Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Cost of renting a house/room in Mogadishu?

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;934245 wrote:
Safety in Mogadishu and Hargeisa is night and day. The latter, I was able to to lurk around town 3 am (walking), while in Xamar, I was scolded on the daily for returning past maghrib (driving)

Hmm. I'm just trying to gauge the level of normalcy and safety there these days before I decide to go (I was thinking about visiting sometime in 2014). Sounds like it's still too soon for what I'm comfortable with, though.

Wadani   

Safferz;934264 wrote:
Hmm. I'm just trying to gauge the level of normalcy and safety there these days before I decide to go (I was thinking about visiting sometime in 2014). Sounds like it's still too soon for what I'm comfortable with, though.

When u say there u mean moqadishu right?

Juxa   

Well in Mogadishu apart from one night I did not venture out. Being a woman also limits your movement. The one night I travelled through tarabuunka in a car that switched off its lights every 10 minutes hade yaasiinka boobsiis baad isku saari

The xaafaxo I went were relatively safe. No one cares qofkaad tahay.

As for hargeysa habeenkii baad guureyn. Very dumar-friendly and entertaining folks

yeah..... basically, i was saying that people shouldn't be speculating and stuff, inaar. just because you spent a summer holiday there, you can't really be talking like an expert, ya dig?

Taleexi   

There is real estate bubble in Mogadishu. Don't invest as of yet when security improves prices will go down.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;934286 wrote:
yeah..... basically, i was saying that people shouldn't be speculating and stuff, inaar. just because you spent a summer holiday there, you can't really be talking like an expert, ya dig?

That's true, but you can also observe a lot in a few weeks or months in a different place. I'll also go as far as saying people who live back home can sometimes have a distorted sense of safety and normalcy (because certain conditions/realities have become a new normal, in a way), which is why I'm interested in the perspectives of visitors. I have relatives in more unstable areas who will tell you everything is fine and urge you to visit, when it really isn't.

aero   

Thankfully my mother bought spaces, one of which is under construction. I wonder how much she'd rent those out for lol. I'm afraid to ask.

Wadani   

Safferz;934291 wrote:
That's true, but you can also observe a lot in a few weeks or months in a different place. I'll also go as far as saying people who live back home can sometimes have a distorted sense of safety and normalcy (because certain conditions/realities have become a new normal, in a way), which is why I'm interested in the perspectives of visitors. I have relatives in more unstable areas who will tell you everything is fine and urge you to visit, when it really isn't.

I wouldnt say their sense of safety and normalcy is distorted, because its perfectly calibrated with the conditions they find themselves in. They just have a different standard against which they judge safety/normalcy.

Safferz   

Wadani;934306 wrote:
I wouldnt say their sense of safety and normalcy is distorted, because its perfectly calibrated with the conditions they find themselves in. They just have a different standard against which they judge safety/normalcy.

Is there not a line we can draw for acceptably safe and unsafe conditions, rather than see it as relative? I agree with you that their sense of safety and normalcy is calibrated with their conditions, that's what I was getting at -- new ideas of "normal" and "safe" emerge in conflict and post-conflict contexts, when the reality may be that human security is still precarious.

Tallaabo   

Chimera;934179 wrote:
Huh? Why I would I need to visit the IDP camps when the Federal Government is already working on this situation as we speak? I am neither a millionaire, nor do I have the necessary real-estate connections to provide the IDPs with a home. What purpose would my visit there serve?
I'm already well aware of the grinding poverty, I wouldn't have to send a cut of my own money back every month if this wasn't the case.
I don't get this "be prepared for hell" sentiment some of you are projecting, as if I would go there thinking I'm in Monaco.

As a baby.

May God bless your heart and soul.