Sign in to follow this  
sweet_gal

How did you find your first Job?

Asalamu-alikum to everyone who reads this

Where do I start, I've been looking for a job for the past month and I still haven't found one. So I was just wondering if you guys/girls have anytips to give on ways to find a job quickly when you don't have real experience. Like I've never been a cashier or sales person. What do you put on your resume when you're a person with no previous experience in the job market. I've voluntered for different places and thats about it.

Let me tell you what I've been doing well first off I don't use a cover letter and I am starting to think if I added a cover letter I would get hired.

I just go to different stores ask if they're hiring and they always take my resume but never call.

So my question to everyone is do you add cover letters to your resume and send thank you letter after your interview. Also how did you find your first job, what did you do to get hired?. What was your first interview like? * I've had practise interviews but no real one so far*. And anything else you want to add.

Hope to hear form everyone who's as frustrated as me and those who can help.

Did you mention something about finding a "JOB"???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

My pet peeve is looking for a job...

Deep down, I believe that I was born to just relax and never work for a living, and I think thats what I should be doing, is not working, but hey, do I have a choice???

Tips on getting a job/looking for work

#1 Get yourself a new wardrobe

#2 Always be prepared/be sharp

#3 Look good/feel good

#4 Forget cover letter

#5 CROSS OUT RESUMES THAT ARE 2 OR MORE PAGES

I am going to explain to you why I abide by these rules....

#1 You gotta look good, and by doing so, aside from your good looks, you gotta have a wardrobe to work it.(EMPLOYERS LOVE FOLKS WHO KNOW HOW TO DRESS AND WORK IT AT THE SAME TIME) (IT LEAVES A LASTING IMPRESSIONG, LIKE WHOA)

#2 My favourite rule of all...if u are not prepared, and you are going from monday and resting tuesday, wednesday and going back to look for work on thursday is waste of time...YOu gotta be prepared and always on the run, if someone gives ya a call back, dont say I am not available today, go same day interview....dont try to act hard to get when u finally get that trashy job, just go and do the interview, even if u dont like the job, accept it, doesnt mean u will be there, but just something to pass along time with....(THE MORE LOUSY JOBS THAT CALL FOR U, THE MORE U GO TO INTERVIEWS, THE CHANCES OF FINDING THAT ONE JOB U ENJOY)

#3 LOOK PRETTY, LOOK PRETTY...gotta look pretty

We already have one foot on that interview room just by looking adorable, by that I mean, we have the upperhand when it comes to lasting impressions, when u look good, if the interviewer or the employer u handing your resume to is female, she will compliment u or she will remember u when she skips through your resume, and definitely make a mental note...if its a male employer who just happens to take your resume, he sure will me impressed enough to put a good word for u on top of that make sure the right hands get your resumes because he wants to see you back again???? ;););)

#4 Don't bother to try and frustrate yourself into writing cover letters, why botheR??????????????

Each job requires u to write a cover letter, if asked, do it, but if its not requeired, why waste your energy?????????????

Cover letters are BS..............

#5 If you have a resume that has 2 or more pages, forget it, YOU WILL NOT GET HIRED...MATTER OF FACT, YOU ARE FIRED BEFORE YOU ARE HIRED...THEY WILL NOT BOTHER LOOKING AT YOUR RESUME, FULL OF NONSENSE THAT DOES NOT BENEFIT THEM....

MY SUGGESTION???? Whenever you apply for specific job, try to include the qualifications that meets that job, and exclude anything that is meaningless to that job...

For instance, if u dont have customer service skills, yet u are apply for customer service field...and all u have is some technical skills, and nothing else, try to make it personal, say u dealt with this and that back in this and that...instead of frustrating yourself into finding words that dont exist....make it personal when u cant find certain qualificians that employers look for...

Best of all Sweet Gal, try to relax, not finding work isnt the day of the world...

Believe me, there are tons of jobs out there for each one of you 9-5 suckers....

Follow my tips and I guarantee you, within the next few weeks, you will find something, even if its throwing trash cans.... icon_razz.gif

LAYzy No wonder u don't hav a JOB ur LAYzy icon_razz.gif .....sweet_gal do the opposite of what was suggested....am sure u'll land a JOB as a CEO.. keep ur head up baby gal it will come..

asxantu

Sweet gal you are not alone in the "job hunters field". recently i have been looking for a job and you can't count how many applications i had filed but it seems naah.jobs are hard to find these days however lazygirl had suggested some good tips. but i don't understand since lazy does not work or did she said she never worked how comes you are giving tips to the girl. Keep hoping girl insha allah you will find when the time comes.

shoobaro she can't even find a cashier or sales let a lone a CEO

NGONGE   

Sweet girl, you seem to be doing the right things there. Some of the suggestion Lazy girl gave are useful too. But your real downfall seems to be the lack of experience in the job market!

Your first step should be to approach an employment agency (don’t know if you have any of these where you live). You’re likely to land a few temporary jobs here and there which you can add to your CV (resume). This will hopefully increase your confidence when you go to interviews for “proper†jobs.

As Lazy girl already stated, every job is different and you need to design your resume accordingly. For many jobs for example, you’ll need to emphasise your problem solving abilities, your team working skills and your natural talent for grasping difficult concepts. Some jobs require specific abilities and if you believe you have those abilities then you really need to highlight them in your resume.

