Sign in to follow this  
Ducaysane

How was your night?

xabad;911858 wrote:
what topic of calculus blackie ? this is my field

Just general first year calculus (mean value theorem, epsilon-delta etc.). We're now discussing the fundamental theorem of calculus/intergration.

xabad;911899 wrote:
cool. what are the jobs prospects for folks like you who graduate? if you don't mind.

It depends. I'm in Computer Science/Physics and the prospects are pretty good for programmers in Toronto as there is booming startup scene here. If you're a petroleum/chemical/geological engineer you're best bet is to head over to Alberta, Sasketchewan or Northern Ontario as they are resource intensive and starving for engineers. A word of caution though as the engineering proffesion is rather restrictive in Canada in comparison to the United States.

If your in the trades then you're pretty much set. There is a huge shortage of welders, machinists, millwrights etc. in Canada and tens of thousands of migrants (primarily from the Phillipines) every year come here to fill it.

Wadani   

STEM degrees and Trades are the way to go nowadays . Only do an arts degree if ur gonna take it all the way and become a PHD/Prof. I wish I knew this before going to uni, but I had no real mentors besides my mother, and I only found out how right she was in retrospect. Id be finishing up med school right now If i'd only listened to her. But Alxamdulillah calaa kulli xaal.

Wadani   

Haatu, waa field aad u waanagsan walaal. Dib u dhis farbadan ayuu wadankeenu u baahanyahay, haddaad civil engineer noqotidna kaalin wayn ayaad ka qaadan kartaa dib u soo noolaynta magaaloyinka soomaalia, amaba NFD'da aad ka timid.

Haatu   

I have this fascination with high speed rail and urban transport. Its one of the reasons I'm interested in this field. Imagine catching a bullet train from Xamar to Hargeysa? Sounds nice right :D

students eh?

i remember when i was a young student. life was very different then.....

Haatu, its been rumoured that abdi iley is in talks with the ethiopian rail company to link jigjiga on to the grid. why don't you go home and volunteer before starting your studies. at least, you won't be short of ice-breakers in those crucial uni social events.....:D

i use to tell people, i was a prince from a small kingdom. they loved hearing my stories.:D

Haatu   

Alpha, I'm not on good terms with Iley at the moment so I'll pass :D

Xabad, good field but a bit boring IMO.

xabad;911922 wrote:
what about electrical and electronics engineering ?

The electric engineering sector is the worst of them all in Canada (unless you're a power engineer). The collapse of Nortel during dot-com bubble has flooded the country with thousands of jobless Masters and Ph.D holders in Electrical/Computer Engineering, the effects of which can still be felt today. As always, if you were/are a strong student (95th percentile or so) you'd have better oppurtunities in the U.S.

xabad;911980 wrote:
Good to hear, because Power is my specialty. but I am no where near 95th percentile.

Nice! My uncle's friend (he's Somali) works at a nuclear power facility right outside Toronto.