolaters even though they may be near of kin after it has become clear that they are people of hell-fire.” (9: 113,114)

The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was prevented from praying for his uncle Abu Talib by Allah Most High. Similar was the case of Sayyiduna Ibrahim (Alaihis Salam).

Allah Ta'ala says:"Verily, you cannot guide whom you like, but Allah guides whom he wills-He knows best those who are guided." (28:56)

Allah Ta'ala says: "Ask forgiveness for them, or do not ask forgiveness for them! If you should ask forgiveness for them seventy times- never will Allah forgive them." (9:80)

Also, Allah Ta'ala says, "And never (O Muhammad ) pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (hypocrites) who dies, nor stand at his grave. Certainly they disbelieved in Allah and His Messenger, and died while they were Fasiqoon (rebellious, - disobedient to Allah and His Messenger, Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). (9:84)

From the above , we understand that Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was ordered not to pray or stand at the grave of the hypocrite, Abdullah ibn Ubay. However, this does not only apply to hypocrites but to unbelievers also, as they disbelieved in Allah Ta'ala and His Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam).

If a non-Muslim relative has no other relatives to bury him/her, then it will be permissible for the Muslim to only bury, not to pray or supplicate.

(Ma'ariful Quran Vol. 6 Pg. 433/437)

Offering condolences at the time of bereavement:

It will be permissible to visit a non-Muslim to offer one’s condolences for a family bereavement. (Ahsanul Fataawa Vol. 4 Pg. 243)

It is stated in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya:

“If a non-Muslim dies, one may say to the deceased’s father or some other relative of his: “May God recompense you with someone better and honour you with Islam, and that He bestow you with a Muslim child…” (al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, 5/348)

Thus, it will be permitted to visit a non-Muslim in the event of a family bereavement.

And Only Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.

Link

Originally posted by B:

it doesn't matter if your neighbour is Muslim or not. You have an obligation to attend. You should go to the funeral.
Why do you need the consent of some breaded man in Mecca or Lahore to go, use your own intuition.
Do you ask them to intercede on your behalf when you pray? The answer is No! so therefore use your own intellect and pay your respect to the deceased neighbour.

Sxb, do you have to respond to every thread just for the sake of responding? The brother has every reason to ask this legitimate question to those who are on the know.

Those “breaded men in Mecca or Lahore” are the ones Allah (swt) said ”wa maa arsalnaa min qablika il-laa rijaalan nuuHiy ilayhim fas-aluu ahladh dhikri in kuntum laa ta'Ålamuun (And We did not send before you except men, towards whom We sent divine revelations - so O people, ask the people of knowledge if you do not know) “ Quran 16:43

Raalina noqo in advance haduu hadalkaygu kula qallafsannaado.

nuune   

^^ Maxaad u raali galin walaal, looma baahno raali galin, runtaad u sheegtay, haduu qaato kheyr, haduu diido asaa cirka roob ku og, hala ciyaaro shinbiraha,

I did attend a friend' funeral once. I went there and pay my condolence in respected manner and then left. As long as you are not doing any religious rituals you shouldn't worry.

Khayr   

Karl saxib,

Pay attention to this ayat

Also, Allah Ta'ala says, "And never (O Muhammad ) pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (hypocrites) who dies, nor stand at his grave. Certainly they disbelieved in Allah and His Messenger, and died while they were Fasiqoon (rebellious, - disobedient to Allah and His Messenger, Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). (9:84)

If going to a nonmuslim funeral is halal under all conditions, then it would mean that you approve of their actions and decision i.e. them not accepting islam and if that is the case, then why bother be a muslim because after all, my neighbor was a good person and I don't have to be a muslim to be a good person (the logical rationale that would follow ref. to somalicentrics agruments).

Hey, I went one time because all my coworkers were going (a funeral home - eulogy/cremation ceremony) and I later found out that my actions were wrong.

So please ya ikhawni (those who still profess Islam) don't confuse sentiments (our feelings of obligations and duty to others, our personal perferences) to what is right or wrong.

nuune   

^^ Like many people attend chrismas party, because most of their co-workers attend, or they can't miss the party since it is great opportunity to score some points with your boss, ie, promotion.

I attended one party though, long time, around 1996kii, and it was James Bond Chrismas Party, I regretted it, but it was the result of pressure when all my excuses didn't work

ailamos   

Whether a homosexual, whether a Christian/Hindu/Jew, the deceased was a fellow human being and a good neighbor.

I hope you'll do the right thing and attend the funeral, show your respects, but as a Muslim you're not supposed to take an active part in the funeral processions.

The European Council for Fatwa and Research issued the following Fatwa:

"Islam orders that parents be treated kindly and graciously even if they are non-Muslims. Almighty Allah says: “Your Lord has decreed that you worship Him and that you be kind to parents…” (Al-Isra': 23) Allah Almighty also says: “Consort with them in the world kindly…” (Luqman: 15) Islam also exhorts people to observe and maintain good relationship with kith and kin.

The obligation of kindness and good relationship is emphasized on the occasions of joy and merriment as well as on the occasions of difficulties and afflictions, the greatest of which is death that brings relatives together when they are bereaved of one of them. Man intrinsically tends to express his feelings towards the deceased, whether a relative or a close acquaintance. Therefore, we read in the authentic hadith on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) visited the grave of his mother and wept and caused those who were with him to weep, and said: "I asked my Lord to allow me to ask forgiveness for her, but He refused to given me permission. Then I asked Him to permit me to visit her grave and He gave me leave. So, visit graves for they remind one of death.” (Reported by Muslim and Ahmad and the compilers of Sunan except At-Tirmidhi)

Moreover, Islam calls for respecting any person, whether a believer or a disbeliever, in his/her lifetime and posthumously. It is reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim in an authentic hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) stood up when a Jewish funeral proceeded in front of him. Somebody informed him that the dead person was a Jew. The Prophet replied: “Is it not a soul?”

Now, the soul of a father, a mother or a close relative is entitled to more respect. Therefore, a Muslim may attend the funeral of his non-Muslim parents or one of his non-Muslim relatives. He may attend the religious ceremonies held for the deceased in churches and synagogues, provided that he does not participate in the prayers, rites and other religious activities. He may also attend the burial. In all that, his intention should be to do the duty of kindness (to parents) and good relationship with kith and kin, and sharing the misfortune with the family and strengthening the relationship with relatives, and avoiding what may lead to estrangement if he fails to attend such occasions."

Excerpted from:

Moreover, Dr. Salah Sultan, President of the Islamic American University and Professor of Islamic Jurisprudence, Cairo University, adds:

"A Muslim should attend the funeral of his non-Muslim parents just as a courteous gesture without participating in any of their rituals, for Islam has set certain rituals to be performed in funeral service; this leaves no room for any innovations. By attending, one shows that Islam is keen on maintaining relations. Allah Almighty says: " But if they strive with thee to make thee ascribe unto Me as partner that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Consort with them in the world kindly…" (Luqman: 15).

Birr (doing good) is a right a Muslim owes a fellow Muslim and non-Muslim as well.
If it's a duty for a man to sustain his non-Muslim parents, then it is his responsibility to attend their funeral prayer and accept people's condolences as a righteous deed towards parents."

The neighbor holds a special status in Islam. Islam encourages Muslims to treat their neighbors in a gentle way that reflects the true and genuine spirit of Islam as exemplified in its tolerant aspect especially with people of other faiths. It makes no difference whether the neighbors are Muslim or non-Muslim.
Ayesha, the Mother of the Believers, stated that she once asked the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), "O Messenger of Allah! I have two neighbors. To whom shall I send my gifts?" the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "To the one whose gate is nearer to you."