Sign in to follow this  
Homunculus

Somalia arrests woman over rape allegations

Safferz   

Apophis;987059 wrote:
Arrest the complainant? It's a good way to reduce fake complaints, especially of rape. I like it.

Alpha Blondy;987062 wrote:
you needn't accuse them of being corrupt and thuggish.

the burden of prove lies with the women who've made such allegations their bread and butter. 4 witness, somaha?

You guys are gross.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;987065 wrote:
do you think DNA technology should replace the 4 witness?

Medieval Saudi Arabian punishment does not = Islam, the four witness thing is not for rape cases or to falsify a rape victim's claim, it's been used in Islamic legal history to make certain that people accused of adultery have indeed committed the act before authorizing a serious punishment for it.

cadnaan1   

Waxay u badantahay in gabadha shaqo loo balanqaaday oo ay alaabteeda macdanta laaluush ahaan baxsatay markii shaqadii waysay ay qarxis bilawday.

Safferz;987070 wrote:
Medieval Saudi Arabian punishment does not = Islam, the four witness thing is not for rape cases or to falsify a rape victim's claim, it's been used in Islamic legal history to make certain that people accused of adultery have indeed committed the act before authorizing a serious punishment for it.

abti,

Saudi Arabia was founded in 1926. kulaha medieval. isku xishood.

for our cordial intellectual relations, please refrain from making inaccurate and gaff-prone statements.

thanks,

Al.

Safferz   

Calling it medieval is an understatement. Anyway it's not important, I'm no longer interested in participating in this thread... I find the attitudes towards rape victims disturbing and I'd rather not read them.

Safferz;987074 wrote:
Calling it medieval is an understatement.
Anyway it's not important
, I'm no longer interested in participating in this thread... I find the attitudes towards rape victims disturbing and I'd rather not read them.

you can't just pick and chose your mistakes. YOU made a CLEAR mistake. please apologies.

Saffz,

inabti,

please don't misconstrue my intentions. i would never personally condone kufsi, ma garatay?

i'm merely saying.....there are vile women out there who have no qualms about fabricating heinous allegations of kufsi, dee. this is why a woman only get half of what the man gets in inheritance. if you don't believe me........ask the Saudis.

Cadale   

Bogus story.

NO emotions at all displayed when she's saying she got raped. Not to mention that she's an shabelle employee, a radio station that was closed by the SFG. stop being so gullible folks.

Hawdian   

This issue is pretty serious the police must investigate this and the courts must take action. I listen to this interview and i cnt for love god see why she should lie. But the impartial judicial system must look at all the l facts now. Taan labaad inadeeryaal reer moqdisho joojiya waxan magaac ummada somaliyed baa ku dumayaa. Tarzan maalin horee wuxu yidhe dumarka xamar ha iss nadifiyaan waxas waa laga fcnyee ruunti .

UN warns Somalia after alleged rape victim, journalists arrested

The United Nations in Somalia called Thursday for a "proper investigation" after police arrested an alleged rape victim and the journalists who reported her story for defamation.

Rape, and reporting on sexual assault, is one of the most sensitive topics in Somalia, and the case is the latest in a series of arrests of victims and the journalists who aired their story.

The alleged victim, a 19-year old reporter, told the independent Radio Shabelle she was attacked and raped at gunpoint by two fellow journalists.

"One of the men threatened me with a pistol, and took me to the bedroom by force... both of them raped me several times, destroying my pride and dignity," she said, in a video interview broadcast on Somalia's Radio Shabelle website earlier this week.

AFP

Cadale;987077 wrote:
Bogus story.

NO emotions at all displayed when she's saying she got raped. Not to mention that she's an shabelle employee, a radio station that was closed by the SFG. stop being so gullible folks.

Would you prefer if she was wailing and tearing her hair off in the video?

some of the comments here are mind boggling, but if this what supposedly western educated Somalis say about this woman imagine the hardship she faced talking about her ordeal in Somalia where there is no justice system for the weak.

Cadale   

Apophis;987108 wrote:
Her "ordeal" does not exist until it is proven
beyond reasonable doubt in a just court of law. The western education you speak of teaches that the accused is innocent until proven guilty.

Indeed some of the comments here from supposedly western minds are boggling, as they are quick to believe any hearsay.

+1.

Apophis;987108 wrote:
Her "ordeal" does not exist until it is proven beyond reasonable doubt in a just court of law. The western education you speak of teaches that the accused is innocent until proven guilty.

Indeed some of the comments here from supposedly western minds are boggling, as they are quick to believe any hearsay.

So you think her arrest is justified and that the burden of proof should be on any victim of crime in Somalia. The police should abdicate any responsibility and prosecute the "alleged victim" for daring to say anything that might cast them in bad light.

Her story might be bogus but you judged her and dismissed her story and the police arrested her (they agree with you), she is a criminal now for claiming to be raped. I'm sure in your world that's how it's supposed to work, the police arrest the "victims" and lay the burden of proof on them.

Apophis;987133 wrote:
Logic 101, the burden of proof is always on the claimant.

What evidence do you have that is the case?

But you also judged and dismissed the accused without an iota of evidence. In your, illogical, world, the cart comes before the donkey.

1. The police arrested the alleged victim first, they didn't even book the alleged rapists or question them (unless they questioned them outside the police station which I'm sure is fine by you).

2. They arrested the journalist and the radio owner and forced the closure of the radio, i'm sure that is justified and normal.

3. The rape victim jailed for offending a state institution, this is now a political issue that required the office of the president to respond to international outcry. By inserting politics the police is now tainted, they are not neutral and can not do their job without raising questions. Did they arrest her to force her to change her testimony? Did they do their due diligence in investigating the original alleged crime?

4. This is not the first case:

In February, a Somali journalist and a rape victim he interviewed were both sentenced to a year in prison after being found guilty of "offending state institutions".

However they were released two months into their jail term after the case sparked widespread international criticism.

In that case, the court found the woman had lied after a midwife conducted a "finger test" to see if she had been raped, which Human Rights Watch (HRW) said was an "unscientific and degrading practice that has long been discredited".

This points to a pattern of prosecuting the "victim" especially if the alleged crime was will cast the government in bad light (or AMISOM). The insinuation that any "victim" will gain anything by coming forward is debunked, not to mention the prosecution rape victims face in society.