Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Desperate Somalis Turn to Prostitution In Yemen

Naden   

^ How clinical and social scientist of you, Ibtisam! LOL

What a nightmare of life these women are living. The best thing to do to help is donate money to civil organizations that offer support. Hunger is a monster.

Ibtisam   

^^Make sure you use organisations that exist and do something, giving your money to a rich toog is a *b*i*t**. Plus recently I've started to think that this small donations don't change anything, jst maintains the condition, and makes us feel less guilty once in a while. But then again if it does get there, it makes a difference to the one who gets it.

I can't help it, they took the emotions out of everything, I spent the first two years crying and fighting with everyone for speaking about people in numbers and boxs. icon_razz.gif

Naden   

^ A man whose hand is in water is not like a man whose hand is in the flames.

Ibtisam, that's true. The best organizations are probably those who can get them out of there and to a European/Western destination. Yemen is poorer than poor and will remain so till yom al qiyama.

Ibtisam   

Lool @ Ila Yom al Qiyama, They have recently been given funds to tackle the situation, but they wasting most of it, and lack of research and policy means most of it will go to policy papers and research (unless they divert it else where all together.) I don't see sitution improving anytime soon though.

Khayr   

Layzie G, to justify the legitimacy of prostitution as a contingent necessity resulting from poverty is a slippery slope. Poverty and Wealth are not the ulimate poles in life (poverty being the negative pole and becoming wealthy being the postive pole). That is the capitalist driven model which if taken, has no boundaries except social taboos. The later being changed by each generation (i.e. what was unacceptable 20yrs ago, is acceptable today).

Layie G.,

By your rationale, it would be acceptable and justifiable to steal for food, to cheat for shelter etc...

Ibti, when all else fails, put the professional hat on eh?

I wonder why you are not as emotionally invested in the suffering of SOmalis more than you are on others sufferings, especially if they reside in the middle east.(I think we should explore the connection because I'm most certain there is something there)

I'm not one to brag about my volunteer work but one thing I will tell you is that if you have put your efforts in the Dadaab refugee camps, you wouldn't have turned to statistical data to get to the root cause or the length of time people do odd jobs to survive because bottom line is these people dont have anywhere to turn, thats the simple truth. Whether they are in Kenya or Yemen, the story is the same. uprooted from their homes by violence, only thinking about the next move, where to go, how to feed the family and praying that tomorrow will be better. Hope and prayer is what motives these people and it keeps their spirits up and to face the struggles that tomorrow will bring.

Now, I asked you questions before and you have ignored them but I will say, when I read stories such as the one on this thread, the first thing I think about is, should I be doing more, because the question isnt whether I am doing something but how much of it I'm doing that is making a difference. I question myself, I get angry and I really hate when good people turn their noise at the suffering of somalis or dismiss it as nothing more than a headline grabber. I'm a Somali first and the pain of these people pain is my pain. Their suffering should be my suffering and I'm always emotional about topics that highlight the sufferings of our women and children.

Naden   

Maaddeey, those are heartless and disgusting words. Saqajjaannimo? I would wish a fate similar to theirs onto you but I won't. Only that you run into similar compassion and understanding in your lowest moment.

Ibtisam   

Lazy:

Well good for you dear, I’m glad you push yourself and you get so angry and I hope you are able to do more for them.

As for what I am emotionally invested in, you could not even being to understand, so we'll keep that door firmly close shall we. :cool:

As for data, the causes are obvious, the data tells you where or who you shall be focusing on or prioritising, without data you are a headless chicken running around.

Don't know what questioned you asked me, must have missed it?

^people's testimonies are just as relevant. YOu can not rely solely on data gathering as that will narrow your view and your findings will be lost in the wave of the figures presented, even if it has relevant solutions to the causes.

Ibtisam   

^^^Where do you think the data comes from? It certainly does not drop out of the sky, in the Somali context sadly all we have is people's testimonies!

It is sad but same in everywhere ,,, Somalis are not different from the other races that face the same social problems.

Allah nolol taas ka fiican ha ugu beddelo ,,,, aamiin