Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Cost of renting a house/room in Mogadishu?

Chimera, Imperial hotel is ok and right in the centre, not more than $20 in Hargeysa; of course, I'll be happy to host you if there but you can find host families too, eg old diaspora couple, offering board and room if not car etc for reasonnable prices.

In any case, cheaper renting/ part-time maid should be another option (can arrange that) but I doubt you'll lack an old aunt or acquaintance glad to invite you and brief you about ins and outs (plus, they somehow love diaspora).

I find it hard to expect tourist expenses when I'm at home as if exploring guyana or la reunion island (even then, options and acquaintances do exist).

Really like your patrotic optimism though, PM or update please if and when there :)

Chimera   

Abu-Salman, that's very kind of you, if things do go as planned, then I'll hit you up with a PM. I don't want or need maids though, what man can't cook his own food, or use a washing machine? A little boy, I guess. It's also one step removed from the path of madness that Alpha is currently walking on.

Juxa   

Warheedhe markaad diyaar tahay noo sheeg! you cant enjoy the real experience by staying hotels and spending £6k on it whilst that money could be spend elsewhere wisely.

Tallaabo   

Chimera;936595 wrote:
Abu-Salman, that's very kind of you, if things do go as planned, then I'll hit you up with a PM. I don't want or need maids though, what man can't cook his own food, or
use a washing machine
? A little boy, I guess. It's also one step removed from the path of madness that Alpha is currently walking on.

:rolleyes: Alla war la' aan baa kuhaysa saaxiin. Waar you leave behind those luxuries in London.

Chimera   

I'll import one if I have to, what's the point of living in the west if you don't bring any of the positives back to your ancestral country? I think that's one of the good things about the returning diaspora, they are introducing improved sanitation, new lifestyles and more efficient technology.

@Juxa, but there is a certain freedom that comes with that. Any time someone hosts me, I end up with babysitters.

Wash-machines may well already be in Hargeysa but those power hungry gadgets are wasteful and I agree that female maids are not for men, plus one can dispense with it (always good to live like locals for more realism).

Juxa is right and you can easily manage with 10 time less than budgeted; that sum was enough for a small import-export or lucrative beekeeping (I could put those $8000 to good use for you).

One needs to be ruthlessly frugal in business as old somalis amigo :D

Tallaabo   

Abu-Salman;936772 wrote:
Wash-machines may well already be in Hargeysa but those power hungry gadgets are wasteful and I agree that female maids are not for men, plus one can dispense with it (always good to live like locals for more realism).

Juxa is right and you can easily manage with 10 time less than budgeted; that sum was enough for a small import-export or lucrative beekeeping (I could put those $8000 to good use for you).

One needs to be ruthlessly frugal in business as old somalis amigo
:D

Yes Hargeisa department stores sell everything under the sun. I was surprised to see all sorts of exercise machines like the treadmills lol but they are not in every house. Yes more and more people are buying them but these gadgets are still too expensive for most of the locals.

Chimera;936183 wrote:
MOGADISHU

Hotel%20Sahafi1.jpg

x 3 months (91 days) = £1183

Hoteel Saxaafi saas uma raqiisano. It is bit more expensive. The cheapest hotels/lodges in Xamar with security guards and at secure locations are from $20-25 per night. The one I stayed at earlier this year costed $20 per night. It was located in a prime, secure area, on jidka Maka Almakurama, across from Guriga Shaqaalaha and close to Tareebiyaano.

I would like to give you a little advice: Since you practically don't remember anything from Soomaaliya, particularly Xamar, don't have high expectations. Keep your expectations pretty much low, low and low. Don't expect people will have similar views as you do. Their every day views and actions will shock you, especially someone who doesn't remember anything from Soomaaliya. Some of their actions is so un-Soomaali-like and far from anything close to Soomaalinimo. It is classic me, mine and my traits, with anything else waxba igama galin. It is result and psychological side effects of more than two decades of dagaal sokeeye.

Another thing is Xamar is pretty much hot these days, although the rainy season did finally start. Janaayo-Febraayo-Maarso is no go months, otherwise it is scorching. It never used to be like this, but environmental degradation took its toll finally, I guess. Xamar's hotels never needed any air conditions in the rooms, but today, it is a must have.

Yes Hargeisa department stores sell everything under the sun. I was surprised to see all sorts of exercise machines like the treadmills lol but they are not in every house. Yes more and more people are buying them but these gadgets are still too expensive for most of the locals.

True Tallabo, we had in the 2000s an exercise bike brought from Hargeysa, the power cost is too much though even if gadgets are cheaper lately.

The great advantage Hargeysa have is that power bills are much lower than in Jabuuti ect without need for ACs, mind you we managed just fine in the 90s summer trips (92, 93, 96, 97) without electricity and 92/93 totally without running water despite the prime locations.

The lesson was you could do with very little and adapt quickly, yet have the happiest moments ever.

Chimera, the feeling is mutual bro; MMA is right though that cynicism is the core problem back home with all the wars and struggles.

Chimera;936767 wrote:
I'll import one if I have to, what's the point of living in the west if you don't bring any of the positives back to your ancestral country? I think that's one of the good things about the returning diaspora, they are introducing improved sanitation, new lifestyles and more efficient technology.

What water supply would the washing machine be connected to? :D

Safferz   

OdaySomali;936813 wrote:
What water supply would the washing machine be connected to?
:D

I've seen plenty of washing machines in Hargeisa homes, but they were almost never used because of the electricity costs. It's just much more efficient to hand wash clothing (or hire someone to do it).

Chimera   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;936786 wrote:
Hoteel Saxaafi saas uma raqiisano. It is bit more expensive. The cheapest hotels/lodges in Xamar with security guards and at secure locations are from $20-25 per night. The one I stayed at earlier this year costed $20 per night. It was located in a prime, secure area, on jidka Maka Almakurama, across from Guriga Shaqaalaha and close to Tareebiyaano.

I would like to give you a little advice: Since you practically don't remember anything from Soomaaliya, particularly Xamar, don't have high expectations. Keep your expectations pretty much low, low and low. Don't expect people will have similar views as you do. Their every day views and actions will shock you, especially someone who doesn't remember anything from Soomaaliya. Some of their actions is so un-Soomaali-like and far from anything close to Soomaalinimo. It is classic me, mine and my traits, with anything else waxba igama galin. It is result and psychological side effects of more than two decades of dagaal sokeeye.

Another thing is Xamar is pretty much hot these days, although the rainy season did finally start. Janaayo-Febraayo-Maarso is no go months, otherwise it is scorching. It never used to be like this, but environmental degradation took its toll finally, I guess. Xamar's hotels never needed any air conditions in the rooms, but today, it is a must have.

Thanks for that MMA, appreciate the honesty! I'm going to be more observant than talkative anyways. I'm not some kind of hipster with a tv-crew reconnecting with the motherland, nor am I going anywhere near those fadhi-ku-dirir cafes, I don't even do that now in the west. I do want to see Benadir Hospital though and I think that place is going to depress me badly, but I still have to see it for a potential future project.