Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Going to a Wedding?

NGONGE   

Amal is going to a wedding next week. She normally does not start worrying about what to wear until a day or two before the wedding. But this wedding is different.

Ten years ago, Amal had a fight with Samira over a man. The man is now long forgotten by both women but the fight and the mutual hatred is not!

Next week’s wedding is important because Amal’s distant cousin is marrying Samira’s distant cousin. The whole world knows about the feud existing between the two ladies and both women plan to ensure they steal the show with their stylish dresses.

Having looked at her own face in the mirror on Sunday morning and seen the encroaching wrinkles and scattered black spots, Amal resolved to take the week of work and to instead concentrate on making herself nice and pretty for the upcoming wedding. She also checked her wardrobe and did not find any dresses worthy of this momentous occasion. She made a few phone calls and arranged with a couple of her girlfriends to meet up the next day and go dress, makeup and accessory hunting.

On a rainy and miserable Monday morning, the ladies met up and drove to the most popular destination in town for traditional Somali dresses. They knew that the prices would be astronomical, knew the range and quality would be poor and knew the customer service would be nonexistent! But Amal was still optimistic and claimed that her gut feeling will help her unearth the best dress ever seen!

Amal is tall, of an average build and has a pretty face with the colour of an old newspaper. Her hands and feet are unusually large. For a spinster that is thirty-five years old, she has lovely smooth skin and perky upright breasts. She has full dark lips and teeth like a row of wild Spanish villas!

The two friends accompanying her on the day were Barwaqo and Yasmeen. Barwaqo is chubby and has a strong resemblance to a medium sized bouncy castle; she also has the temperament of one. Yasmeen on the other hand is petite, flat chested, flat-nosed and with eyes like the headlights of a seven serious BMW!

As the three women walked towards their first shop, Amal asked the other two if it would be a good idea to ditch her hijab for this wedding. Barwaqo, who is the more feral of the two girls, told her that this would be a great idea. She went on to explain her logic as follows:

Barwaqo: You’ve always had great hair, yeah? I’m not disrespecting the hijab or nothing but everybody knows it is not important to wear one when you go to a wedding. It’s the Somali way, love. Plus, there are many more looks you can have when you’re not wearing a hijab than when you’re wearing it. You also don’t want to look like an old woman, yeah? I bet Samira wont be wearing no hijab!

Amal was nodding throughout this address but still felt guilty about ditching her hijab. She turned round to Yasmeen and asked her opinion. Yasmeen, due to her tiny size and overall flatness, is hardly ever asked her opinion by any one that knows her. Having been asked directly in this unexpected manner, she started to stutter and hyperventilate the words ‘hijab is good’, ‘hijab is important’, ‘it’s a sin to take your hijab off’, ‘if Samira does not wear one then maybe you should not wear one too’, ‘but hijab is important, etc’! At this point, Barwaqo had an inspired thought and shared it with the two ladies thus:

Barwaqo: Listen yeah, you’re feeling guilty about taking off your hijab but still want to take it off yeah! How about you take your hijab off but wear a wig or have extensions, yeah? That way your hair is uncovered and you don’t have to feel guilty, right? Besides, some girls wear very colourful and sexy hijabs that are even worse than baring your hair. I truly reckon you’ll look great with your hair out. Just have long extensions, love. Long hair suits you.

Having delivered this convincing speech, Barwaqo went back to badmouthing Samira and her entire family. Amal on the other hand had a new thought and dilemma to think about. She was wondering if she should have some henna done for this wedding. The bouncy castle sprung into action again and spat out the following:

Barwaqo: having henna done is good but you don’t want Samira to think that you’re trying too hard. If this was your sister’s, brother’s or first cousin’s wedding you may be able to get away with having some henna done. But this is only a distant cousin’s wedding and you don’t want to give the impression that you’re one of those women that attend every wedding in town. NO! You’ve got to be subtle, natural and classy. Let Samira do the vulgar look instead.

Again, Amal was nodding her head in agreement and made the mistake of asking Yasmeen’s opinion once more! Poor Yasmeen almost chocked on her chewing gum as she was brought out of her daydream about the praise she got from her father’s cards partner when she presented him with some pancakes she made the other day! She replied that henna was good but as soon as she caught sight of the condescending looks she was getting from Barwaqo she swallowed hard, losing the chewing gum in the process, and mumbled something about how Amal’s beauty alone was sufficient to upstage most of the other women in the wedding. Henna will make you go a step further and upstage the bride, said Yasmeen. That wont be fair, she added.

The other two women laughed at Yasmeen’s simplicity and made a joke about a previous occasion involving all three women, when Yasmeen had made similar pointless remarks. Yasmeen shuffled her feet and laughed along, even though she had no idea what the problem was!

The ladies were walking out of the tenth shop they visited that day and there was still no sign of that gorgeous dress that Amal was after. She was starting to panic and even contemplated not going to the wedding. But with bouncy old Barwaqo around she knew there was no going back. The ladies walked into a few more shops, bought their accessories and make up yet got no dresses!

To be continued...

(Would have probably gone further if I didn't have to stop and argue with A&T on the other thread).

Baluug   

Wow Ngonge, you go into intricate detail regarding the women's features, dontcha? :D Now you got me wondering if a fictional character is single!! :D

NGONGE   

^^ :D

I have no idea. I just make it up as I go along. Plus, describing women's features is always interesting. :D

Malika   

^I worry about you sometimes,how many sisters do you have? way too much insight into women's psychic's.. :D:D

-Lily-   

The bouncy castle sprung into action again and spat out the following

LoooL, acudibillahi, what unfortunate looking women! Malika, I agree. Nonetheless, a good read. Haye Ngogne, ma leysku soo boodi doona?

Amal is tall, of an average build and has a pretty face with the colour of an old newspaper

:D:D

Nice read Ngonge ,,, waiting for the next part.

nuune   

Duq Ngonge, alaab khattar ah ayaad meesha keentay, bal qeebta kalena ku sii dar, hanagu bar goynin sheekada smile.gif

Ms DD   

Hello there Ngonge

One issue:

Unmarried 35yr old is NOT spinister. Why ..it is their prime and at the peak of womanhood. She is a wisdom, she is healing, compassion, and mirth. They draw their strength from experience. Truly single women are "better educated, healthier, less lonely, and have a more positive outlook on life." This may come as a surprise to you my dear Ngonge. Thought I might update you with the currect times.

35yr old is the new 18 yr old dheylo.

Do carry on though

Hunguri   

35 years old is not Dhaylo, This should fall on to the Suxul Baruur catagory. Mmmmmm, I heard this is the most difficulty time for a woman in terms of having a husband within reach smile.gif . Waa xilliga ay ugu cuncun-ka badanyihiin dumarku :D

Ms DD   

Bismillah Hunguriyow. Cuncunkaasna maxuu ahaa bal? Nuuno is understands exactly what I am talking about. 35yr old would definately know how to make sabaayad and oodkac. They are more wiser and understanding. I could wax enough lyrics about the older woman, but I wont. Shame you are missing a lot.