Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Tips for Ramadan.

Ibtisam   

Just share your Tips.

1--Eat, drink and be moderate

Almost all of us do it - once Iftar time hits, we just keep plowing food and drink into our mouths till it's hard to move afterwards. And those of us who do it know this is totally contrary to the spirit of Ramadan, through which we're supposed to learn self-control not self-indulgence. Let's try to stick to the Prophetic rule on eating: fill our stomachs with one-third food, one-third water and one-third breathing space, even in Ramadan.

2---Give a pound/dollar a day in charity...or five or ten

The Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, was always generous but even more so in Ramadan. Let's open our hearts and dig a little deeper in our wallets this year. Even less than a pound/dollar a day adds up. Whatever you can give, it's the intention that counts.

3---Memorize 4 new paragharahs (help me out someone, the mini chapters (saafxad) can't remember what they are called right now) a day

Memorizing the Quran often seems like a daunting task. But the key is doing it in small bites. Since there are four weeks in Ramadan, try to memorize one new Surah a week. Start off with a short, easy one. Once you've started, you'll build momentum and may even want to memorize a longer one the following week.

4---Go to Tarawih prayers, this also to the sisters, if you have someone to go with and it is safe,

Post-Iftar, the first urge is to sleep after an exhausting day. But try your best to head out to the mosque for Tarawih prayers. Praying alone is wonderful, but doing it in congregation is fantastic. The community spirit is part of Ramadan's blessings. Don't miss it, try and not add to your sins by arguing, pushing or annoying people (this includes smells, cleaness) or talking about people). Don't rush out of the mosque with out praying Withir, and hearing the heart-rending Duas that follow it.

5---Stop swearing and/or backbiting you should not do it anyway, but try harder In Ramadan, when we want to build our spirituality, we've got to wage Jihad against our bad habits.

6---Call/email your relatives, visit the sick it is charity

Strengthening ties with family members and keeping in touch with friends is part of our way of life and an act Allah is very pleased with. This Ramadan, call/email family and friends ask them how their ramadan is going, but don't waste all your time doing this.

7--Go on a technology diet

Even if you work in the IT industry, you can do this. Avoid checking personal email and surfing the web during your fast. After Iftar, instead of plopping yourself in front of the screen, go to Tarawih. The same goes for the television. The point is to try to give our full attention to spiritual elevation this month.

8---Read 5 minutes of Quran a day...just five, not more, not less

Even if you feel you've got absolutely no time, set a timer or the alarm on your cell phone and find a relatively quiet place. You can read the first page of the Quran you open or follow a sequence. Simply connect with God through His revelation in the month of the Quran.

9---Forgive everyone who has hurt you

Still got a festering wound from the fight with your friend last year? Still upset about something your spouse said during a heated argument? Or are you still bitter about the way your parents sometimes treated you as a kid? Let go of the anger and pain this Ramadan and forgive those who have hurt you. Forgiving someone is not only good for the body, but it's also great for the soul. And in Ramadan, ten days of which are devoted to Allah's forgiveness, shouldn't we lesser beings forgive too? Allah will forgive those who forgive others.

smile.gif

P.s. Add on your tips...

N.O.R.F   

^^A question for Nur me thinks.

Ramadan tips?

Be the first to phone family and friends to greet with the blessed month 'Ramadan Kariim'

What Is Your Objective in Ramadan?

By Ali Al-Halawani

For one’s life to be meaningful, it has to have a goal that is worked toward or striven for. If one leads all of one’s life without a goal to be achieved or an end to be reached, all of one’s life goes with the wind. This is true of all people, Muslims and non-Muslims alike. But for a Muslim, this issue has much more value, as the end-goal is to attain Allah’s pleasure and to be granted admission to Paradise in the Hereafter.

Based on this, true Muslims should have an objective for both their whole life and their individual deeds during every minute that they stay on earth.

No one can deny the fact that Allah designed and subjugated the creation in order for man to fulfill the objective he was originally created for, which can be seen in Allah’s saying in His Ever-Glorious Qur’an:

[And I (Allah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone). I seek not any provision from them (i.e. provision for themselves or for My creatures) nor do I ask that they should feed Me (i.e. feed themselves or My creatures).] (Adh-Dhariyat 51:56-57)

In addition, Allah Almighty gives man one chance after another to come back to Him and seek the straight path. As for Muslims, Allah gave them the month of Ramadan as a great opportunity to increase their potential good deeds and decrease their sinful ones, to help them attain Paradise in the Hereafter. Ramadan is the month where the reward for good deeds is multiplied manyfold by the grace of Allah. Thus, it is a real opportunity to overcome the obstacles of life and the malicious schemes of Satan.

