Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

what is the meaning of the following words and is Muslim Somali ===????

Arabic: Muqadas

English: Sacred

Somali Mouth: ??

i am looking for the noun and meaning of the word, any principles attached to it and value of the word to Somalis in the custom and culture. I ask this on the presumption the Somalis in SOL represent variety of Somalis in the horn and is as good as any place as well as having well educated and articulate individuals.

Please note - i am only interest in very serious responses. for all of those who came to read this yet unable to articulate any decent attempt on explaining their understanding of these word in either languages - please do offer us - what the word embodies/means/invokes to you personally (instead of applying the Somali ethnic group).

I look forward you comments and thank you in advance for your anticipated responses

nuune   

Sacred: barakaysan, derived adjective: blessed, sacred.

It sounds that barakaysan have links with Arbic word barako, would look for the Somali version.

Prinz   

That's it, barakaysan/karaameysan, though it's also an originally arabic word, Af Soomaaligu inkastuu hodan yahay, but the emotional words/ ereyada micnaha ama dareenka ka hedla are mostly borrowed from Arabic, and word-loand isn't a shame, most other big languages do.

^ I'm having trouble understanding the title and the post and their relation.

I get "what is the meaning of the following words" .. but where does "is Muslim somali === ????" fit in and more importantly what does it mean ?

the translations are a bit curious themselves

'somali mouth' mawaxaad ka wadaa af-soomaali literally translated ?

as for the translation ..muqadas would have also been my choice in somali

^^ loool you right about the title, a messy title malaha Sayi S qaxwe ayuusan markaa cabino waxba si kayara ahaa. For thime being just try if you can translate that word into maxaa tiri language

LOOOOL@Allamagan & Geel Jire! :D

in all seriousness - the title is meant to say:

1. What are the meaning of the following words

2. Somali equivalent, its use and importance in Somali context

if one is unable to answered in the somali context or in linguistic terms - then i wanted to know what the one invokes for you personally.

hope that is clear - after all - i did have coffe :cool:

Ibtisam   

I think he wants to know what is sacred in the Somali context and most importantly if something is sacred in Islam, does it automatically mean it is scared Somalistically??

So if I answer the first part of the question, i.e. what is sacred in the Somali context, then I would say Clan, family structure and deegaan [living space/ regional territory] I think the most sacred thing in the Somalis might be pride

As for the second part, religion has always been a secondary consideration for Somalis, first they try culture, if no solution they will try deenta. At times I think there are massive contradictions between that which is sacred to Somalis and things which would be deemed sacred to Islam.

As for the terms, and what do they mean to me; Well its a rooted, unshakable, esteemed and untouchable value, believe, perception, which hold connotations respect, unquestionable and almost divine. I don't feel like that about anything Somali, not clan, territory [although I do believe we should never be ruled by others- so maybe you can say Somali independence against subjugation is sacred to me]

Sayid I'm on the right lines??

BOB   

Barakah.

Sharaf.

Karamah.

All these words are Arabic guys...come with Somali (I doubt it if you'd find it) I think what we should focus here is how many percentage of our language is Arabic...I heard some odoyaal claiming it to be between 35%-40%...I don't know.

PS. in my opinion there's nothing more sacred to Somali than his/her Qabiil...what do you think the old men mean when they talk about...'Magaca iyo Sharafteena Meel ha uga Dhicin'

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

I know both arabic and Somali and I can tell you that a looooooot of words are Arabic. Qabeel is one of them. [Qabeelah/Qabaa'il]

Even the English took words from the Arab no problem, and they are even closer to us so we have more right smile.gif

You can't find every word in the world in Somali. There are words that are from other language in every language.

For example look at the Hindi (urdu) and how it is full of arabic words,, Ishq, Shaytaan, Naseeb, etc.

Laangadhe and Gaadhi are also from Hindi and we use it as a Somali language.

marka, let the Muqaddas be muqaddas for the moment.

OK - It is Accepted - the Somali Word For Sacred is Muqaddas.

Ibti - your the only one so far that his given a real and substancive answre to my question - thank you - having said that - your answer is more akin to politicians answer - i.e. cover every corner!! be more specific please.

We All know that our Diin is very clear and hence is not open for debates or contradictions. in other words we are not discussion religion here. lets be clear about that.

in linguistic terms what i am interested about the topic is - is there anything sacred in the somali context and whether you as individual Somali believe in it or not???

to break it down even further - i am interested in the Inviolable bit in the word Scared – that is to say it is not to be challenged or disrespected - to give an personal example - the honour of my mother, wife is scared to me.

as for the somali context - i'll le the conversation follow first before i make it known the agenda behind this topic :D

i hope that clears up any misunderstanding about the topic and the language.

i look forward to your comments and commentary.