Deeq A.

Sierra Leone’s police officers deployed in Jubbaland

Deeq A.   

A contingent of Sierra Leone’s police officers have completed orientation course tailored to familiarize them with African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) mandate and have been deployed in southern Somalia, the mission said on Wednesday.

The AU mission said a total of 160 police officers from the Formed Police Unit (FPU), Sierra Leone’s largest deployment in Somalia to date, have been deployed in Jubbaland state as part of a surge capacity that is fast tracking the implementation of policing programs.

“They were taught by a number of instructors who are experts in various fields, so this Formed Police Unit is now ready for deployment to conducting activities that brought them to this Mission,” Martin Ernest Abilu, AMISOM’s Police Coordinating Officer for Jubbaland said at the end of the induction training in the port city of Kismayo.

AMISOM said in a statement issued in Mogadishu the police officers who arrived in Somalia last week to boost the capacity of the local police have started work in earnest.

Their deployment follows a UN Security Council Resolution last year, which authorized an increase in the number of police officers serving under the AMISOM to boost the technical capacity of the Somali police officers, who will be deployed in recovered areas to restore law and order.

The plan envisages an increased need for police officers, in areas that will have been vacated by the military, as a result of the phased, conditions-based drawdown.

“The officers are expected to train and mentor their Somali counterparts in public order management among others things. They will also undertake joint police patrols and assist them in the protection of critical facilities and installations,” AMISOM said.

A total of 145 police officers from Sierra Leone arrived in Kismayo on April 17, where they joined an advance team of 15 officers who had arrived earlier.

Other than Sierra Leone, other Police Contributing Countries to AMISOM are Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana and Zambia.

Source: – Xinhua

2 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

great move

It is, but I wish Djibouti and Sudan were included. The Liyu would have done great job, but considering that area and the kilils aignment of the stars is not practicable or helpful.

Just now, Old_Observer said:

It is, but I wish Djibouti and Sudan were included. The Liyu would have done great job, but considering that area and the kilils aignment of the stars is not practicable or helpful.

Keep wishing!

4 hours ago, Tillamook said:

Keep wishing!

Wouldn't you wish your Djibouti brother to help with same culture and also get paid by others?

I have nothing against Nigeria or Zambia, but Sudan is much closer than them. Just saying.

Tallaabo   

There is no shortage of young Somali men who given the right training could do a very good job policing that region. This is just another money making mashruuc by the African mercenaries. 

Tallaabo   
2 minutes ago, Old_Observer said:

Wouldn't you wish your Djibouti brother to help with same culture and also get paid by others?

I have nothing against Nigeria or Zambia, but Sudan is much closer than them. Just saying.

The men of Jubbaland are jobless and can do just a much work or better than the mercenaries from other countries. The useless leaders in koonfuria should have asked for their jobless men to be given this opportunity. 

21 minutes ago, Tallaabo said:

The men of Jubbaland are jobless and can do just a much work or better than the mercenaries from other countries. The useless leaders in koonfuria should have asked for their jobless men to be given this opportunity. 

Each contributing country has a European or American sponsor. I have no doubt Sieraleone is British sponsored. The great idea you have can only be done as follows:

The SFG should convince IGAD and the Somalia group that includes US, France, Britain, and others

The SFG should come up with detailed plan and budget

Failing that this plan and budget should be asked of individual countries to sponsor it, like Scandinavian countries can each sponsor a region, Canada can sponsor a region.

Ethiopian police in the begining and until now gets training and money from Britain

Ethiopian Justice ministry was at one time totally sponsored by Canada.

The plan must be totally accepted by the communities in that region and have safeguards to prevent clanism, corruption, nepotism etc.

A lot of opponents do not tell, but the success of Liyu in the kilil is that it is exact reflection of all the communities in the kilil, the indoctrination was Somali peoples kilil constitution, Somali kilil peopeles history. Training was done professionally and very much free as free as can be from clanism, nepotism, corruption and paid on time, armed as best as possible, kept active all times participating in development and building comradeship and also interest of people and benefits to people kilil.

I don't think Jubbaland has this capacity, but can train in the kilil if that is acceptable to the communities in Jubbaland.

6 hours ago, Old_Observer said:

Like I said, “ Keep wishing”!

Samafal   

Indeed it is Mashruuc and the Somalis are just spectators of it. This whole Alshabab saga in the South and central Somalia is a joke and not being taken seriously by neither foreigners nor the Somali entitites in those regions. What puzzles me is how are the powerful clans and maamul Gobeleds in South Sentral Somalia who when  they are fighting other clans are fierce warriors and all powerful are letting few Alshabab individuals running riot unopposed in the most of the towns and villages in those areas? That would never happen in Puntland, and from experience it hasn't happened. So the only plausibe explanation could be that the people in those areas are in cohoot with Alshabab or  there is total indifference between chaos of Alshabab and statehood (dowladnimo).