Sign in to follow this  
galbeedi

Do you support the relocation of the capital to save the nation..

galbeedi   

early this week I did write a thread about the secret agreements between Somalia/somaliland. Almost all of the Somalilander ( at least those who are members of the SOL forum) rejected the idea of peaceful negotiations which could lead to union. The only part they were interested was the referendum , not in 10 years but for five years. Some people thought it was a generous offer.

Any way, in order to gage how the other part of the country feels about the future and how far they are willing to sacrifice for national salvation, I would like to ask this question about the Somali capital. Do you support for the relocation of the capital in order to save the nation.

I will apreciate if the southern guys answer this question, especially Malister, Cadale, Dalmar, Maadey, Somaliarising, peaceaction and others. Please be yourself and speak your mind.

Rhanks.

Galbeedi relocation of the capital is not only needed but recommended. We must move the capital city to Hargeisa or Borama, this leaves Xamar to be the economical city. Many countries did relocate their capital cities. We need fresh start and by taking this action the Nation can breath again.

Which cities do you believe should be made capital city?

SomaliaRising, wouldn't it be better that Somalia's capital be a coastal city, such as Bosaso or Hobyo? (I know Hobyo is a tiny town, but you get my point)

Somalia, with the longest coastline in Africa, should have a coastal capital city. I would recommend it to be moved as well. Perhaps a little farther north towards Somaliland/Puntland. Mogadishu lost it's legitimacy 2 decades ago

<cite>
said:</cite>

SomaliaRising, wouldn't it be better that Somalia's capital be a coastal city, such as Bosaso or Hobyo? (I know Hobyo is a tiny town, but you get my point)

Somalia, with the longest coastline in Africa, should have a coastal capital city. I would recommend it to be moved as well. Perhaps a little farther north towards Somaliland/Puntland. Mogadishu lost it's legitimacy 2 decades ago

Brother no disrespectful wallahi but hobyo and bosaso are clan cities. Thats why i also believe Xamar cannot be capital city because it is clancity.

We need Clan diversity city. The best option is Hargeisa.

Hargeisa as Capital City got my vote!

Galbeedi your other thread about the secret negotiations was not credible and it was once sided wish list. That the Sol Somalilander reject it out right showed how the Somaliland diaspora is out of touch. I do not thing anybody in Puntland or the south in general support the dismemberment of Somalia.

Having sad that, I am equally dismayed with the level of misrule and anarchy in the south for the past twenty three years. All politics are zero sum game and that is not the way to run a country. There are two solutions.

1. Keep the federal system and make sure that each region control their own destiny and all the Somali resources are not concentrated in one city.

2. Move the capital to Garowe or Hargaysa. Personally I do not mind Hargeysa as they have shown more mature political discourse for the past twenty three years. I would even add the president for the first 10 years should be from the north.

The elites of Mogadishu will never agree for the capital to be re located its like shooting your self deliberately in the balls. Especially now when Mogadishu is recovering if Mogadishu was the capital in the 1990s and it went through so many wars warlords vs warlords versus Ethiopian soldiers versus Islamic courts unions versus shabaab ugandans. Today the city is becoming a normal town despite the major challenges Alshabaab is gone there are still some security problems, but the city is under construction and new businesses are re opened refugees from the countryside are returning in the thousands. So why will the capital be changed. Mogadishu is lucky it has a coast it has a fine temperature its not near the border a big population , i dont see a better alternative than Mogadishu.

SomaliaRising,

I would advocate creating a new Somali city out of scratch, but obviously that costs too much and Somalia can't afford that. Hargeisa wouldn't work bro. A large segment of their population are outright separatists. Bosaso is a clan city and Galkacyo is split in half. Marka is nothing but a vacation spot.

Maybe Kismayo?? How about that city?

<cite>
said:</cite>

SomaliaRising,

I would advocate creating a new Somali city out of scratch, but obviously that costs too much and Somalia can't afford that. Hargeisa wouldn't work bro. A large segment of their population are outright separatists. Bosaso is a clan city and Galkacyo is split in half. Marka is nothing but a vacation spot.

Maybe Kismayo?? How about that city?

Kismaayo is being contested by two clans of same tree. It is very unstable city.

Borama is a fine option 2. I would advocate Hargeisa, Borama or Baraawe(When cleansed from terrorists).

Xaaji the reason why so many people are against Mogadishu being the Capital City of Somalia is because the mentality of Mogadishu's residents. It's a small-minded and petty mentality and the political culture of the people there is awful. You and I both know that.

Many of them are people with a village mentality living in the capital city. It's like the residents of New York City being replaced by rednecks from Alabama. That's what Mogadishu looks like right now. The Reer Baadiyo with their clannish and petty mentality have moved into the capital city en masse, and they claim it to be their turf.

galbeedi   

Please keep posting. Can you imagine A Somali in Buur dhuubo, Ceel afweyn or Buuhoodle, who never had seen the President, the capital , the ministers and all that advantage the national capital have, yet he was a citizen and guardian of the Somali nationalism. No water well was digged for him , no hospital was built for his town, if they are lucky enough to finish high school they used to go all the way to mogadishu. They did compete with those who lives in the capital or lives closely.

The Mogadishu man have every thing. The commercial capital , the national capital and all the resources that come with it. There are probably three or four hospital built or rebuilt by the Turks.

Despite all these advantages, the Parliament members say the leader must also come from Mogadishu.

Modern fragile nations must be held together by common interest.

I will suggest Hargeisa, Baraawe and Garoowe.

Doctor that might be true to some extend but reer Mogadishu are almost 3 million people its far from village i am planning to visit the place this summer , every city a clan is the Majority there is no city or a town with out a clan majority Mogadishu is not an exception. Now i am old enough to remember the old Somali republic and How Mogadishu was during my younger years and its far from people with a clan mentality the People of Mogadishu what i have been told became hardened people by the plight and the misery the city endured the past 2 decades, and this is not entirely this fault Mogadishu the assal reer Muqdishu are really reer magaal people Nomadic culture from the central regions and all over the old Somali republic came to Mogadishu and all contributed to the city. There is really no other city that can replace Mogadishu in terms of prestige and majestic past and historic civilization of the city it will take time for Somalis to overcome the trauma and the wars.But eventually i am sure Mogadishu will serve Somalia again.