Set a goal for yourself in Ramadan which you will do your best to achieve. Let that goal be to save yourself from Hellfire and to enjoy Allah’s pleasure and salvation during that noble month.

In order for you to achieve that lofty goal, you will have to stop with yourself at some important stations. These stations go as follows:

With Fasting

Let your objective this Ramadan be that you abstain from all that is prohibited for you by Allah. So do not cheat or lie or backbite or usurp others’ properties or gaze at what Allah has prohibited (the opposite sex). It is well-known that fasting is of three degrees:

1. Abstaining from food, drink, and intimate intercourse.

2. Keeping your ears, eyes, tongue, hands, and feet, and all other bodily organs free from sins.

3. Avoiding occupying your heart with unworthy concerns and worldly thoughts, and upholding nothing in your heart but Allah the Almighty.

So, what holds you back from drawing nearer to Allah and being one of those very few people who observe fasting of that third and special degree?

With Standing in the Night in Prayer

Have an objective this Ramadan to perform a minimum of eight rak`ahs in Prayer after `Isha’ and before Fajr in addition to Shaf` and Witr. Do not let anything prevent you from performing these precious rak`ahs every night in Ramadan. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said the following:

It is highly recommended for you to observe Qiyam al-Layl (Night Prayer), for it was the practice of your righteous predecessors. Qiyam al-Layl brings you closer to your Lord, atones for your sins, drives disease from your body, and stops transgression. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

With the Qur’an

Be keen on finishing reading the whole Qur’an at least once during the month of Ramadan. Recite at least one of its 30 parts every day. What if you are not that good at reading the Qur’an? You should not despair or be disappointed, for there is still a chance for you to gain reward from Allah. This can be achieved by listening directly to one who has better recitation, listening to a recording, or listening to a radio station. Spending your time listening to Qur’anic recitation is also good and rewarding.

With Ties of Kinship

During Ramadan, you should be keener on being connected with your family and relatives, especially those whom the vicissitudes of life prevent continual communication with. Spend some money on getting reconnected with them. You may assign, let us say, $10 for this purpose. Imagine, this tiny sum of money could bring you together with all your relatives! It will also bring you nearer to Allah the Almighty.

Also, in so doing, try to remember the hadith in which Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that a person said this:

“Allah’s Messenger, I have relatives with whom I try to have a close relationship, but they sever (this relation). I treat them well, but they treat me ill. I am sweet to them but they are harsh towards me.” Upon this he (the Prophet) said, “If it is so as you say, then you in fact throw hot ashes (upon their faces) and there would always remain with you on behalf of Allah (an angel to support you) who would keep you dominant over them so long as you adhere to this (path of righteousness).” (Muslim)

With Charity

Let there be a charity that you give to in Allah’s cause every day in Ramadan. The reward for charity and all other good deeds is multiplied manyfold in Ramadan. This is one of the blessings of this auspicious month. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, “Give out charity, for it guarantees your salvation from Hellfire” (At-Tabarani). However, what if you do not know one or it is not that easy for you to access a charity every day? You could try to gather and combine your charity every 10 days, for example, and then give it out at once.

With Dhikr (Remembrance of Allah)

Keep your tongue wet with the continuous remembrance of Allah. Remembrance of Allah is one of the best kinds of worship that is due for Allah, as well as one of the easiest kinds of worship for those for whom Allah makes it easy. The story of Hudair, one of the Prophet’s Companions who was persistent in remembering Allah during one of the great battles of early Islam, is a good example of the reward Allah Almighty has set for those who remember Him very frequently. It is reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) forgot to give Hudair his provision for the journey, but the remembrance of Allah removed his need for food for several days, till the Angel Jibreel descended to inform the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) about his case. The Prophet sent another companion after Hudair carrying the necessary provision for him.

