Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Don't snitch culture

Ashkiro   

Wondering peoples views on this code of so called "ethics". Watch this clip by rapper interviewed by 60 minutes. It's crazy in my opinion but i think its quite common in the black/African community. Let me know what u guys think. Thanks!

Nephissa   

Akhas@the rappers. Who wants to listen to some fool who actually thinks street violence is such a good thing that they don't want the perpetrators caught?

I hear this "dont be a snitch" crap from Somali kids all the time. When our children are gunned down on the street in broad daylight, and nobody says a word as to who did it, there is a problem right there. When did we lose the ability to tell right from wrong, and refused to even acknowledge it? When did we start raising the kids to in this manner?

[Allah forbid] If I see a murder, you can damned well bet I'm going to stand up and point my finger at the guy who took another's life.

Kool_Kat   

It is always easier said than done...Who will guarantee one's safety after he/she points the finger? Certainly not the cops, and even if they did, for how long? So sometimes it might not be worth your safety to point the finger...

This 'don’t snitch' culture usually applies to hustlers/drug dealers/gangs and the likes of them, and as most of the rappers today come from such backgrounds, this is really the only way they know how...It is the way the streets raised the... :mad:

So marka lama yaabayo...

Jacpher   

^Not true. You don't live in Gaalkacyo. You are in land where you CAN remain anonymous.

In rapper country, to snitch is to go unnegro and uncat. Just created a new word there. Nothing to do with our Cool Cat though. The Code of Ethics he's talking about is being religious for hiphop tasbiix, chanting H, N or B word seventy to hundred times a day. Nothing ethical about a negro with dhagodhago. Odagiisaa ku dhib qaba.

I must admit maryooleey have their own version. It's called dhoofsii 'em to criminal paradise. The paradise that welcomes criminals with warm hands and decent people with guns. To go undhoofsii is going against the nomad rules and any oday could declare you ^#%$#>

Cadaan folk do have their version too and a better one I may add. Turn them in temporarily so Cadaan judge can prove them with insanity or mentally challenged. Does America have involuntary 'maanakoobiyo' for these people?

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

You are in land where you CAN remain anonymous.

It is never this black and white my dear, when it comes to pointing the finger...

Jacpher   

I don't know if you do it in the middle of the street with live camera footage but in most cases you do have a choice to have your identity protected or hidden. It all depends on the case and circumstances. No choice to remain silent on dulmi knowingly and intentionally, unless aad abuukaate tahay.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

It all depends on the case and circumstances.

Ishaa ka tuurtay...

LOL@Live camera footage...Might as well sometimes though...

-Lily-   

I didn't watch the clip, however, as a Muslim it is your duty to speak up against injustice, even if it is against yourself.

As for the dhoofis business, wasn't that Somali guy who killed the police woman (in the UK) extradited from Somalia with the help of the Somali community? I think this dhoofis business is the most dangerous message to send to youngsters, commit a crime and your parents will send you back home, just awful.

Thierry.   

Lily I agree with you if you commit a crime you have to do the time the parents or relatives could have taken the easier route of preventing the youth hanging around the streets and hustling and bustling only when it is to late do they start collecting the hagbad money to start sending the youth into hiding.

It would have been a lot easier to use the hagbad money to set up community support, education and job centres.

Alas we are a community that likes to take long and hard route to solve problems.

As for “snitching” it is true that you should tell the truth but who is going to give protection as Kat mentioned a ladies house got burnt down because she informed the police of gangs selling drugs outside her house.

-Lily-   

Obviously safety is important but last I checked, reporting or 'snitching' was an anonymous process.

winnie   

i was trying to find an article, with no success. if any of you know it, please post it.

its about a young girl who witnessed a shooting when she was about 11 years old, and when the article is written she was 19 (a couple of months ago).

anyways, she wasnt the only one to witness the shooting, but the only one to step forward. they offered her witness protection, she relocated and than she was told her grandmother is passing away so she sneaked into her old neighbourhood to visit her grandma one last time.

that very day, she was gunned down, and the police suspect it was the entourage of the man she saw pull a trigger.

the legal system in the US is sad that a case should be out of courts for 8 years. of course now that the only witness to his crime is dead, he gets to walk free.

it seems these gangs have more power in these neighbourhoods than the police do, and i blame the police.

why couldnt they provide her with proper security? why did the case have to wait this long to be done with? so many why's.

Xidigo   

Originally posted by Northerner:

I hate niggers as Cris Rock would say. Cam is a nigger!

So, who are the niggers?