Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Youth Entrepreneurs in Garissa

Haatu   

We definitely need more of this kind of stuff. We have a lot of educated youth with a lot of good ideas that just lack the funds and guidance to make those ideas a reality. It also creates sustainable job growth for the town.

Coofle   

on a side note let me tell this short anecdote; There is Mandera & Garissa in Somaliland, so I only knew the Mandera near Hargeisa, and the Garisa in Awdal. There was this time radio was doing some program, and they keep interviewing people in Garisa and Mandera etc...I was like "Waar tuulooyinkii maxaa umad dagan!" , and they they kept repeating the Kenyan Govt ....After a while someone made it clear for me...it was mind boggling(Some facts are not disclosed due to their sensitive nature))

Haatu   

^It's as if no one knows where we are :D

I just came across the Garissa entry for the ease of doing business here:

http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/kenya/sub/garissa/#dealing-with-construction-permits

It's amazing to see the amount of bureaucracy required but at least we're doing well compared to the rest of Kenya. We're ranked 1st for enforcing contracts, 3rd for dealing with construction permits and ranked 4th for the overall ease of doing business out of 13 cities beating cities such as Nairobi, Narok and Kisumu. Not bad I say :cool:

Tallaabo   

Haatu;974192 wrote:
^It's as if no one knows where we are
:D

I just came across the Garissa entry for the ease of doing business here:

It's amazing to see the amount of bureaucracy required but at least we're doing well compared to the rest of Kenya. We're ranked 1st for enforcing contracts, 3rd for dealing with construction permits and ranked 4th for the overall ease of doing business out of 13 cities beating cities such as Nairobi, Narok and Kisumu. Not bad I say :cool:

Well if each state in Kenya can make their own laws and regulations then the NFD should get rid of all the red tape to attract investment.

YoniZ   

Thanks Haatu, I enjoyed watching the doc, huge educated youth potential.

I wonder if the top university graduates from NFD ever come back to their counties and share the benefit with their communities not as politicians running for parliament but civil servants and entrepreneurs.

nuune   

^^ Most of them end up working for UN agencies in Nairobi and Dadaab, as this is the most lucrative job in that part of the world, there is no future for them in going back the counties they grew up, waa sad situation and hopeless.

If HAATU is not bothering going back there and setting up some sort of business that the community can benefit from, what hope do those graduates have in Nairobi, the mention of Garissa, Ijaara, Kullan, Sarrif, Wajer, Biya-Madoow, Bannaaneey, Mandera are all hell to be avoided, the bread and basked is in Nairobi for them.

When is that going to change, depends on the useless politicians from the region, they need to have a facilitating system that welcomes and opens doors for the graduates, they need to attract the graduates so that they can invest their expertise to do more for the region.

The link HAATU mentioned says that a new business approval takes 13 days to process or set up, why 13 days, I believe the 13 days approval is done when some bribery money is given to the local office that handles registration of businesses.

Garissa needs to be the forefront of everything, it is the gateway to to Nairobi, to Mombasa, to Somalia, to Ethiopia, it is strategically located, with its resources such as the River, and recently the oil discovery outside Garissa, they can become a FREE-ZONE, where trade and everything takes place.

fish farming?

Haatu,

Abti,

since when did this poverty-stricken hell-hole have a coast? is uncle Ahmed 'Kibaki' Madoobe allowing access to Kismayo port?

i have never heard the Queen's English vicariously abused like this. Af-Somaali maxaa u diiday?

that Ifrah Ali, the radio presenter, would be good for a date or two, you know.

nuune   

^^ inaar, you do understand that Lamu & Malindi belongs to Garissa, even though they are claimed by some Laangaabs of Barwaneese Swahili.

I think HAATU is referring to River fishing, is that even possible, fishing for yixaas, I know Yixaas meat is tasty and delicious, but I haven't heard anyone from that region fishing for Yixaas or Kadabshiir

^^

apparently not. Lamu is now a county of it's own. it was formed on March 4th 2013. for a minute, i thought, you were talking about the same Lamu Port Southern Sudan-Ethiopia Transport Corridor (LAPSSET) aka The Lamu corridor that'll transport oil from South Sudan. good decision from Kibaki to exclude this strategic pipeline from going through the Somali NFD Region. who knows what they'll do? if ever there was an example, just see what UBBO did to the 100+ chinese workers a few years back.

as for the fishing, yaa oog? for all we know it could be bantus they're fishing. reer NFD are vile.

nuune   

UBBO maxaa la dhahaa, ma waxaad ula jeedaa ubbada wax lagu shubto, ubbo waa weel laga sameeyay geed, oo sida xeerada camal geed laga sameeyey, inaar, ubbo hadeysan waxaas aan sheegay aheyn dee adaa cirka roob ku og,

nuune;974571 wrote:
dee adaa cirka roob ku og,

:D:D

i love that maahmaah, inaar. excellent. 10/10.

malaaha adna wax baad ku ogtahay Golden Rules, ma istidhi?

nuune   

Waxa aad ka hadleyso anigu garan maayo, Golden Rules maxey ah

ar bal tan daya, hana waalin dee, duf ku bax

YoniZ   

nuune;974553 wrote:
^^ Most of them end up working for UN agencies in Nairobi and Dadaab, as this is the most lucrative job in that part of the world, there is no future for them in going back the counties they grew up, waa sad situation and hopeless.

Very sad indeed, what a wasted talent. I can see the potential of these kids and their desire to make counties a better place to live, if they choose to come back after graduation.