Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

What language/s do you speak?

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Shar ma'arke:

quote:Originally posted by Abdillah:

[QB] Why has it become almost fashionable, nowadays, for almost all somali kids growing up in the west to claim, "I can barely speak spoken somali, and I can't write it at all". It is really sad.

Speaking Somali is considered(in some Somali environs)being uncivilised . I kind of grew up in such an evironment. Afrikaanimo iga dheh!

Contrary to the European societies(who are deemed to be civilised and we love to simulate) are so proud of their languages and traditions. And even push their children to learn their mother tongue/tradition even if they are born outside their home country.

Growing up I remember waan ka faani jirnay in aan cunno Ugali(soor). And now I envy Norwegians who eat a thousands old meal every thursday(young and old in every homestead).

You'll find Somali, Swahili, Norwegian and of course Ingiriis in my language thesaurus.
How do u expect young Somalis kids growing up in the West or Carabaha to write Somalia unless their parents teach them or send them to some kind of tutor?

^^Were you expecting the kids to learn by themselves? It's a parent's role.

An example; A small Norwegian community in Nairobi organised and ensured that their kids attend mother tongue classes after school. They're less than 50 in number.

I doubt Somalis have that kind of arrangement in London where they're in their thousands. That say alot about our community. We trivialise our language, culture or anything that's Somali for that matter.

Our mothers' attitude is Hadii uu Ingiriisba iibarto muxuu somali kufalayaa. Meel walbuu tago dunida wuu laqabsana yaaye.

chubacka   

actually that is a great idea, we have mother tongue classes in Lnd but they tend to teach quran and arabic...actually we did experiment with teaching written and spoken somali but it fizzeld out for what ever reason.

the reality is however that kids cnt communicate with their grandparents or other elders who speak only somali.

hmmm it might be worth looking into starting up a club to teach somali mayb in the summer ia.3

I am so impressed everyone seems to know 3 languages plus. Can barely spk 2.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garam garam waxay??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a demeaning word.I don't know why the brother/sister used the word.This is one form of intolerance.The word points to a language of a people called Borana.It is one thing to name a language of a peopl-in a respectful manner-but it is something entirely different to call people's langauge with a superiority undertone.

Garam Garam waa luqada magaceeda maaha?

I use to speak Xabashi… I don’t think I can anymore, I just remember all the swear words, and how to buy bread, hello, few other things...there is no one to practice on.

Yata baata qushasha!!....?

1.Swahili

2.Somali

3.English

4.Kikuyu

5.Some Espanoel

6.Some Arabic(Hadaa Shuwaya shankaroon )

I like Kikuyu langaugw.

FB,Ate'rere,amwega?

BOB   

I can Speak and Write better Somali than all of you put together hehe...who cares who is more fluent in bloody English when I can compose a poem in my own mother tongue...hehe...Maseerkuna Waa Xaraam taas ogaada hehe

Peace, Love & Unity.

Buuxo   

lool@BOB, in this case ,maseer ma aha. hami sare weey, hadaan rabno in aan somali kaa barano aano kaa badino.

Me..I speak somali and english bas!and not well in both actually.

STOIC   

Garam Garam waa luqada magaceeda maaha

I disagree, it is not a language rather it is a coined term by the Somalis for people that speak the Borana language. Although Somalis they are, the People that live in the Kenyan/Somalis border do speak this language (I’m trying not to break SOL rule by mentioning tribal name here). What no one either side of this porous divide over the use of the word can't deny is that it is word used by the Somalis to look down upon those that speak the Borana language. To suppose that you know the word and to mean that it is a language is a false premise that I am not buying it. I am not even buying the unknowability displayed by many here who knows the word and yet think that it is meant for people who don’t SPEAK Somali well. It is therefore useful to distinguish that word from the language itself.I have witnessed first hand use of the wording against the Borana speaking people by the Somali people.

STOIC   

^^^ It is Borana language or Afgareeh.Depending on the dialect.

PS Apology to the Adminstration.I didn't mean to break the rules

STOIC   

^^^ I never implied they are the same.They are similar in wordings, but different dialect.The two community are totally different.One is Somali while the other one is Cushitic speaking people. smile.gif