Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Honour killings

Originally posted by flying-still:

. HE said he shot his sister in the head before the whole family 'cause she was raped and was not "pure" anymore. HE was asked if he felt any remorse for killing his sister...his answer was no because he saved his family the agony of knowing that their daughter wasn't a virgin anymore....he said a girl has no value if she looses her virginity before her wedding night!

1luv

that line of thinking always frightened me. i mean thats the reason why cliterectomies are condoned by some people right? its a shame and i pray to allah that our culture never deteriorates to that level cause i know of some somalis whove expressed sentiments similar to these people when it came to "honour" killings.

Barwaaqo,

Sister, don't misunderstand me. I didn't even address the issue of honour killings persay. I just stated that even our culture has its downside i.e. FGM. I was only addressing the fact that even OUR culture could be as nasty at times.

I understand and feel for what these women and the other women in other parts of the world are going through. Did you know that women in Bangladesh, if they turn down a suitor or a man's advances, they will be splashed with acid in the face?

All I am saying is.....why call ourselves lucky, when we have our mess to clean up as well. They have honour killings but did we not also have clans committing mass murders at one point?

Gediid, with all due respect, GET OVER IT. did you expect me to show some sympathy towards Somalia and the men responsible for its downfall? think again.....

OP,

I understand where you are coming from. Every culture does have its good and bad points, however, when it comes to the Somali culture, all you ever hear about is the bad parts. Logically, it can't all be doom and gloom always..there are great things about it too. Reading about what's happenning to women in other parts of the world just made me realise that we are a lot better off than most. Similarly, all Somali men are not to blame for what happened in Somalia in the past. The distinction should be made.

Raula,

"Honestly, Iam confused about the whole somali-nice notion. Even though I didn't grow up in the country, I used to hear all this nice/good deeds/values about Somali people, but after the civil war, I seriously dont know what to believe. I mean, I have heard of some horrific, mind-jittering horrandeous tales that till now, have not yet settled in my mind."

The savagery and destruction that occurs during wars have been well documented, and it is not something easily understandanble. Just as law and order, institutions and other forms of governance disintegrate, so does people's humanity. There really is no excusing what happened in Somalia and every other part of the world where there has been civil strife. The important thing is when there's peace, it is a different story. Acts that occur during wars, cannot happen during peace, because there are mechanisms in place.

Because Somalia went thru a war does not mean that the people and culture have lost their value/good deeds and whatever else you used to hear about. Granted, there have been a lot of changes, but there hasn't been enough time to conclude whether the changes have been good or bad or both for Somalis. Am I making sense?

Bottom line...doesn't hurt to appreciate what we have every so often. smile.gif

Changed   

looks like we got students of critical thinking 101 in this thread :rolleyes:

barqwaqo afkaaada caano geel lagu qabay :D

Thanx girls. Any non-Somali who visits this site could be forgiven for thinking there's nothing valuable about our culture. Perhaps September should become a Somali-culture-appreciation month on SOL. It's about time we started teaching our youth about the positive aspects of the nomad way-of-living.

wind talker! it dont matter what side of the bed one slips out of! allah gives life and he takes it! on one else! so let us konw where in the koran that honor killing is permitted! bro!!!!!!!! i believe you reputable is belowing in the wind!!

A7LA-SHU   

flyin still i have seen dat too. i was like woow :eek: ...

and as many of us said we ain't perfect. but we as somalians are lucky we don't have no guy willin to kill his sister coz she was raped. get raped. isn't like she did it on her own and was happy about it.. :mad:

u got it Barawaqo.Bottom line...doesn't hurt to appreciate what we have every so often.

Lefty   

Barwaaqo

YOu're complicating different issues.

It's ok to be proud of your Culture and whoever you're and that's the right thing anyone would do cause mostly culture is to be perceived as an important part of each person's life. However, that doesn't mean yours is ahead or way better than others. Simply, there's no culture that can take over others since every and each one is regarded as individuated.

Somali culture is unique for only Somalis but it may look differently in the eyes of others. Same reasoning, It could be exceptable for the Honour killings you brought up for pakistanis since they value & admire things others like you don't. Apart from these specific problems or incidents, there's no way of determining an entire people's lifestyle and faiths.

And This I'm normal and they're weird attitude could take you no man's land. Just Appreciate what you have while respecting what others do.

raula   

Barwaaqo,

Thx sista for the explanation, very well said indeed. I guess I didn't make myself clear in the beginning (my mistake). But as LEFTY put it, I wasn't talking about culture and customs/values, but the fact that every community/society has its flaws(even without the factors contributed by war and other calamities). To be honest, I would sound redundant, but LEFTY has explained it clearly. There is nothing wrong with holding one's culture to the highest standards and code above, buy denying that you are just like any other; boasting that you are the best and others are surbodinates is just plain ignorant and selfish. I dont mean that you mattered to that (Barwaaqo) but its just that some people once they hear other horrific acts committed by others think that the somalis/somali culture is "untouchable" and "pure". Ofcourse, religion and different customary and family values hold us different from others but keep in mind that we are all human beings; fragile and capable of committing the most horrific, dispeakable crimes. By the way, its only human beings who commit the horrendous acts against any other species in this planet; atleast to my knowledge.

The above comment is just a general statement.

Honour Killings are carried out and will always be carried out in the asian community!. Man....I wake up everyday and thank god that I am a muslim who is a proud nomad!!!amiin.

Keep up the infromative topics sister!

Peace.