anoo kale

Abdi Cabdi عبدي chronicles

Recommended Posts

I was reading the Kenya Nation newspaper's online version and one thing caught my eye, all the Somali people cited carried the name: ABDI, what explains the extraordinary popularity of this name among Somalis ? I'm not even talking about Abdi with a suffix such Abdi-khaliq, Abdishakur, Abdirizaq, etc but just straight up Abdi without any other name at the end. Somalis are the only Muslim community that use this weird name too. I cringe when I hear our people call each other Abdi. Somali N word perhaps O.o

 

 

Quote

In an emotional interview with the Nation on Sunday, Mrs Jamila Hassan Abdi said the October 14 terrorist attack in Mogadishu, in which more than 400 people died, scared her and has changed her perception towards her country of birth.

 

 

 

Quote

Mr Bowen defeated Jubilee’s choice of Sofia Abdi (Ijara) for the Environment and Natural Resources committee.

 

 

I will be adding examples as I come across them. :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Che

 

No cabiid would be way too flagrant lol I would swing on someone for using it, hahaha

 

Cabdi = slave of hebel 

 

cabiid = slaves, waa wadarta cabdi, at least in classical Arabic.

 

I have come across Pakistanis named Abeed :D 

 

The worst case of mis-naming involved a Pakistani who worked in the Gulf who when prompted for his name replied Zub Akbar :D :D  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:)

 

Abdi is everywhere. Sadly, it is not a name you want to carry crossing international borders. The chances of you having the same name as a filthy ISIS fanboy is very high.  I know few dudes who always get pulled into the darkroom for further questioning when travelling. 

  • Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Holac said:

:)

 

Abdi is everywhere. Sadly, it is not a name you want to carry crossing international borders. The chances of you having the same name as a filthy ISIS fanboy is very high.  I know few dudes who always get pulled into the darkroom for further questioning when travelling. 

 

Holac, what do you suggest ? Change our names ?

 

I myself carry an Abdi prefixed name and to be honest I hate it.

 

  • Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 2
  • That is really sad! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Libaax-Sankataabte said:

The "filthy Isis fan boy" comment and your immediate inquiry about a name change. :)

 

 

 

Cool

 

I'm earnest online and offline.

 

Anyways, cabdiyada waa in laga gudbaa sanadka ama gu'ga cusub ee 2018.

 

My brother just had a son, baby has not been named yet. I'm eagerly awaiting for his new name. 

 

Will keep you all posted on the choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cabdi hal magac ma'aha. Magaca cabdi sagaashan iyo sagaal magac ayuu matalaa, marka caadi (err, cabdi) iska dhig. Plus it is not unique to us. Reer Iiraan also use it, albeit few and far between.

 

What do you suggest us to use? Ullah suffice, a la Afgaanka iyo Bakistaanta? No, dankis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Cabdi hal magac ma'aha. Magaca cabdi sagaashan iyo sagaal magac ayuu matalaa, marka caadi (err, cabdi) iska dhig. Plus it is not unique to us. Reer Iiraan also use it, albeit few and far between.

 

What do you suggest us to use? Ullah suffice, a la Afgaanka iyo Bakistaanta? No, dankis.

 

You did not read my post it seems. :D

 

A common problem with Somalis

 

Re read it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not the names of the Messengers of Allah and other righteous people in Islam? Mohamed is too common but we could use Nuux, Haaruun, Luut, Daauud, Yaxye, Shucayb, Huud, Luqman, Sakariye, Yacquub, Isaaq, Younis, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once met a brother called Abdi-Abdi. He said that his grandmother gave him the name. Now that takes the crown. Here is another interesting fact. Some Somali parents also name their daughters Abdo or Cabdo/Cabda. 

 

 

  • Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tallaabo said:

Why not the names of the Messengers of Allah and other righteous people in Islam? Mohamed is too common but we could use Nuux, Haaruun, Luut, Daauud, Yaxye, Shucayb, Huud, Luqman, Sakariye, Yacquub, Isaaq, Younis, etc

 

or better, use your own names. 

 

I don't see no explicit rule in Islam that says: " give your offspring arab names"

 

after all god made us different peoples ( shucuub ) with different languages ( lughaat ) for a reason, if he wanted to make the whole of humanity arab he would.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, anoo kale said:

 

You did not read my post it seems. :D

 

A common problem with Somalis

 

Re read it.

 

 

 

Waraa, I am the last Soomaali person who will advocate Carab names. Heck, I gave my kids pure Soomaali names. Laakiin cabdi ma'aha magacyo Carbeed. Magacyada cabdi waa magacyo Islaamka ah, along with magacyada nabiyada iyo asxaabta. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now