Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Somali's: Is-eegatada aan isogoleyn

Abtigiis   

Abdullahi Botan was on Universal TV last week and among many xikmad he said, I found the definition he gave to Somali's very accurate. He said when a somali comes to a new place, the first question is "meel Somali deggan tahay ha la i geeyo." They all come concentrate in one area. Yet, they are very antagonistic to one another. Hence, he called them "Is-eegatada aan is-ogoleyn"! classic :D:D

Waxaa kale uu yidhi we are confused by the several Madaxweyne titles. He proposed that the Madaxweyne title be reserved to President of Somalia, but the others (who he called dawlad-goboleedyo like Puntland and Somaliland), should call their leaders "Tun-weyne". Wali madax-wayni magaadhine, meesha ayuu ugu tunweyn yahay buu yidhi. :D:D

Polanyi   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

Abdullahi Botan was on Universal TV last week and among many xikmad he said, I found the definition he gave to Somali's very accurate. He said when a somali comes to a new place, the first question is "meel Somali deggan tahay ha la i geeyo." They all come concentrate in one area. Yet, they are very antagonistic to one another.
:D:D

lol, good observation.

The Islamic government of Moorishland and Bladland. Jayshul Masakeen.

AYOUB   

We'll I'M here when I can't stand the likes of A&T.

Reminds me of a hostel manageress who told me her Somali residents tell her they fled Somalia because of the clannish civil wars, but under no circumstance would they accept sharing rooms with anyone but Somalis - even though they are arrive at her door needing urgent accommodation.

PS "Is-eegatada" (as in Q Bulxan’s Wadaad-eegato) might be the wrong term since it's more negative than positive.

Is-eegatada aan is-ogoleyn

Lol. :D:D So true walee. I was just thinking about what a walking contradiction we’re yesterday. Back home we eat each other alive but here we get along so well. A colleague of mine was teaching in my classroom yesterday during my prep hour. As I looked around I noticed that all the Somali kids were sitting together in a corner engaged in a serious conversation in Somali. What seemed funny to me about the scene was the loudest one was the girl who a year ago told the whole school staff that she is a SOMALILANDER not SOMALI and that she couldn’t communicate with the people from Somalia. She kept this up for almost whole year(but here she is this year, the leader of the Somali club icon_razz.gif ) never once interacting with other Somali students. Then there was the Somali boy whom we all thought was African American but turned out to be from one of the Somali minority clans. :D

So the poor history teacher (in his attempt to explain that America is a nation of immigrants AND to get their attention)tries to draw a parallel between people who came here to escape persecution(he goes in detail about the persecution of a particular group) and Somalis. Then they all look at him like he escaped from the loony bin and in unison tell him they’re here because there is a war. Then he asks them who is fighting who but they don’t want to tell him that Somalis are fighting each other so they tell him they’re fighting Ethiopians. This goes on the whole class time. Then he picks on one girl and asks her the reason her family chose to come here. Before she can open her mouth, they say to her in Somali “naa ninkan gaalka ah ha u sheegin waxna. Wuxuu rabaa in la dhaho Somalida way is necebtahay.”!

:D

“naa ninkan gaalka ah ha u sheegin waxna. Wuxuu rabaa in la dhaho Somalida way is necebtahay.”!

[big Grin]

That's priceless!

You would hear the same thing in almost every Somali gatherings, be it in Mosques or community centers. I like the when we say "waxaanu nahay dad Soomali ah oo walaalaha, oo muslim ah, oo is jecel" Bal may jeceylka ka reebaan :D

Malika   

^ :D:D ,hypocrisy is our middle name dee,as soon away from these gathering laba laba ayaa luuqa isku tagayaan..the discussion then turn to 'kii xumaa oo reer hebla,ama tii xumeed oo reer hebeel..,wexee rabaan inee naa gumestaan' ..and the wheel of hate goes on and on..

Kulmiye   

This topic reminds me an old Somali news paper my dad used to read, and there was a cartoon by the name "Labba Wajiile" walahay we are indeed two-face rats. I used to attend a small University in Northern Ohio and there were about eight Somalis- and even though we were from different regions in Somalia... we somehow bonded like no other. we were group of guys and girls who studied together- We told each other what professors to take- and the upper class would give their old class materials to someone who is taking that course. But comes graduation and each one goes back to Columbus and gets a party with relatives and view other tribe affiliated whom ay hooyo iyo Aabo soo invite-gareyeen. Parents are pretty much behind this phenomenon.

UZTAAD   

TUNWEYNE, erey bixin xiiso badan.

tunweynaha punland ayaa la kulmey dhiggisa tunweyne riyaale

:D

when asked who are the somalis Iseegatada aan is ogaleyn.

practical defionition