Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

NYPD Commissioner: African Americans are being understopped

Wadani;945427 wrote:
I understand where ur coming from, but without addressing the root causes these band aid solutions will fix nothing, and may even exacerbate the crime problem as the young black men begin rage out against society even more in their indignation.

But addressing the root causes are all long-term solutions to this problem. Long-term solutions take years, even decades to sort out. In the mean-time what should be done?

I've seen too many young Black (and Somali) men behave like thugs when they had no reason to. And I see no reason for these men to change their behavior, at least within the near future.

A wise man once wrote: “Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must..

The weak suffer what they must......always.

Safferz   

DoctorKenney, there are a number of fallacies structuring your argument, all of which are false statistically speaking:

1) New York City has a high crime rate (it has one of the lowest for a major city in the United States, so does Los Angeles... and economists like Steven Levitt have shown the drops in crime rates across the United States have little to do with police practices)

2) Stop and frisk is an effective police tactic (less than 0.2% of stops find weapons on the person, which actually shows it's a failure)

3) The people who are being stopped and frisked are thugs/somehow precipitated the police encounter on account of their own behaviour (do you consider Forrest Whitaker stepping out of a deli suspicious? or my brother and his friends, ironically law students working on these very issues, who were riding the subway? The main critique of stop and frisk is that it profiles anyone and everyone who is black and male and treats them as suspects)

So with those assumptions removed, you have no argument.

Chimera you remind me of Friedrich's Wanderer above the Sea of Fog painting. Similar to the man depicted in the painting, you strike me as a man who stands upon a mountain, elevated if you will, which explains your utopian outlook. Your position from the mountain allows you to view life from afar, distanced. Close enough to see the beauty of a cougars face but far enough to not notice the wrinkles. Most importantly what elevates you to this mountain is your egocentrism exempli gratia "those thugs vs little old respectful me". iska xishod ninyahow. humble yourself.

friedrich.wanderer-sea-fog.jpg

DoctorKenney;945425 wrote:
Maybe it's because Brampton and Mississauga have extremely low crime rates?

For once sir, put yourself in the position of living in a large American city with a high crime rate, and you'll see what we're talking about.

Nope. Brampton has by far the highest petty crime rates out of any city in the GTA. Also, the neighborhood I live in has 6-7 shootings in an average year with 2-3 resulting in deaths. Heck, my little brother and several dozen teens had to witness a homicide at the rec centre two years ago.

Don't let the relative low crime rate of Peel region fool you. I'll look for an article I read in the past which had the disaggregated crime rates all 3 Peel Municipalities. If I remember correctly, Brampton accounted for a disproportionate amount of crime in the region.

Wadani   

SomaliPhilosopher;945433 wrote:
Chimera you remind me of Friedrich's
Wanderer above the Sea of Fog
painting. Similar to the man depicted in the painting, you strike me as a man who stands upon a mountain, elevated if you will, which explains your utopian outlook. Your position from the mountain allows you to view life from afar, distanced. Close enough to see the beauty of a cougars face but far enough to not notice the wrinkles. Most importantly what elevates you to this mountain is your egocentrism exempli gratia "those thugs vs little old respectful me". iska xishod ninyahow. humble yourself.

friedrich.wanderer-sea-fog.jpg

Lmao!!!

Chimera   

Safferz;945424 wrote:

And I suppose you think people of colour making up huge percentages of the
is just because they commit more crimes? lol c'mon now, you're not thinking here.

Its a current reality, how they got there, and how society failed them in education, and economy is irrelevant to fact that as of now "they do make up a disproportionate percentage". Police-officers act in real-time, they don't have the luxury of perusing historic crimes and contemplate what their style of policing might have been or predict future environments and the appropriate police measures that come with it.

Wadani   

Blackflash;945437 wrote:
Nope. Brampton has by far the highest petty crime rates out of any city in the GTA. Also, the neighborhood I live in has 6-7 shootings in an average year with 2-3 resulting in deaths. Heck, my little brother and several dozen teens had to witness a homicide at the rec centre two years ago.

Don't let the relative low crime rate of Peel region fool you. I'll look for an article I read in the past which had the disaggregated crime rates all 3 Peel Municipalities. If I remember correctly, Brampton accounted for a disproportionate amount of crime in the region.

And u do know y right?

You hardly see any white cops around upper Manhattan to all the way to the 167th street in the Bronx. It's black and Latino cops "racial profiling" African American men apparently.

Wadani;945440 wrote:
And u do know y right?

Are you inferring that Brampton having the most significant West-Indies population of any Canadian municipality is the reason behind the crime trends?

Wadani   

AfricaOwn;945441 wrote:
You hardly see any white cops around upper Manhattan to all the way to the 167th street in the Bronx. It's black and Latino cops "racial profiling" African American men apparently.

This has always been a tactic employed by the dominant power structure. It's akin to the ethiopians use of liyuu booliis in kilinka. A soldier/cop outside the power framework will work tens times as hard and be ten times as brutal to his own people to please his masters, who smugly look on from afar.

Wadani   

Blackflash;945442 wrote:
Are you inferring that Brampton having the most significant West-Indies population of any Canadian municipality is the reason behind the crime trends?

Guilty as charged loool

Safferz   

Chimera;945439 wrote:
Its a current reality, how they got there, and how society failed them in education, and economy is irrelevant to fact that as of now "they do make up a disproportionate percentage". Police-officers act in real-time, they don't have the luxury of perusing historic crimes and contemplate what their style of policing might have been or predict future environments and the appropriate police measures that come with it.

You brought up the fact that people of colour make up a large proportion of the prison population to justify why they should be profiled on the street by police, and I qualified that by pointing out what you're advocating here - the presupposition of criminality purely on the basis of a person's blackness - is precisely why large numbers of black men are incarcerated. I encourage you to pick up the book I linked to about the US justice system and mass incarceration for a fuller picture, but in short if you are a black person you are more likely to be a victim of police harassment and brutality, more likely to face charges for what young white men get a slap on the wrist or warning for, more likely to be convicted for the same crime as a white person, more likely to receive a harsher and longer sentence than a white person, and more likely to face the death penalty for the same crimes as a white person. I'm just not sure how you don't see the implications of stop and frisk within this wider context of race, policing and incarceration.

Safferz   

Wadani;945444 wrote:
This has always been a tactic employed by the dominant power structure. It's akin to the ethiopians use of liyuu booliis in kilinka. A soldier/cop outside the power framework will work tens times as hard and be ten times as brutal to his own people to please his masters, who smugly look on from afar.

+1, as Michael Eric Dyson says, you can be black but still a ventriloquist for white supremacy. Skinship is not kinship lol