Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

NYPD Commissioner: African Americans are being understopped

Safferz;945603 wrote:
Also false, there are economists and other researchers who have shown that the role of policing in that drop in crime is negligible. Crime rates dropped across the United States over that period.

Lets just stick with NYC. Are you saying that mayor Gulliani almost doubling the new york police force and providing them with the resource needed to fight crime had nothing to do with crime numbers falling during his tenure?

What are these economists and researches you speak of saying were the main reason why crime fell?

So Steven Levitt University of Chicago says it wasn't policing strategy that made crime to fall, but it was abortion that played a role in reducing the crime? I'm guessing you agree with this theory? :)

Safferz   

AfricaOwn;945833 wrote:
^^^Its a controversial claim, you have many other economists that disagree with his study (
) and Mr Levitt is going to rebuttal, and they will as well...At the end of the day, you're only supporting the economist that supports your theory.

That's not how evidence and data works, it's not simply "supporting the economist that supports your theory." It's controversial because abortion is a sensitive matter politically, not because his data is lacking. It's also a theory you learned about some 20 minutes ago, so I suggest you go do some reading and catching up before trying to dismiss 20 years of a leading economist's research on crime in US cities so you can keep arguing policing practices like stop and frisk are effective, when all evidence shows that they are not.

Wadani   

I actually met this Levitt guy and my pal got him to autograph his copy of freakonomics. He was aight lol.

Wadani   

Safferz;945851 wrote:
He's one of my many academic crushes
:)

Ur futile attempt at making me jealous has been noted. :D