With Supplication

A true Muslim should be keen on using “the believer’s weapon,” du`aa’ (supplication to Allah), in every situation. This is true of every situation that occurs for a Muslim in daily life. During fasting, stick to making du`aa’, because in this state you are nearer to Allah and your supplications are more likely to be accepted. Thus, you should make du`aa’ to Allah all the time and not forget that Allah responds to the invocations of the supplicant when he or she calls on Him sincerely from the heart. Allah says in His Ever-Glorious Qur’an:

[And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad—peace be upon him) concerning Me then (answer them) I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright.] (Al-Baqarah 2:186)

Finally, let your other objective in Ramadan be to set your head free from things that can take you to Hellfire, by doing all the aforementioned things; they are so easy for those for whom Allah makes them easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Ali Al-Halawani is a Ph.D. Student, the managing editor of the Shari`ah Department (English), and Assistant to the Editor-in-Chief of the English IslamOnline Web site. He graduated from Al-Azhar University and got his MA in religious translation from the Faculty of Al-Alsun (Languages), Al-Minia University. He writes occasionally for Islamonline.net. You can reach him at

-Lily-   

It's going extremely well so far, aside from feeling a little cold.

All you coffee addicts, suckers! Oh yeah, it's Ramadan, I'm meant to be nice...in future, try not to depend on coffee so much smile.gif .

Enjoy your Afur all!

Ibtisam   

Lily I cannot believe your day is going so well (mashallah :D ) you see Lily, I do the same thing as you for Suxuur, but I think that Afur to Afur fasting practice has to go this year, the day is so long!, I cannot believe it is not even 3pm yet, I feel like I'm going to pass out! :(

On a good note, I'm going to change my work hrs 7am till 2pm, as I cannot function at all.

-Lily-   

Ghanima, it's early days and your body needs time to adjust. I don't think it's worth it to get up, who can eat at 4am? Especially since you can pray a lot later.

Som@li   

Ramadaan kariim to you and thanks Ghanima!

Ghanima, I read the tips too late,I just had my iftar, I cant move!lol.

The first day of Ramdan was going fine, till at 4 pm, when I had this road rage with ****** Indian driver!

RedSea   

^ :D oops Dabshid. Do a half mile run, you should be fine then.

Ghanima,

how can we thank you. Well the best I can think of is Jazakallahu khayran Jazaa walale. smile.gif

Blessed   

Here's a Quraan reading chart for those of you who want to do khetmah.

Day 1 Fatiha 1 - Baqara 126

Day 2 Baqara 127 - Baqara 252

Day 3 Baqara 253 - Ali imran 92

Day 4 Ali imran 93 - Anisaa 23

Day 5 Nisaa 24 - Nisaa 147

Day 6 Nisaa 148 - Maedaa 81

Day 7 Maedaa 82 - An3aam 110

Day 8 An3aam 111 - A3raf 87

Day 9 A3raf 88 - Anfaal 40

Day 10 Anfal 41 - Taoba 92

Day 11 Taoba 93 - Hood 05

Day 12 Hood 06 - Yusuf 52

Day 13 Yusuf 53- Ibrahim 52

Day 14 Alhejer 01 - Al Nahel 128

Day 15 Alisraa 01 - Kahef 74

Day 16 Kahef 75 - Taha 135

Day 17 Anbiaa 01 - Haj 78

Day 18 Almoamenon 01 - Forqan 20 -

Day 19 Forqan 21 - Namel 55

Day 20 Namel 56 - Ankaboot 45

Day 21 Ankaboot 46 - Ahzab 30

Day 22 Ahzab 31 - Yaseen 27

Day 23 Yaseen 28 - Alzomar 31

Day 24 Alzomer 32 - Foselat 46

Day 25 Foselat 47 - Jathiaa 37

Day 26 Ahkaaf 01 - Thariat 30

Day 27 Thariat 31 - Alhadid 29

Day 28 Al-mujadala 01 - Al-tahreem 12

Day 29 Al-mulek 01 - Morsalat 50

Day 30 Al-nabaa 01 - Al-naas 06

RedSea   

^Thanks walal. I think everyone should. Without Quran ramadan can't feel like Ramadan.

But I started from suratul Naas and I am at suratul Jinn right now . At this pace I should be able to at least finish the Quran twice during this month and probably once more in the last 10 of Ramadan.

Thanks walal once again.