Sign in to follow this  
Hawdian

The Hollywood Perception of Somali Men

Hawdian   

Before You read This Article I want to YOU To Understand

Do Not Write Any Hurtful or Disrespectful Arguments Against RAga Amba Dumarka.

This is the View of A 18-old Girl and Quit Frankly She does raise some very good Points.

cool:

The Hollywood Perception of Somali Men

by Kowthar A. Yabarow

Monday, October 21, 2013

Being an eighteen-year-old college student has made me a relatively active user of social media. With this being said, I've noticed a particular trend with Somali women continuously undermining the overall capabilities of Somali men. Of course, Somali men don't live up to our standards. That's because no man does. Unrealistic expectations defined by Hollywood romantic comedy films have clouded our idea of a "good catch."

As for me, I've come across more Somali women than men who bash their own kind. Every race has its bad apples but to generalize the entire Somali male population is an ignorant assumption. There's nothing wrong with reaching your full potential, but let's remember a four-year degree and a job doesn't change your cultural identity. Being successful and Somali can be one in the same. I hope you realize you're still Somali and by bashing your own people this indeed is considered as self-hate. You actually may suffer a problem deeper than what others assume.

As for interracial couples, I support that. In fact, I think they're beautiful. But when you turn to other races solely because you're ashamed of your own it comes down to the saying "if you don't love yourself, who will". And when you act upon the genuine and sincere beliefs that Somali men are inferior, I suggest you take a step back, sit down, and come to realize you just said that your father, brother, uncle or even grandfather are also inferior. Let's not forget that they too are Somali men.

And let's face it, our priorities need help. Our generation of Somalis are so fixed on finding the "right" person that they end up compromising the most important ingredient in a potential husband; his deen. I'm all for being specific. I mean, you are choosing someone you plan on spending the rest of your life with. But there's a huge difference between knowing what you want and ruling out the potential of an entire population. Yes, you may never come across the perfect "Somali man" but nobody is perfect. By viewing the world as a stage, you realize that although you've come across a couple bad performers it doesn't mean the show is over.

There are plenty of handsome, successful, righteous Somali men in the world. So before you make a hasty conclusion about Somali men, take a deeper look and come to realize that what you attract just might be a reflection of yourself. Above all else, put your trust in Allah because "Good women are for Good men" (24:16) so you will receive what you deserve.

So to Somali girls with this mindset, I most certainly believe you are beautiful and while you're confidence may seem attractive it could be mistaken for arrogance. Don't let a few negative personal experiences taint your perception about an entire Somali male population. The Somali men may think it but never say it. So there you have it. This is directed to a few, not all. No offense taken, only opinions shared.

Sr. Kowthar has learned at 18 what some Somali women three times her age have not yet learned. I'm not just picking on Somali women here, I believe every Somali stakeholder is partially responsible for this. Deen first is a pretty good policy to go by (the only policy IMHO), but when Deen is not a priority that's where all heck breaks loose!

Wadani   

guleed_ali;982564 wrote:
Sr. Kowthar has learned at 18 what some Somali women three times her age have not yet learned. I'm not just picking on Somali women here, I believe every Somali stakeholder is partially responsible for this. Deen first is a pretty good policy to go by (the only policy IMHO), but when Deen is not a priority that's where all heck breaks loose!

U missed the entire point.

Ibtisam   

A little ego stroking and you are all happy. Simply men :D What she said is the same as what every women on this forum has been shouting at you for years. Marrying outside the Somali race has nothing to do with Somali men- often it just so happens two people fall in fall and marry.

I dont know if there are a large proportion of Somali women saying "I will never marry a Somali man, I am going to make an active choice to marry a noneSomali" What I do often hear is girls saying "I've always wanted to marry a Somali, but can't find one I am compatible with, I'm start considering other Muslims"

And like Kowthar says- nothing wrong with that.

At 18, maxaa iyaad waxaan ka galey ba? What happened to keeping your head in the books- She should not even know men exist at this age- let alone categorize them. :P

Tallaabo   

*Ibtisam;982580 wrote:
At 18, maxaa iyaad waxaan ka galey ba? What happened to keeping your head in the books- She should not even know men exist at this age- let alone categorize them.
:P

LOL:D

^^

Let people marry who they want. But there are consequences and people should not fool themselves...

For every Somali sister ashamed of us Somali guys, there are plenty others proud of us and don't even mind being second or third in line...

You want to marry cadaan or Jamaican? Knock your self out but don't go boo hoo when ayeeyo says "na ilmahaan maxay ahaayeen, na idhaafi waxaan" about your kids and discriminates my pure Somali kids against your half-half ones....you made your choice, live with it. You can't teach ayeeyo, the old dog, new tricks....

There actually are Somali sisters who cringe at the thought of marrying a Somali man. Somali sisters marry outside at a higher proportion than our other Muslim counterparts, that's just a fact around my neck of the woods at least. And Ya'll haven't mentioned the double standard between Somali proposers (for lack of a better term) and non-Somali ones. I remember one sister's wedding consisting of Coke and Pizza in the basement of a Masjid (non-Somali groom). A Somali groom well we know the rest of that story.....

Here's an article I just saw coincidentally, food for thought!

http://www.shacabkamedia.com/warka/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3315:daawogabdhaha-somalida-oo-hal-doolar-ka-yar-nimanka-ajnabiga-ku-guursadahalka-ragga-soomalida-ay-ku-mehersadaan-25000-doolar&catid=3:maqaallo&Itemid=6

Hawdian   

There is a Somali Saying that goes like "Hadaad Badaa isku tuurteed biyoo woo kutaabsanyaa".

I wish These smallprincesses Would deal with their( *)Cuqada Nafetooda hestatoo and leave Magac Somaliyed alone and Meeshaan tageen iska imaaansadaan.

Note: Ummada Somallyed walee weey isku fillantheey aduu maad isku fillanant(?).:cool::

(*): ummada oo dhan maaxa ee waa kuwaa xanoon hayoo uuun .

Ibtisam   

I find Said Rage hypocritical in this topic- he left his Somali wife and kids for a blond, blue eyed women- and his Somali wife's family paid for HIS wedding when he was a broke student. On reflection I am sure the family regret being so nice to him.

I heard one story does not constitute "lots" or "facts"- an anomaly at best.