Sign in to follow this  
Illyria

Elections in Puntland, 2013/2014

Carafaat   

Illyria;944305 wrote:
Midnimo and UDAD are making some reasonable demands, and some that are difficult to meet. Having a Supreme Court of which role is to mediate in the event of disputes, and to stamp the election results, is reasonable, and the administration must pay attention to these concerns. It is in the best interest of all.

But why personalise, and go after 4 of the PEC members?

mid_ud.png

>

Faroole appointed those 4 members and they form a majority of the "Electoral Committee". Wax fahan. :D

Carafaat   

Illyria;944295 wrote:
And now HORCAD withdraws its participation of the local council elections, but did not articulate the reasoning other than criticising the process, and the Election Commission.

Why would any one else be in control other than Khatumo? After all it is a Khatumo territory.

So is Khatumo part of Puntland? Afterall its the Puntland elections. Warkaga cadee boowe. :D

Carafaat   

SomaliPhilosopher;944545 wrote:
Where can I read Farole's dissertation from his phd days?

Now you are crossing the line. Xiin would answer that your emotional and jalous of his highness. :D

Carafaat   

Stop insulting and hating on Dottore Faroole and mind your secessionist business. Secessionist dhib badanaa with their never ending questions.

Illyria   

So with your statistical analysis, 4 is greater than 5 where 4 is a majority? Or was maths not taught at your school? And are you certain these are the 4 the administration appointed?

Carafaat;944543 wrote:
Faroole appointed those 4 members and they form a majority of the "Electoral Committee". Wax fahan.
:D

Puntland = Khatumo, and Khatumo = Puntland. Need I keep saying the same thing over and over and over. Will it ever sink.

So is Khatumo part of Puntland? Afterall its the Puntland elections. Warkaga cadee boowe.

Illyria   

Are you deliberately contradicting yourself, or arguing with and against yourself?

Carafaat;944814 wrote:
Faroole appointed those 4 members and they form a majority of the "Electoral Committee". Wax fahan.

Carafaat;944814 wrote:
Faroole appointed 5 of the 9 members of Puntland "Electoral Committee". The oppositions knows there wont be fair eledtions with such a partial Electoral Committee.

Carafaat   

The Electoral Committee consist of 9 members (atleast one resigned), Faroole appointed the majority of members(5) and the opposition object to 4 of those members. I suggest you read your own Puntland source and critisize Faroole for this "fair" process. Carafaat is not to blame for that. :D

Carafaat   

Ilyria, the right question you should be asking is why does Faroole appoint a majority of the Electoral Committee? And can you have fair elections when a majority of the Electoral Committee is appointed by Faroole?

The opposition clearly says no(your own source above)? What is your opinion on this matter?

Baashi   

It's not perfect. It won't be perfect. And certainly there will be issues, near-misses, discrepancies and mistakes in the process. This recovering area of Somalia is making a progress. Given the absence of institutional capacity to manage such a feat, Farole's decision to brave this difficult political transition at this juncture of Somalia should be commended. My hats off to the ambitious politicians who are challenging Farole.

As long as the contest is settled in the ballot box I'm all for it.It's all good.

Minjo dhooqo hadba mid baa la siibaa weeye sheekadu..

Samafal   

One little info. Abdiwali has already put his weight behind UDAD led by Said. I think he is from Qandala if I'm not mistaken. So Faroole's chances of winning in Bari and Mudug is very slim. He's betting on his main constituents in Nugaal districts and folks in Sool & Sanaag.

Illyria   

Carafaat,

The process has to begin somewhere, and it just so happens this is not a Somali-owned process, but one borrowed from other nations. In the US, the President appoints members (6) of the US Electoral commission whereas in the UK the Parliament appoints members. Did you ever wonder why there is the Electoral College in the US?

It is not perfect, but it has to begin somewhere. Of course you can criticise it till cows come home, but the criticism has to be realistic, consider existing conditions, constraints and circumstances, and make sense. If not, it is just conjecture.

Again, this is just an example, even tho' we cannot compare mature democracies and centuries-old independent institutions with Somalia's non-existing ones. And I am NOT discounting the democratic nature of the Somali culture.

Carafaat   

Ilyria, the Puntland Electoral Law and System looks exactly like that of Somaliland and not like that of the US. The biggest diffrence being that in Somaliland the Executive appoints 3 of the 7 members of the Electoral Committee the other 4 are appointed by Parliament and Guurti.

Anyonw who has followed the SL elections knows it were these independent members of the Electoral Commitee that have puched for a transparent process giving the opposition parties a fair chance. Which made it possible for the best man to win the elections.