Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Somaliland tells Somalia to lay off Mohamed Ali Samatar Impunity attempt or risk worsening relations

The reason Mr Samatar was denied diplomatic immunity was not on the merits of the case against him but that there was no legitimate Somali government. Now that there is such a government recognized by the Americans themselves no less, this case has no leg to stand on. Its as simple as that. move on people. If there is an interest in "justice" or reconciliation for civil war era grievance, it must be done in Somalia. considering the magnitude of what happened, am not really sure retribution is the right course of action, i think the south african example is a much better option. either way, it must be a Somali wide effort and should be done in Somali soil. Chasing each other around the globe in foreign courts is un becoming.

Saalax   

Mintid Farayar;923621 wrote:
A lot of empty emotion here from certain corners....

General Samater was found guilty in a Civil Case in the U.S. under its mature legal system. Expecting this day for decades, the General cleverly transferred all his assets to his children and close relatives so no assets under his name would be penalized by the 'obvious' court decision (whenever that day came). His assets are periodically monitored by the legal team of the wronged parties forcing the General to live a lifestyle beneath what he was previously used to.

This is only the latest chapter in Somalilanders' quest to get legal amends for crimes committed against the majority population in Somaliland during the Barre era. In the '90s, due to legal actions by Somalilanders, Canada decreed that no Somali military official with the rank of Colonel or higher could seek asylum there. This forced many war criminals enjoying the Canadian high life to immediately vacate the country.

Samater has been found guilty and then proceeded to admit to the charges under the reasoning that he was only performing his job during the massacres. The request by the Mogadishu Gov't remains just that currently - just a request. It hasn't been approved or even considered by the U.S. Justice system.

As for Morgan, he lives in Kenya and we all know how that legal system(just like many other African legal systems) works. Whoever pays the most wins the case. So comparing a case against him to a case against another in an advanced Western democracy is simply delusional.

A whole lot of empty emotion on these boards changes nothing on the ground. It's relatively easy to prove these cases in the West given the abundance of de-classified information available from Western embassies concerning the atrocities committed by the previous military gov't (Barre regime).

If some have proof of crimes committed by Somaliland officials/citizens against others in the Somali family, the Western courts are wide open. And I don't think those same courts are manned by either of our clans
;)
So that road is wide open.

The legal battle continues...

P.S. As for Samater, while we're unable to bring him to justice in Somaliland, we hope to keep him destitute and living at the margins of society for the rest of his remaining days here on Earth.

+ 1.

Somalia;923617 wrote:
It's not the same.

1. It's selective justice. You are not putting people on trial who are in your own 'country', yet you want others to stand trial. In Somaliland, you've given asylum to members of the Kacaan while wanting to prosecute others, I find this very troubling.

2. He is a frail and truly powerless man.

3. Because the only one who seem to target is from a minority clan, it makes it even worse because you don't target other members such as General Morgan who is living in Kenya, why is that? Mr Morgan was head of operations, he carried out many of the tasks!

As the offspring of true kacaandiids who shed a lot of blood against the vermin, I believe we must move on but not forget the 'Somali Democratic Republic'.

He is powerless so he should be excused he is old so he should be excused??? we are talking about the former vice president of Somalia the former Defense Minister of Somalia, he is above general moorgan and all the other colonels generals , he was the one second in command after general siyaad bare. But this is not about Somaliland lets stick to general samatar shall we, i am not putting any one on trial bashe yusuf did colonel tuke to and some other general from ohio, were they minority to , do you think there should be special rules for minority tribes? Can they get away with crimes against humanity. Let there be justice for all people if any one wants to put to trial Somaliland generals colonels politicians so be it, but lets not excuse war criminals because they belong to a small tribe.

NGONGE   

The SL government should have stayed out of this. A private individual brought the case against Samatar and SL would only be muddying the water by getting involved in civil cases. Let Hassan Sheikh and Fowziya embarrass themsleves all on their own without SL making an issue of it or giving them a way out.

gooni   

Dadkii ka dhintay nimankaan dacwada oogay allaha u naxariisto dawlad isku dhafan baa amar la siiyay laga yabee dadkii laayay inay hargaysa joogaan ayagoo dawladii kacaanka u shaqaynayay,cali samatar xaq buu u leeyahay in dawlad kastoo dhalato difaacdo waayo waa halyeey qaran waxaana u fiican inay soo af jaraan oo xataa dhaqan soomaali mag dhow weydiistaan tolkiisa

NGONGE;923740 wrote:
The SL government should have stayed out of this. A private individual brought the case against Samatar and SL would only be muddying the water by getting involved in civil cases. Let Hassan Sheikh and Fowziya embarrass themsleves all on their own without SL making an issue of it or giving them a way out.

There are several things you've misread re:the issue & situation (at least in my humble opinion).

First, the Mogadishu gov't is a coalition of interest groups. The request was signed and forwarded from the Prime Minister's office. I have a feeling that both the Offices of the Presidency and Foreign Ministry were completely unaware of this action and are in damage control mode with Somaliland negotiating partners.

Secondly, as the American adage says: 'All politics is local.'; The Somaliland government had to react in order to shore up its base at home against nationalist attacks from the opposition. The fact that the official statement(from the SL side) was given by a relatively unknown deputy Minister keeps the protest low-key enough to avoid upsetting the growing relationship/negotiations with the Mogadishu team.

I have a feeling a lot of calls are taking place between the two Presidencies(their offices) to contain the fallout from their respective constituencies.

As for the case itself, it's under a different system and will ultimately be determined in the U.S. judicial system.

Disclaimer: I must admit I had a small role to play in the immediate dissemination of this story back in Somaliland. I'm a firm believer that the room for maneuver for any SL administration when it comes to negotiating with the South must be quite limited.

Tallaabo   

The Koonfur PM is himself a blood thirsty war criminal I am told. I don't understand why the Gedo folks are contributing only known fugitives to the Koonfur government and not supporting the good people among them.

Taleexi   

Xaaji Xunjuf;923490 wrote:
Salax this is just good , we just know how the goverment in Mogadishu really thinks about the war, its just good it just opens the minds of many good on the SL government.

+1

Tallaabo   

Che -Guevara;924356 wrote:
I am told you are necrophile.

You too got something to hide?? Come clean cafis baa laguu fidinee.

Tallaabo   

^ What do you expect from a letter written by someone who is where he is now solely on the basis of the rampant nepotism practised by his late uncle?

NGONGE   

^^ I was hinting that the letter might have been fake, saaxib. why would the Somali PM publicise a letter such as this one?