Sign in to follow this  
Homunculus

Somalia arrests woman over rape allegations

Police in Somalia have arrested a 19-year-old alleged rape victim and a journalist who interviewed her about the attack, a government official told Al Jazeera.

Both the victim and Mohamed Bashir, a reporter for Radio Shabelle, were arrested on Wednesday for defamation, according to government spokesman Abdirahman Omar Osman. The owner of Radio Shabelle, Abdi Malik Yusuf, was also arrested, but has been released on “medical grounds,” according to the spokesman.

Aljaeera

Yea, arrest her. She probably brought it upon herself right. How do they expect future rape victims to come forward when they are being thrown in jail for speaking out? I.diots

We need to go back to the day's of just offing people who are accused of certain crimes....Rape being one of 'em.

^^You and I know both know that the Somali Police (most of them) are nothing more than thugs in uniform. Man I thought the Kenyan Police were bad, but the Somali cops take it to a whole another level.

This type of stuff shouldn't surprise any of us

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;987034 wrote:
Why so angry? Perhaps it was a legitimate arrest. Are the Somali police not capable of proper due diligence?

Naga daa SP, I hope you're being sarcastic. How could this possibly be a legitimate arrest? Not only is this a terrible trend for women's rights in Somalia because of how the government has been responding to victims of sexual violence, but also for freedom of the press in the country.

Haatu   

SomaliPhilosopher;987041 wrote:
^^ Well Haatu if such accusations are true, and thereby she lied of such rape publicaly, does that not warrant an arrest?

Knowing the society we come from where rape victims are stigmatized, why would she ever consider doing that and risk ruining her social status?

^ Haatu, circumstances at times can prevail over 'social status'. For instance, many cases of rape, not to undermine the legitimate victims, are often told by refugees in efforts of resettlement. Not to mention, other reasons like 'delegitimizing' the government, compensation of sorts, ect.

Safferz;987038 wrote:
Naga daa SP, I hope you're being sarcastic. How could this possibly be a legitimate arrest? Not only is this a terrible trend for women's rights in Somalia because of how the government has been responding to victims of sexual violence, but also for freedom of the press in the country.

Well Saffy, you have to look at the nuances of the story. Even Al-Jazeera hints at a few subtleties.

Snippets of the article:

"During the interview, which has been posted on YouTube, the victim alleges that she was attacked by another journalist working for state-owned radio station, Radio Mogadishu. The victim said during the interview that she was raped at gunpoint in Mogadishu and names her alleged attacker"

“She admitted to have been pressured to make the video by [bashir],” Omar Osman [Employee of Radio Shabelle] said, adding that police have not arrested the man accused of the rape.

Last month government security forces raided Radio Shabelle arresting all journalists at the station forcing it to shut down.

All I am saying is I can play the blame game too.. Fitzgerald said "reserving judgement is a matter of infinite hope." Well at least folks shouldn't be quick to make judgement from their electronic devices, when in fact they are very detached from such scene. But such inclinations are expected given our relationship with government over the few years.

SomaliPhilosopher;987050 wrote:
^ Haatu, circumstances at times can prevail over 'social status'. For instance, many cases of rape, not to undermine the legitimate victims, are often told by refugees in efforts of resettlement. Not to mention, other reasons like 'delegitimizing' the government, compensation of sorts, ect.

Well Saffy, you have to look at the nuances of the story. Even Al-Jazeera hints at a few subtleties.

Snippets of the article:

"During the interview, which has been posted on YouTube, the victim alleges that she was attacked by another journalist working for
state-owned
radio station,
Radio Mogadishu
. The victim said during the interview that she was raped at gunpoint in Mogadishu and names her alleged attacker"

“She
admitted
to have been
pressured
to make the video by
[bashir],” Omar Osman
[Employee of Radio Shabelle] said, adding that police have not arrested the man accused of the rape.

Last month government security forces
raided Radio Shabelle arresting all journalists at the station forcing it to shut down.

All I am saying is I can play the blame game too.. Fitzgerald said "reserving judgement is a matter of infinite hope." Well at least folks shouldn't be quick to make judgement from their electronic devices, when in fact they are very detached from such scene. But such inclinations are expected given our relationship with government over the few years.

Cabdiraxmaan Cumar Cismaan (Yariisoow) is afhayeenka madaxweynaha, not an employee of Shabeelle. He is the one alleging the victim is pressured by warbaahinta Shabeelle. So Cumar Cismaan (Omar Osman) is not a worker of Shabeelle as you mistakenly quoted above.

SomaliPhilosopher;987050 wrote:

Snippets of the article:

"During the interview, which has been posted on YouTube, the victim alleges that she was attacked by another journalist working for
state-owned
radio station,
Radio Mogadishu
. The victim said during the interview that she was raped at gunpoint in Mogadishu and names her alleged attacker"

“She
admitted
to have been
pressured
to make the video by
[bashir],” Omar Osman
[Employee of Radio Shabelle] said, adding that police have not arrested the man accused of the rape.

Last month government security forces
raided Radio Shabelle arresting all journalists at the station forcing it to shut down.

SomaliPhilosopher;987055 wrote:
^^ Oh didn't notice that comma. Well, that doesn't change what i meant. "bashir" is the one who pressured her, an employee of Shabeelle.

How do you know that? Because a government afhayeen said so? You take as face value whatever an afhayeen of government utters or alleges? Kamoon.

DoctorKenney;987035 wrote:
^^You and I know both know that the Somali Police (most of them) are nothing more than thugs in uniform. Man I thought the Kenyan Police were bad, but the Somali cops take it to a whole another level.

This type of stuff shouldn't surprise any of us

you needn't accuse them of being corrupt and thuggish.

the burden of prove lies with the women who've made such allegations their bread and butter. 4 witness, somaha?