Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Desperate Somalis Turn to Prostitution In Yemen

Juxa   

a mother would do anything for her kids. my heart goes out to those ladies.

may allah ease their suffering

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Maaddeey:

Ngonge, Option kale uma furna miyaa dumarkan?, iyaga & kuwa xeryaha qaxootiga ee Xamar jooga yaa baahan?, mise waxa been ah in Fuxshi & Baahi isku xirneyn?

A starving person has millions of options but if they were all available to him he would not be starving to begin with, saaxib. Sometimes people are forced to take what they could. Understanding that need forces someone to do waht they don't want to is not equal to approving of what they do, saaxib.

This report tells us about those in Yemen but who is to say the ones in the refugee camps you mention don't do the same thing?

This is really sad. my heart goes out to these poor mothers. my allah ease their suffering. how can these yemenis guys have a feeling for these malnurished shan dhal women. xayawaaniin

Kamaavi   

I don't understand why someone would turn away, judge or critizise starving people while he can wish for them to find the help they know they need.

Tuujiye   

^^^ good point.... Somali waxee dhahaa "qofka gaajada heyso, baqtiga buu cunaa!!"

Kibir ayaa idinka wada batay...

Peacenow being in Italy, you should know the past history of the somali woman in that country.

Wareer Badanaa!!!

I just had a look through this thread.

and I'm surprised at the number of otherwise reasonable nomads .. defending prostitution as a necessity.

this is the same kind of garbage in rap lyrics .. where each 'gangsta' claims to be forced into dealing drugs to make some money because he had no alternative.

No doubt some of the refugees have no where else to go .. but I personally know a large number of people who do not fall into the category you are lavishing your pity on. back home they have .. relative security, food, house, monthly remittance etc. but the lure of dhoof is the only thing putting them in that situation so "they were forced into prostitution doesn't" fly

there are few things which are rendered permissible due to necessity .. for example eating pork is permissible if there is no alternative ... but prostitution does not fall under this category.

Blessed   

I guess you will never understand the choices people make when you haven't experienced their pain / walked in their shoes. I do agree that the lure of dhoof is sometimes stronger than common sense, some of these sisters probably invested thousands of dollars just to cross into Yemen but now they find themselves in a reality that so far from their perception of what life in Yemen was like. I doubt selling your body is an easy option for any woman to make. Comparing them to rappers in the US is in bad taste, walaal.

Illahay ha u sahlo is all that I could say.

I disagree walaal.

it is an accurate analogy because they use the same arguments as the people in this thread.

The problem I have with this whole story is much larger than prostitution and is not confined to women ... putting yourself in a situation where it is sure suicide is much worse and that included both men and women .. I knew people who perish on these ratty boats, another guy who died of thirst in the sahara while traveling to Libya from Sudan because the car broke down ... many friends, even an entire family wiped out on the boat two years ago heading out from Libya to Italy.

this is not just 1 or 2 cases and they all had it much better back home .. none of them lived in anything like they hell-hole they live in yemen that is described here ... yet they chose to put themselves at risk and in these situations.

how many families have escaped the daily choas in mugadisho the last few years and have found peaceful and stable residence in puntland and somaliland and other areas of the country. even worse people fleeing from the relatively peacful and stable areas of puntland and somaliland to go to yemen.. tell me what do they have to fear ? what unbearable condition can they be in to justify this ? .. they are starving is not a sufficient answer .. the real people who are starving back home cannot afford the thousands of dollars needed to get to these places.

now I haven't been back home for the last 2 years .. and unless things have drastically changed and I'm not aware of ... it has never got to the point where living in Somalia is worse than depending on prostitution for your daily livelihood.

The madness of it all is some of them get deported back to Somalia and then put together a few thousand dollars to go back to the same wretched place.

Dua and Symapthy for these sisters is well and good lakin runta inaan ka xishono mahan for the fear of appearing politically incorrect.

ailamos   

^ It's not about being politically correct, but rather an attempt to understand the circumstances and be sympathetic to the plight of those women. You make it sound like a simple black and white issue when it's a complicated matter. Starvation is not the only matter that drove them to such a profession but rather the need to take care of their children, if it was just about them I'm sure they would rather perish but it is for their children that they're selling their bodies.

"She has spent 10 months in Yemen living on U.N. handouts and turned to prostitution eight weeks ago to send money to the relatives at home who are looking after her children."

"Alysia, another divorced Somali woman driven into prostitution, said she had paid smugglers to take her on the perilous voyage across the Gulf of Aden to Yemen. "I have to take care of my son. I have to buy him milk," she said."

""My life is a mess. Sometimes men don't pay me. I would do anything else but what?" asked Najma, 34, another Somali sex worker.'

That last one said that people sometimes don't even pay her, so tell me, what is in it for her? I don't think she does it just because she enjoys the sex and the physical abuse.

Yes, there are people in very similar circumstances in Somalia as well and for all we know this could be taking place there as well. The opportunities in Yemen are highlighted:

While alcohol is hard to come by in the capital Sanaa, a few restaurants and beach clubs serve drinks in Aden, luring some weekend tourists from austere Gulf states such as Saudi Arabia.

In Aden's Tawahi seaside district, prostitutes work in cheap hotels or clubs which have adjacent "motels."

Which means that the tourists from richer countries are their main clientèle.

Again, none of us know the real circumstances of these women, so better not judge them. Never underestimate desperation.

"Alysia, another divorced Somali woman driven into prostitution, said she had paid smugglers to take her on the perilous voyage across the Gulf of Aden to Yemen. "I have to take care of my son. I have to buy him milk," she said."

contrary to what you may infer from my posts .. I have sympathy for these people in this rough spot but they share a large portion of the blame. The truth of matter is, If you have the money to pay smugglers .. in my books you are not starving.

as I said before brother you are all arguing on the grounds that it is a means of survival and I'm saying survival is possible back home for someone who has the means to to pay thousands of dollars to smugglers .. but if it is about making a little more money or searching for a better life ... then do you still think the end justify the means ?