Sign in to follow this  
Janna

-Lexus' Thoughts On Canada-

dawoco   

Die-hard somalis such as urself? :D

*salutes dreamer's flag, which curiously isn't canadian* icon_razz.gif

Seriously tho, being somali goes beyond geographical location and tribes and so on, it is the identity of your parents. of your great-great garnd-parents, of the legacy they left behind, even if you never had the oppertunity to become familiar with that legacy. I'm not talking of houses and camels and material inheritances, which benefits non of those who reside abroad. But the familial legacy, our history, the good and the not so good. The way you might eventually bring up your children might bear a strong reflection to the way your grandmother was brought up, which was how your mother was brought up and consequently, how you yourself was raised. And that is something that even foreign soil can't mess with.

So having some gratitude for the country you reside in is not bad, it is very natural, but you can never belong to that country.

*sorry for kidnapping the topic n goin on my rants, i blame it on dreamer for awakening the dreamer in me :D

Qac Qaac   

Do I see somali guy defending America.. looooool

waraa waad hilmaamtay miyaa, in aad shalay timid wadanka..

buddy stop watching a lot of cnn u know the most trusted network lool..

Somerican, can i ask u this, aren't the americans are the ppl that come to june in canada to ski

shyhem   

Dawaco

Serioudly, what is wrong with you lot, with all your patriotism and defence. I'm sure the government of "your" respective countries aren't around 2 read your praises, so relax ppl. The way this topic is heading, some1 will b bursting out in national anthems soon. And i bet it won't have any mention of the country we hail from.

pretty lady,some of us have moved past "we all somalis and therefore we must think the same way" mentality.

What has somalia done for us?Some of you hail from big clans that manufacture warlords faster than a detroit diesel.And whether there is a gov't or not, u have a region or two u can stay with u'r folks peacefully while discussing how a certain warlord from u'r region can be the saviour of all somalis.

Abaayo, not every somali had a good experience in somalia, and therefore not every somali is rushing

to settle or call somalia home.There is no gurantee that anyone will provide them with a safe passage to their former neighbourhoods.

In conclusion,if a somali moves on with his life, without somalia, and considers somewhere other than somalia home than so be it.There is no crime in singing a new national anthem.No man was executed for that,but dive into the qabil oriented somalia and trust me u will have tragedy in u'r hands.I believe some things should be left alone and Somalia(including all the regions) indeed is one of them.

As for Dreamer and Rahiima I'm not done with u guys, and i will come back later to give u guys a dose of u'r own medicine :D

dawoco   

^^I didn't read further than the "pretty lady" part :D

The saying "qofkii dad-xume ku dhoho dad-laawe aa la dhahaa" comes to mind with this topic.

Somalia is a wartorn, qabiil torn country, granted. Many of us can't return to our place of birth, so true. Even more so, many of us were brought up in a country other than Somalia. All of the above apply to me and so many more, but that is where the comparison ends.

No matter how long you live abroad, whether it is Europe or North America, you never stop being Somali. You have no claim on that host country, when push comes to shove. You aren't like the African Americans who have been enslaved, you went there of your free will.

The people of the country you reside in, be it Australia or even Holland, has given you entrance into the said country as an asylum seeker. It was a right granted to you, according to certain laws by those countries. Over time you have worked and studied in that country, integrating fully or partially, depending on the individual. Over time you think, “Well wait a minute, I was persecuted in the country I was borne in, and yet this other country, which was said to be bad, has taken me in and allowed me to create a comfortable life for myself.†Your sense of belonging shifts from a country you only have bad memories of to a country you reside in. All of this is all well and good, but hold on….Does this mean you are now part of that country?

Bro you may display the star and spangles proudly but you are as American as I am white, and trust me, moi and white equal opposites. Even though you may have the passport of the country you are in, you live there at the discretion of the government of the country you reside in, which in turn listens to those who have more links to the said country.

You, my brother, have no links to the Boston tea party, nor did any of your ancestors write the pledge of allegiance. Neither can you claim that the American society owes you anything, as your ancestors weren’t enslaved by the ancestors of the whites in America. Ok, so the same goes for other immigrants like Italians and Germans who have settled there. And furthermore, my opinions are null and void by the fact that the only true Americans are the Native Americans, as the rest migrated there over some centuries, but there is a twist to it..

The only difference between them and you is that they have been there for longer and that integration was easier for them as they are white.

The point I am trying to make is that you have no links to America religion and history wise. You will be Somali because of your name, because of how you look and because of who your parents are. Regardless of how much you despise the current situation in Somalia that is a little fact that you can’t escape. Also, remember, they LET you live in America, they can easily change their minds and DEMAND that you leave their country, as soon as something resembling peace occurs in Somalia. So don’t just cut the umbilical cord to the home land, as you might become “ninkii dhulkana ka tagay cirkana gaari waaye"...

