Sign in to follow this  
Yaabka-Yaabkiis

I am trying to find difference between Somaliland langauge and Somalia.

Aaliyyah   

^my dad told me that he once went to borame to work and the language there is different than the typical somali dialects we are accustomed to. I can't remember now bt couple of words he told me I couldn't even guess what they meant lol..no offense to reer borame. I do love you as my somali brothers/sisters am just saying luqadiina waa adagtahay in la fahmo!!!!

Blessed   

Che, I don't understand it, so to me it's a different language. :D

No, really.. not only is it unintelligible to Somali speakers, it's different in it's structure and even alphabet. Off course there are many similiarities between the two but I think af maay was only reduced to the 'dialect' status due to politics.

nuune   

Come'on people, are we going to that road now,

let me list all da dialects of every region in Somalia.

But before that, there is one word I heard from riwaayad jabuuti ah dat made me laugh, and how they meant it, and how I know of the word, call it their dialect etc, maybe our jabuutiyaan Solers will explain more!

The word is Kalliif, and in Jabuuti Kalliif means the kitchen or jikada wax lagu karsado,

that riwaayad, this woman ran towards her daughter or jaariyad and screamed saying "naa orodoo kalliifka soo hagaaji" when I was watching, waan yaabanaa, tiiyoo waxaa soo noqotey dhaheeso ee macooyo kalliifka waan soo hagaajiyey :D

PS: to those who know what kalliif means, it might be af suuq or whatever, waa ka baxey

Blessed....Politics played role but the fair thing would be for native speakers categorize it. It is intelligible to me but that's maybe cuz I have been exposed to May speakers and geographical promoxity has something to do it.

There are obviously dailects within May May, and some of them I agree is unintelligle.

I like the fact there's no caaa xaaaaa :D

Cawaale   

^lol@macooyo kalliifka waan soo hagaajiyey

Nuune, its kaniif-ka not kaliiifka maad garan huuno>? :cool:

reer kuufurta oo dhanna ma isticmalan kaliifka ee sidaad sheegtay waa hadal suuq xamar iyo nawaaxigeeda ku kooban sdia ay ila tahay.

Cabdow   
:D @Somaliland language (war kadaa, hadii kale haday oran wey dhuushay, ma gaari gacan tolow? smile.gif )...Yaabka, ma iska dhahdidoo, what's the difference between reer waqooye & reer xamar accent? Well here is the
!

Indhoos   

Okley Dokley Folks...the results are in from the interview with the view elders that I could find. :D

Waxay ii sheegeen inuu Af-Soomaaligu ku dhashay dhankaa iyo waqooyiga kana soo tagay isagoo wali carab la' oo aan xoogsan. Ka dib wuxuu yimid goboladaa dhexe, dhanka mudugta halkaa oo uu ku koray, ku qaarnay kuna weenaaday. Isagoo xogaa duq ah ayuu wuxuu u baqoolay dhinacaa iyo koonfurta oo uu ku gaboobay, yacni law-law noqday. Ka dibna wuxuu ku dhintay halkaa iyo dhanka mayga. icon_razz.gif

Go Figure...