Che -Guevara

BREAKING: Somalia asks Arab League intervention

BREAKING: Somalia asks Arab League intervention as relations w/ UAE sour following recent deal by DP World, Ethiopia and Somaliland over Berbera port. Somali Embassy in Cairo tells AL ministers concession is “null and void”, reiterates it violates unity and sovereignty of Somalia.

• Like 1

Holac   

I believe this is a formality step to show that before Somalia take belligerent diplomatic steps, the Arab League is "given a chance", if that means anything. The design of this is probably  to prevent the souring of  Somalia's relations with other AL member states if and when full diplomatic confrontation with the UAE starts. I don't think we have seen the end of this. 

• Like 1

As said in the other thread, this is still the beginning , more to come.

UAE will crumple under pressure, come thru main door or  walk away!

18 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

:D Now that is a "prize-winning fiction", if ever there is one. But I suppose that must be only warm political blanket (even if it's a fictional one) that the unionists folks have just to keep themselves warm, eh, mate? 

You should go Hargaisa and help draft rebuttal documents, gloves are off!

Somali  Ambassador in UAE  should be fired too, he seem to be sleeping on the wheel, with NO forewarninging to Prime Minister Khayre.

Holac   

Oodweyne,  I like your  "xamari" story. :)

Saxib, as  weak as it may be, you can't dismiss Somalia's potential to mount a credible case on sovereignty as understood by other nation states. Border recognition represents a fundamental operating principle in modern-day African nation states. The fact that UAE infringed on Somalia’s sovereignty will most likely get sympathetic ears in AU diplomatic hallways .

I do agree with your point that “sympathetic ear” has no meaning without action, however at this juncture, diplomatic protest is the better alternative to silence.

Let us wait and see.

2 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

Somali  Ambassador in UAE  should be fired too, he seem to be sleeping on the wheel, with NO forewarninging to Prime Minister Khayre.

I am certain Ethiopia has discussed with Somalia and Djibouti long before this happening.

This case was public information for a year that shares were being negotiated. How many shares from DP and how many shares from Somaliland was the discussion.

Shouldn't you wait for the Ambassador's side before you bring the axe on him? Why did the Prime minister take the trip at that time?

I am sure the Arab League will issue some statement. The Arab League is Egyptian shindig, that is why has never ever accomplished anything. This time will issue something, since there is the name Ethiopia in the file. The only reason to do anything.

cadnaan1   

I don't see Arab league can do anything on this issue,we all know UAE is powerful within Arab Arab league. I think sfg should go to UN and not wasting their time on Arab league.

And not to forget all our commercials is connected to uae  they will punish poor somalis.

This Arab league is a collection of servants of western powers under Egypt.

Syria is suspended yet they were prepared to give full membership to Eritrea and Eritrea said NO. Will only have observer status. The Arabs asked Eritrea to take full membership just to benefit Egypt no other reason. The regime in Eritrea is Habeshi regime. Habeshi would not mind friendship with Arabs, but rather be found dead than be member in Arab gathering.

On 3/7/2018 at 5:04 PM, Oodweyne said:

Yeah, right that will show them. The beastly lot of them in the UAE will start feeling fear-of-God from that talking shop that is the Arab league (AL), any minute now. I tell you a strong worded letter from that outfit will cancel this deal just in a jiffy.

I think not. After all, this is the same Arab league (AL) that is watching as Syria disintegrate right in real slow-motion time-frame. And its same Arab league (AL) that can't resolved the complete destruction of Yemen. Whilst, of course, not being any the wiser as to how to resolve the Qatar and Saudi's coalition deep antagonism.

Well I suppose it's the way for the Villa Somalia's boys to say to their "constituency" we are doing something. Even when they know this talking shop that is the Arab league (AL) ain't going to give them any joy against Somaliland or against the UAE.

But I suppose they needed to hide their "impotence" with this sort of "diplomatic fig-leaf", I gather. Hence, there you have it, folks, so long you don't go deluding yourself into thinking this sort of futile "hand-wringing" will stop this deal.

As always, the reasoning in your statements are shallow to put it mildly. The Arab league, like all other international organizations like the UN, was created for member countries to thrash out their differences through diplomacy and arbitration. These institutions don’t exist for the exchange of  bellicose rhetoric and verbal insults among member nations.

So, ina Cawil Mucjiso, your views on this matter are incorrect, if I must put it in the nicest way possible.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:19 AM, cadnaan1 said:

I don't see Arab league can do anything on this issue,we all know UAE is powerful within Arab Arab league. I think sfg should go to UN and not wasting their time on Arab league.

And not to forget all our commercials is connected to uae  they will punish poor somalis.

I think it’s about time for Somalis to learn not to keep all their eggs in one basket. All those commercial interests concentrated in Dubai should have been diversified long time ago.