Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Cost of renting a house/room in Mogadishu?

Tallaabo   

SomaliPhilosopher;934245 wrote:
Safety in Mogadishu and Hargeisa is night and day. The latter, I was able to to lurk around town 3 am
(walking
), while in Xamar, I was scolded on the daily for returning past maghrib (driving)

Don't do that now. The blood and crips gangs have recently taken over the city.

Tallaabo   

Safferz;934311 wrote:
Is there not a line we can draw for acceptably safe and unsafe conditions, rather than see it as relative? I agree with you that their sense of safety and normalcy is calibrated with their conditions, that's what I was getting at -- new ideas of "normal" and "safe" emerge in conflict and post-conflict contexts, when the reality may be that human security is still precarious.

A crude measurement can be made of safety. For instance, it could be measured by the number of killings, injuries, robberies, etc in a ten kilometer radius of an area per month. I would love to see Xamar, Baraawe, Merka Beledwayne, Kismaayo, and Boosaaso one day insha Allah.

Wadani   

Safferz;934311 wrote:
Is there not a line we can draw for acceptably safe and unsafe conditions, rather than see it as relative? I agree with you that their sense of safety and normalcy is calibrated with their conditions, that's what I was getting at -- new ideas of "normal" and "safe" emerge in conflict and post-conflict contexts, when the reality may be that human security is still precarious.

Since social and economic conditions vary widely through out the world we should adjust the analytic lens we use to fit local context when dissecting disparate peoples perceptions of safety/danger, rich/poor etc. Socio-economic appraisals of this kind are inherently relative and it's very difficult, if not impossible, to draw a line that would represent an objective assessment that the vast majority of the world population could agree on. Such a feat would assume identical points of references (thus identical histories and development trajectories) when societies conjure up unsafe and unstable conditions. So whatever line we attempt to draw will be nothing more than a Western, postmodern, postwar (at least on our shores) criterion that has no place in the developing, conflict prone and often times preindustrial world, unless our experiences are somehow more 'real' and thus more valid as measures.

Safferz   

Wadani;934460 wrote:
Since social and economic conditions vary widely through out the world we should adjust the analytic lens we use to fit local context when dissecting disparate peoples perceptions of safety/danger, rich/poor etc. Socio-economic appraisals of this kind are inherently relative and it's very difficult, if not impossible, to draw a line that would represent an objective assessment that the vast majority of the world population could agree on. Such a feat would assume identical points of references (thus identical histories and development trajectories) when societies conjure up unsafe and unstable conditions. So whatever line we attempt to draw will be nothing more than a Western, postmodern, postwar (at least on our shores) criterion that has no place in the developing, conflict prone and often times preindustrial world, unless our experiences are somehow more 'real' and thus more valid as measures.

You removed the line about not being a relativist :P

Chimera   

Aaliyyah;934525 wrote:
Chimera, enjoy your trip back home and keep us updated.

Its not 100% certain, but thanks Aaliyah!

Wadani   

Safferz;934537 wrote:
You removed the line about not being a relativist
:P

lool, didn't think it was relevent. But yes, I despise moral relativity and it's proponents.

Apophis;934558 wrote:
I wonder what is the cost of an AK - 47 and if it still can be bought in the arms bazaar in Bakara market.

Last time i was in cirtoogte in 2006 its costed $ 600.

Chimera   

Haatu;934236 wrote:
Someone should set up a production company and make a drama on the lives of Cilmi Boodhari and Caraweelo one day. I'd much rather watch that than dreary Eastenders.

Is there a market for that? One can hire the actors, buy the cameras and kodak film in bulk, order the dresses and costumes, import historic cars and start shooting the film, but will there be a return for the initial investment? I recently learned why we lack a robust entertainment industry; the interest and support is simply not there. Its why all of the successful Somalis are all either targeting the non-Somali market, or rose from a non-Somali platform.

A real pity.

Chimera   

MOGADISHU

Hotel%20Sahafi1.jpg

Hotel Sahafi - £13 a day x 3 months (91 days) = £1183.

HARGEISA

maansoor21.jpg

Hotel Maansoor - £20 a day x 1 month (30 days) = £600

GAROWE

New-Hotel-in-Garowe.jpg

Hotel Garowe - £15/20 a day x 1 month = £450/600.

That's roughly £2500 spend on accomodation for a 5 months period, and this figure doesn't factor in the brief stays in Bosaso, Berbera, Merka and other gems. The plane-ticket costs around £800 in the September-October period with Turkish Airlines but above £1000 during the summer period.The hiring of a car; employing a guide to visit historic places, construction sites and entrepreneurs/officials; buying sealed and canned food from the supermarkets; signing up with local gyms, and eating out would amount to another £1000.

Total: £4500 - £5500.

Security in some areas warrants more costs, I wonder how the situation will be in Merka and Kismayu come Oct/Nov. Also, how reliable are the old maps of Mogadishu superimposed on the city of today? The grid-system is pretty much still in place right?

Chimera;936183 wrote:
MOGADISHU

Hotel%20Sahafi1.jpg

x 3 months (91 days) = £1183.

HARGEISA

maansoor21.jpg

x 1 month (30 days) = £600

GAROWE

New-Hotel-in-Garowe.jpg

x 1 month = £450/600.

That's roughly £2500 spend on accomodation for a 5 months period, and this figure doesn't factor in the brief stays in Bosaso, Berbera, Merka and other gems. The plane-ticket costs around £800 in the September-October period with Turkish Airlines but above £1000 during the summer period.The hiring of a car; employing a guide to visit historic places, construction sites and entrepreneurs/officials; buying sealed and canned food from the supermarkets; signing up with local gyms, and eating out would amount to another £1000.

Total: £4500 - £5500.

Security in some areas warrants more costs, I wonder how the situation will be in Merka and Kismayu come Oct/Nov. Also, how reliable are the old maps of Mogadishu superimposed on the city of today? The grid-system is pretty much still in place right?

Hotel Sahafi is not £13 a day. It is at least 50 bucks a night. if the other prices are from the same source, i doubt the credibility of those

Chimera   

I'm good at negotiating prices, and the owners are stand up-brothers, they're not going to exploit their young brother, especially one that could be of use to them from a marketing perspective one day.

Its all about favors. :D

good luck, i believe the owners are from your neck of the woods, london. though i wouldnt bank on it. these hotels are in high demand-- rooms are scarce. favors are scarce in times of scarcity