Sign in to follow this  
Fiqikhayre

A bridge that will link up two continents!

Som@li   

14km, it is not that long,Imagine driving from Somalia to Mecca for Omrah/Hajj. Good news for the flying phobia pple.

Shakti   

Such waste of money n efforts (if this news is even true). Africa has enough problems as it is, we Africans do not need 2 be linked with these frauds (arabs)

However if we r discussion a bridge between Africa and Europe, than I can see the advantage and growth it can hold for Africa; economically, technologically, educationally etc.. I remember a year ago coming cross such news, that Spain and morocco were discussion such proposal. now thats a news, I can bridge :D

ps. mka u rock!

RedSea   

^The images you display at the bottom of your page are wierd. Bismillah.

Maybe this could be a gateway for the poor folks beind dumbed onboard of small boats in the red sea. They can finally sneak underneath this bridge, by holding on to it's metle stands. I don't know, don't you think it's sneaky idea? lool.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by MKA Yoonis:

^How so, tell me?

Adeer I'm real and knowledgable as well in the things I say, they're not just something uttered randomly, understand?

^
That's a
'billion' in the US, UK
and many English speaking countries or that have English as their second language.

Where as the below:

means 'One billion' as well in many other countries e.g. majority of Europe!

Now argue with that if you can? But I doubt it that you will, as you don't have any knowledge into such matters.

Ahem. Both the USA and the UK use a DOT to denote a decimal place not a comma. Other European countries use the comma in place of the dot. But, of course, all knowing MK knew that already ;)

Northerner was correct in asking you if what you wrote meant $1.00 (note the place of the radix point). :D

I'm getting tired of catching you out like that all the time, son. :D

me   

This is bogus, if they said a tunnel, I could have accepted it,but a bridge? its one of the busiest sea lanes in the world, Yemen has nothing to say there. Only the USA can decide that.

Good news,With the increase in motor usage when this bridge is opened I just hope the use of those deathtrap boats will reduce.So many people have died en route because there are so many on boat trying to escape Subxan'Allah.

Taliban   

Originally posted by me:

This is bogus, if they said a tunnel, I could have accepted it,but a bridge?

Why do you think it's bogus? Because a 14 kilometers bridge is impossibly long? There are far longer bridges, some even connecting nations. The bridge in question would span Yemen's Red Sea island of Perim across the strait of Bab al-Mandib to Djibouti.

2gw9s11.png

me   

^No not because its long, but because its a busy shipping lane. You cannot just construct a bridge on a busy shipping lane without there being an International consensus. Yemen or Djibouti alone cannot decide whether to build a bridge there. Thats why I am saying I would believe it if they said that they would build a tunnel.

They have to ask for PERMISSION first. Plus what benefit will it have for Africa or the Middle East? Nada Nothing Nopes.The problems or Africa and M.E are corruption and mismanagement, they should deal with that first and stop wasting time on fantasy projects.

Taliban   

Originally posted by me:

No not because its long, but because its a busy shipping lane. You cannot just construct a bridge on a busy shipping lane without there being an International consensus. Yemen or Djibouti alone cannot decide whether to build a bridge there. Thats why I am saying I would believe it if they said that they would build a tunnel.

They have to ask for PERMISSION first. Plus what benefit will it have for Africa or the Middle East? Nada Nothing Nopes.The problems or Africa and M.E are corruption and mismanagement, they should deal with that first and stop wasting time on fantasy projects.

How does a bridge interfere with or affect a busy shipping lane? I don't believe it does. There are other bridges in many nations, some local bridges, others connecting nations, some with far more traffic than traffic in Bab al-Mandib. I am sure you're familiar with some US bridges, like the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge (suspension bridge, 14 km long, 160 m height from water level) which is one of the busiest bridges in the United States. About asking permission to construct, what law requires that?

IMG_8980-a.jpg

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by me:

^No not because its long, but because its a busy shipping lane. You cannot just construct a bridge on a busy shipping lane without there being an International consensus. Yemen or Djibouti alone cannot decide whether to build a bridge there. Thats why I am saying I would believe it if they said that they would build a tunnel.

Me, you are 110% right saxib. The project will not happen for the following reasons.

Cost

A 14 km bridge across the Red Sea does not cost a mere $1billion (that’s only 500billion sterling). Maybe for 3 times as much yes.

Engineering

A bridge that long in that location needs to be very high with huge spans (to let the ships through). With the depth of the sea to consider aswell, it is very unlikely it can achieve it’s purpose without compromising on certain factors. This will then inevitably have an impact on the passage of ships in that area. Shorter spans and lower bridge will make certain ships make a small ‘diversion’ around Africa.

Commercial

Maritime organizations, oil companies, the Suez Canal Company etc will all object to the project as it will have profound effects on the passage of ships and their businesses. Lets not forget these are international waters aswell so many organizations do have a say on things. A quick sprinkling of the greenback around Djbouti and Yemen would settle the issue if push came to shove.

Economic

A quick feasibility study would determine Djbouti and Yemen have absolutely nothing to offer each other apart from Qaad!

MKA, $1,000,000,000 – that’s how the majority of the world would write $1 billion dollars. Yes there are other ways of writing it (so I’ve been told) but having worked in and studied finance I’m yet to come across it. Even here in the ME they use comas and not decimal points.

This project is feasible. Whether it's neccesary or not is yet to be seen.

With Dubai or anything UAE involved the prject can very will be completed and withing the financial constraints (Remember: UAE uses cheap indian labour and sometimes doesn't pay them, albeit it's wrong but there is no shortage of cheap manpower).

Hopefully this will boast trade from the Middle East to Africa. We could have Canada to Mexico-like distant shipping by land. It should help many landlocked African countries in Central and Eastern Africa.