Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

There is something rotten in the state of Puntland!

NGONGE   

The Imam is at it again and, this time, he’s going for broke.

The last four months were beautiful and (comparatively) tranquil for Somali politics but then the Imam woke up and decided to shake things up a bit. What exactly is he up to though and why now?

It’s very clear that he’s trying to put some pressure on the Hassan Sheikh government by hinting at not attending the London Conference but to what end? Of course, his attendance or absence from London is not likely to make any difference this time (it would have last year). Nonetheless, there must be some logic to such a decision. Is it to show the international community that Somalia is not what it seems and that the old divisions are resurfacing again? Fair enough, but wouldn’t that impact on PL in (more or less) the same way it would on the federal government? This leads me to believe that this is nothing but a ruse to spook Hassan Sheikh and make him blink first.

The far reaching Imam has also decided to openly interfere in the Jubbaland problem. What does he hope to achieve here and why put his name and state at stake for such meagre gains? Of course, I followed and paid attention to some of the “big tent” arguments on this site. Yet, I also previously followed and heard of the deportations of ONLF operatives from PL and the bad blood that existed between PL and the big footed people. Surely the man that threw Khaatumo in the sea has not developed a clan conscious and is not suddenly full of love for his wider kin! So what’s in it for him?

Talking of Khaatumo, has a secret deal been struck with that state? I only ask because this is the sole explanation I could find to the Imam’s fantastic accusations about a change in the federal constitution. The charge here is that the constitution that was presented to the Somali parliament was different to the one agreed upon by the roadmap signatories. The constitution was presented to Jawaari on the seventh of September 2012 a full three days before Hassan Sheikh was elected. This would mean that Hassan Sheikh had nothing to do with any changes (if ANY) that took place and cannot be accused of being the architect of such deceit. This only leaves Jawaari, who by the way was the former chairman of the Independent Federal Constitution Commission! Now, PL must have a reason for making such an accusation EIGHT MONTHS after the “crime” took place. Are they after a change of the constitution to benefit Jubbaland or are they after the removal of Jawaari (or both)? And, if Jawaari is removed, will this give Glayer a chance to contest the position? Could it be that PL have finally found a carrot to dangle his way?

All these are farfetched suppositions that may or may not prove true. However, the one thing I’m certain of now is that Hassan Sheikh’s room for manoeuvre on the Jubbaland issue was much more powerful than we were led to believe. :D

What he wants has always been consistent though his tlming is off. To have him and Hasan at press conference welcoming mutual agreements and airing differences is good start to reaching some sort of resolution. As for Jubba, there's clan angle but more importantlty it's matter of cementing the federalism. To that end, Puntland is steadfast in promoting federalism.

NGONGE   

^^ What did you expect them to do, Che? Fist fight in the press conference? :D

They spoke nicely but the disagreements sound like BIG ones. Wax fahan.

A very speculative piece, why is Somali politics so convoluted? I don't get how you reached that conclusion about Khaatumo, please try to bring facts (even false facts if possible to show some effort) Facts ------> Conclusion not Speculation -------> Conclusion.

NGONGE   

^^ You're such a highly-strung nomad, saaxib. Read what I wrote again (spend a few mintues on the LAST two lines). :D

Che, everything can be overcome. But what's that got to do with anything here?

Carafaat   

That is so unlike Puntland to not attend a meeting. Something is really wrong here. Faroole seems to be running out of tricks. The big tent, our houses are occupied, the constitution was changed, Federal Governent waa HAG, Jabuuti-Hargeysa-Moqadishu conspiracy ayaa jirta, Muqdisho is not the Somali capital, etc.

Sheekadu iminka wexe gaadhay 'kama qeyb galino', tana waxa ku xigta 'waa go'aynaa'(see the Puntland constitution, article 3).

N.O.R.F   

You're reading too much into it Ngonge. The Imam wants to feel important. He wants his ego stroked. So, once in a while, he throws his toys out.

NGONGE   

^^ Can't see some pictures at work. What is it?

N.O.R.F;944615 wrote:
You're reading too much into it Ngonge. The Imam wants to feel important. He wants his ego stroked. So, once in a while, he throws his toys out.

The Imam IS important, saaxib. He's been silent for a while and finally decided to start shooting his mouth. There must be a very good reason to get him to act in such a way.

Norf. The man has legitimate concerns and shared what he disagrees with. The timing might be off but his concerns are valid.

Ngonge. Are we talking his last minute declaration regarding the conference ( his approach might be wrong and timing off) or are we talking his concerns which I believe are valid?

Lost in all of this are things they did agree on!

nuune   

Are his concerns that the consitutionka ayaa laga dhilleystey, in that case, if it is true, then Faroole is absulutli right, halaga daayo constitutionka fara-fareynta.

NGONGE   

Che -Guevara;944622 wrote:
Norf. The man has legitimate concerns and shared what he disagrees with. The timing might be off but his concerns are valid.

Ngonge. Are we talking his last minute declaration regarding the conference ( his approach might be wrong and timing off) or are we talking his concerns which I believe are valid?

Lost in all of this are things they did agree on!

What they agreed on surely can't bear any comparison to the three they didn't agree on, Che. Not going to London, falling out over Jubbaland and making bleated accusations about tampering with the constitution (which clearly implicate the speaker of parliment) are NOT small disagreements that can be brushed aside, saaxib. This is the nuclear option that I was joking to Xiin about yesterday. But why now?

Miyir   

nuune;944623 wrote:
Are his concerns that the consitutionka ayaa laga dhilleystey, in that case, if it is true, then Faroole is absulutli right, halaga daayo constitutionka fara-fareynta.

if proven these accusation Qoslaye's team not ready to govern also retarded move copies are everywhere.

The constitution was presented to Jawaari on the seventh of September 2012 a full three days before Hassan Sheikh was elected. This would mean that Hassan Sheikh had nothing to do with any changes (if ANY) that took place and cannot be accused of being the architect of such decei

Its not about the constitutions or what not .. its about Puntland Participating in London conference as equal as Fed Gov , President Hassan told Farole in Straight face NO NO Means NO ...

Wada hadaladii albaabada ugu xirnaa Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya Xasan Sheekh Maxamuud iyo Madaxweynaha Puntland C/raxmaan Faroole ayaa aaqirkii keenay in Madaxweyne Xasan Sheekh uu diido in soo jeedinta Puntland oo ahaa in shirka London lagu daro, iyadoo Madaxweynuhu ku adkeystay in ajandaha shirkaas uu yahay mid cad, isla markaana horay loo go’aamiyay.