*sorry if i slaughtered the somali language in this reply.

“Soomaliyad baad tahay†they say. “Waa in aad dalkii ku noqotaa and help put it back on its feetâ€, hooyo macaan says. I, not wanting to seem detached and cold, just nod in agreement. But I know that deep down inside, I never want to go back. I never want to be subjected to prejudices. I don’t want to be inconvenienced. I don’t want to feel alienated. I don’t want to re-adjust…. I don’t want another change. Although I speak in that rather admirable tone sometimes Dawaco, going back home is not a realistic option for any of us 3rd generation kids. The Italians and Germans in your example started off somewhere and for me and my future, this is where I start. I’ve already started, and to continue shouldn’t be too difficult I hope… but I’m certain it wont be as challenging as having to relocate back home. And the sooner we start sinking in our roots wherever we r, the better the chances of being like those well adjusted Italian/Greek/Jewish americans. Living in this state of suspended animation, is counter productive considering the state of Somalia after 14yrs, and we risk having future generations go through the same restlessness and inability to identify with one region as permenant residence. I'm not thinking of cutting ties with everything Somali (its where my roots lie).. but like some of the others, I'm ready to settle here and call it home. Just like Dreamer and Somerican, I dont feel I own Somalia/land anything. Infact, I'm at a point in my life where I feel nothing but grief concerning the place.

…. So in a few years when I get ma passport… I’ll be a proud british :D

Somerican,

If it takes you that long to compose a thought..then by all means take all the time you need. Don't strain your brain in the process though. :D

Enchantment,

How cute. Your still a bloody refugee. :D

^^Aaaminah or who ever this is...

Iam really saddened to hear you speak in such ways or hold a grudge of such magnitude agianst your birth place walaahi.

You write

I never want to go back. I never want to be subjected to prejudices. I don’t want to be inconvenienced. I don’t want to feel alienated. I don’t want to re-adjust…. I don’t want another change. Although I speak in that rather admirable tone sometimes Dawaco, going back home is not a realistic option for any of us 3rd generation kids.

Am really amazed by your concept, infact where you live now is where your subjected to prejudices every day directly or indirectly, it's where your alienated and seen as inconvenienced by your phony peers that even work with you.

If you think going back home is not a realistic option for the third generation somalies, how on earth would you expect the fourth generation to have an identity apart from their place of brith. Sister it's us that have to break that thinking pattern for our kids and their kids.

Ps: I would give an eye if i weren't a bloody SOMALIAN

Isra's Dad

Faheema.   

Going back home is not a realistic option for any of us 3rd generation kids.

As a “3rd generation kid†I would go back anytime and help stabilize the economy…of course with the right financial backing :D ... Yes, it will be difficult at first…but you didn’t fit like a glove when you first arrived in the western world…so why should this be any different?

Lets' get back to basics shall we ;)

LANDER   

Originally posted by SomericaN:

Canada sucks.The only thing they are good at is dog sledging and timber logging.They can't even play hockey no more and can't even maintain the NHL.

canusa.jpg

^^^I can tell ya, it ain't the canadian player on the bottome if you need it to be pointed out. :D

dawoco   

lol@third generation. To my knowledge we are all first generation immigrants in the countries we live in, as we are the ones that weren't born here. The third generation will be the children of our children, who themselves will be second generation. That is, if we stay here long enough to have children and set our roots here.

Of course I could be wrong in that some of us sol'ers have not only been born in the countries they are, but have parents that were born there too...

Tuujiye   

waraa maxaa waqti iskaga lumineysaan ciyaalkaan xunxunka ku koray qurbaha..

YO it doesn't matter if you go back or not, one thing y'all need to know is that u will always seen as a refugee with out land if you stay someone alses home...We don't belong in CANADA, USA,UK, or any other 1st world countries... We are Somalians like it or not...and when y'all go back you will meet crazy somalian like my self who will make your life fun..lol...

How could someone with the right blood think not to go back home.."dhiigiina oomo aa ku jirto ama saliid UFFFFF" hanaga xanaajinina nacalaa iskaarbihiina kutaalee!!!!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Pucca   

does canada actually "belong" to only one group of people? if so, who are they? if you're thinking its the white man...then you're wrong, canada truely belongs to the aborignals who society has cast aside. so when all is said and done, EVERYONE in canada is or was a refugee at one point in their lives.

one more thing, somalia isn't in its best shape at the moment so if someone says they dont want to go back, respect that. there's no need to force it down their throat and lecture about pride in one's country and all the other stuff that was mentioned. i personally dont see myself going to somalia anytime in the near future, by that i'm not denying the fact that i'm somali nor am i rejecting my country.

peace