Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

C'mon!!!

What’s a lot worse is mixing English and Somali words, not sentences, as we’re all guilty of that. For example, call-garey, watch-garey, find-out-garey etc. Really, I fantasize about ina wajiga ka slap-gareyo

:D

Guilty as charged, Wax iga mix garees badan majiraan. So,i guess i should ready myself for some slap-gareys from Lilly :D

What’s a lot worse is mixing English and Somali words, not sentences, as we’re all guilty of that. For example, call-garey, watch-garey, find-out-garey etc. Really, I fantasize about ina wajiga ka slap-gareyo.

Lily, funny you brought that up because just yesterday I had a call one of my homegrls and this is how the conversation went.

Sual ayey igu bilaabtay ay i weydiisay, why didnt you return my call, waxaa kaa sugaaye inaan isoo call gareeneysid?

Jawaabteyda wexey aheyd, movie aan watch gareenaaye, ee hadoota isoo wac, hada waqti aan ku murmo ma haayo? Markaas ay igu jawaabay, but hada aan waxti qabaa lee lets meet garee, markaas aan ugu jawaabay ok, but wait wax yadh, oo aan clothes soo gishto oo soo shower gareysto, markaas aan meet gareyneynaa, hadaba, markaas ay tidhi, ok ok, waa inoo hadoota. redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

STOIC   

This past weekend I was in the local ATL-Dahabshil office wiring money back home when I saw an old Somali lady struggling to sign at the back of her pay check. I was impressed with the imaginative faculty of her mind. I am betting that she has harnessed the ability to jot down her signature through self-confidence. I admire such old ladies who demand of themselves persistence and continuous action towards reading and writing this foreign language. She was my hero of the day!

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Hunguri:

quote:Originally posted by Northerner:

Weetabigis is a healthy breakfast cereal LoL

LoooooooooooooL wallaahi I laughed
smile.gif
And what about the ( screw driver ) Isku ruug darayfa
smile.gif
And, the Fish and Chips say what
;)

I have a headache = Madax xanuun waa haystaa

The Somali Kenyan Sujju
smile.gif

Unasakiya Anjaa = Gaaja waa maqlayaa
:D

Xagaad ka dhacday ninyow?

Paragon   

The peculiar thing is I sometimes get into character purely to pronounce English distastefully. This is because lately I have been talking to (rather interpreting/translating in courts for) more Somalis than ever and I am picking up few nice words. Like when asked 'where did you first stay when you came to the UK' and they reply Toonkaliif Huteel as in 'Thorncliff Hotel' or 'Shafiil' as in 'Shefield'..and many more.

Laakiin, ogow for most of these folks the basics of their education isn't built for further studies - heck that is if they even had a basic education. So I see men/women even younger than me unable to speak the language and I am not so surprised they can't.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

K_K waaberi waa ku dhashay, ku barbaaray, iskoolna ka dhigtay!

waxaa adi ahayd miyaa ciyaalkoo xaafadaha kale ka imaan jiray oo bacaadka laga dherjin jiray...

YOU, REER WAABERI? NO WAY? Walahi I remember when we went to guriga Ayeydey for the Fridays, anogoo timaheena sameysan yihiin, dhar nadiif wadano, kabo qatar...Markaan gaariga ka dageyno, say caruurta noogu soo shamuumi jireer, sida waligood ineyan na arag...Gaarigana markuu baxaayo, gaarigaa la bursanaa - still beats me why ee u bursanjireen gaariga...LAKIIN, within less than an hour, anagaabo ka wasaqsaneen iyaga...

AND NO bacaad ma la'iga dharjinjirin, koo waxaa qabnay baadiyo laga keenay oo cousinkeena ahaa oo waalnaa, he didn't give a damn...Kuligood wuu dili jiray, so anaga waanalaga baqi jiray...lol...Amaa ka mid eheed lee kuwuu dilijiray, Koo shiinees u eg ani meelaha waku arkijiray... :D:D Besides, ani Bakaarah iyo Howlwadaag aan ku koray, so ciyaal waabari wax ilama eheen...Don't let the "Number Afar" aan daganeen fool you... :cool:

Guilty as charged, Wax iga mix garees badan majiraan. So,i guess i should ready myself for some slap-gareys from Lilly

Faarax, you would like that wouldn't you?

War idinka waxaa dhohoysiin I should correct them...Waanka daalay, some of them na waxey i dhahaan "adigana is gaalgaaleeska aan kuugu nacnay"...WHAT!

OMG, and another thing I HATE, HATE, HATE is when they talk loud as if I am sitting three blocks down...Hadaan dhahana tartiib u hadla, this is the typical answer I get "alla adna maxaa adna gaalada ka cabsataa, naa nadaa neefta hanugu dhajininee"...lol...

Ismahaan   

I do always mix English and Somali walahi , so I don’t blame other people for doing same thing... :D Simple because dadka qurbaha ku soo koray waa u barteen labada luuqadoodba in aay isku mix gareeyaan and they know both as well. Laakiin waxaa funny ah markaay si khalad ugu hadlaan:D smile.gif .

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

[QB] There are some who take someone to translate when shopping ,,,,,,,,, now what do u call that ?

How do you know what is happening in Canada if you never been there? Jac. miyaad no hoos raacinaysa ;)

Kool_Kat   

War hayaaaaaaay, how can I ever forget my fav, a friend of mine ee dhahdo: FIRS-TU-BALL = FIRST OF ALL...loooool...Did I mention, FOOD-HAIR = FOREHEAD...KIX KIX KIX KIX...

Sorry I don`t meant to make fun of her, but I was bored and remembered...

RedSea   

Originally posted by Dhulqarnayn -alSumaale:

My mother struggles with the English language but she speaks more languages than me, i read somewhere a story about a Linguist who spoke 77 languages and then proceeded to learn his 78th which resulted in the loss of the 77 other languages

I think some people have the ability to process and store more than others or maybe it's the environment cause my parents socialize with other Somali families more and less so with non Somali families( so Somali will always be the language used in discussions)

A Legend like Jackie Chan is
and he is multi-lingual

or maybe it is because Bruce Lee hit him too hard on the head

Jackie_Chan_Fist.JPG
lolol

:D lol...I agree.

But hey I didnt' know Bruce lee and Jackie ever started in the same movie?

which movie is that?