Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

City, state, feds on trail of Somali sex slave ring

Ismalura   

Subaxanalah, firstly ilaahyow dadkan soo hanuuni...

15 year old immigrant homeless girl? horta this is child abuse not to mention the exploitation and the whole lot of other ugly acts. Like Sayid somali said I am surprised that many people are not surprised by this. Honestly how many somali girls oo prostitutes ah baad taqnaan? How many Somali men oo prostitution ka shaqeysatad taqanaan? not many I would say. And how did this go on this long with out any one saying or doing anything about it? Personally this is one of the worst and saddest things aan maqlo in a long time and I am appalled.

Mida kale this is not an individual problem rather it is consequence of underlaying social problem like poverty,lose of cultural identity etc. We, therefore, need to be thinking of ways to solve these problems as a community; if for nothing else just for the fact that this could be anyone's fifteen year old daughter, sister or relative.

what is it that is not surprising you people and more importantly why are you not surprised or even shocked?:

the act of prostitution?

the crime of enslavement into prostitution?

The Somalis being involved?

the fact that there are old men involved?

that it is organised criminal enterprise?

distinguish please?

as for the Somali community associations/centres Here is a topic that i started while back about them and my views

Zayid,

All the above walaal because I don't see Somalis as superior race. Just like the Latino, Blacks, Asians and Caucasians, they are involved in Gangs, prostitution, Human Trafficing, Drug Dealing and other Illegal activities. But we love to believe that there are certain crimes that are beneath us or whatever.

C&H & Seeker.

As somalis there are certain crimes and criminal behaviours that are beneath us - by code of custom (i am not saying that code itself is not broken). Nevertheless, there exist Somali code of conduct, which is in enforced by the more paramount Islamic Sharia.

Whilst were not a superior race - we are noble ethnic group, whose culture and customs looks down upon the profession of prostitution and all of its intarelated crimes; such as rape, incest, enslavement etc where as some cultures glorify these crimes as act of manliness.

Consequently, when a somali hears about these kinds of things happening - their natural disposition is to be shocked and abhorred. Unless of course they come to hear of it everyday until it becomes the norm not be abhorred let alone be suprised.

Like I said, we like to believe that certain crimes are beneath us but the reality is we are no different. Looking down upon prostitution doesn't mean it is nonexistant, as you know. And I fail to see the nobility we boast about. I've heard of the prostitution rings before because more and more teenage girls are getting sucked into the drug and gang rings. And we all know that, unforunately, once someone acquires such expensive habits, they must fund it somehow.

raula   

Ismalura & Sayid Somali-I concur w/your conclusions. Although i have resided in this state for long-and i have heard of rumors yet i am still appalled at what is going on. I remember one day, as i was taking my son to daycare (a somali lady back then), in the elevator going up, a girl boarded and she looked unkempt, for the several floors i was holding back the urge to ask her if she needed help (i would have phrased it differently if i spoke); mind you its early in the morning. N'ways dropped off my son, came back and there she was again,...we parted ways w/out saying a word, but she boarded a car w/some shaggy-looking fella. The whole day at work, i was bothered then forgot about it, but always wondered what if that girl had just wanted someone to ask her (she was perhaps about 17yrs old or less). sorry if i sounded sentimental but couldn't help it.