Interviews are a lottery but you can do a few things to at least make them remember you favourably when making their decisions. Dress right, take your time when answering questions (don’t daydream though) and act as if you know what you’re talking about (any research about the job you do beforehand will come in handy here).

The best way of finding a job though is to tell everyone you know (and don’t know) that you’re looking for a job. Someone somewhere will pass you information of a sure thing.

Good luck. :D

Job! Even the word makes me itch *scratches knees and between toes* .

Sweet Girl, I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and this no-experience part was getting on my last nerve. So one of my friends hinted I should fake it...and so I did. I added a couple of phoney jobs with no reference and one job that I referenced my own friend - as if he was my employer. It worked .

One thing about CV's like NGONGE said is that each CV has to be relevant and specific to the job you're applying for. There are two types of CV's.. Skill based and Chronological. The former is more effective but in your case, since you're prolly young and inexperienced, I'd suggest the latter. Also, make yourself indispensable to your potential employer. Emphasise on your team working skills, numeracy level, communication skills, etc..citing some examples from your school work where you might have worked in a group, lead a project, gave a presentation etc. At the end of the day - SELL YOURSELF

Also, dont sell yourself short and apply for a menial job just 'cause you dont have any experience. Aim High. They always train you anyways.

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Seven of Nine:

Job
! At the end of the day -
SELL YOURSELF

Bisinka iyo Tabarak what are you advising sis...? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

IL CAPO   

Pick pocketing is such an art that one would need to spend a lifetime to completely master the technique and you can say i became a pick pocketer by chance after i saw my favourite teacher in primary school nicking the chapa bag of the Principal Lady and since that teacher was my idol i thought to myself..if he could do it so am i and as they say the rest is history.

Sincere   

In conjuction with all the above tips mentioned, i will add body language and eye contact.

Always maintain eye contact during your interview. Look the person straight in the eye when responding to a question. Body language speeks alot as well, avoid being fidgety, and sit up straight, with good composure.

One another note,there always hiring managers who have unconventional methods. One VP i encountered in a training session mentioned something that cracked me up. He would interview "entry level" people in groups, and would give them a tour of the facility he worked at. He would intentionally walk at a fast pace just to see who could keep up with him, and sure enough he said there was always 2 or 3 people who lagged behind dragging their feet, and that was an indication of laziness to him. That automatically eliminated them out of contention regardless of their resume or appearance.

I personaly did not agree with him on that.

Good luck

Pacifist   

salaam

First dress professionally

Eye contact is very important

Do research on the company before your interview.

Who ever is interview be it a woman

Girl compliment them on something or mentions ohh those shoes look so comfortable.

Smile Smile Smile and Smile

If you do Hand shake keep it firmly ;)

Read the interviewer and study them

Make sure your happy bubbly

They will probably ask you why you think they should hire you and why you think you are qualified for the job.

Answer your questions right away

make sure you don't have flashy clothes or Jewelery.

Also a good tip hon please don't wear a strong perfume like adar no no no.

good luck and if i remember other tips i will let you know

fi Amanilah

Curly   

That’s practically exploitation! I don’t believe in selling yourself or going to great lengths to beautify yourself for people you’ll end up working along side.

Retail is a hard one to crack, it’s all about selling something if not yourself, I personally think you should set your eyes on something more rewarding. Voluntary work always pays off walaal, stick by it. Just make sure you network whilst in there and build connections with other organisations and before you know it (believe it or not) jobs will be looking for you!

I know I had the same problem once and I use to go as far as telling potential employers when they asked if I had experience

“Experience can only be obtained by a job and job can be obtained by experience…is this a joke or a trick question?!â€

anyways walaal good luck!

dawoco   

Wcs Wr Wb abaayo,

It seems like you have had all the good advice you can get.

One way of doing it would be through friends. I stared my first job with a close friend and it was her mother that got us the job.

As far as jobs go, it is always good to know what you are talking about. Show an intrest, but don't appear too eager. Show thorugh conversation that you have learned something about the place where u wish to work(you have done a bit of homework), but don't sound rehearsed..

Ask questions, through an interview you can decide if a position is good for you, its not only for ur future employer to judge u...It's all about keeping things in measure, at least it was for me.

good luck sis,, insha allah u will find a position soon enough.

Salaam Walaal!!!!!...

Few years ago the word “experience†was killing meee……

Do this…

Go to the internet and look for some of the common interview questions…. Such as: Why do you think we would hire you? Or what are your long and short term goals in this job?.... those questions don’t have any write or wrong answers, but the way you approach them and explain things in details makes the difference…… I remember one of my first interview, the guy asked me ( it was big store): If the store offer you another position in different department would you consider it?... I was so rush to find a job and I replied yes!!!!! That killed me… and as usual I wasn’t hired….. So always try to give an expiration that this job is your dream job,, and it is the one you have always been looking for…..

1. dress nice and casual

2. Make an eye contact..

……….. and so forth

and most importantly, don’t ever worry about getting hired….. Remember Girl……. There is always Jobs and if you don’t get hired today,,,, there is another one waiting for you tomorrow…. And taking more interview will be an experience for you,,,, because you will learn how to take an interview for your dream job….â€CEO OF MICROSOFTâ€â€™â€™ LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL…

A quote from Me “the best experience is the one you learn from your mistakesâ€