Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Raising kids on the cheap!

chubacka   

A great blog by a lady whose new year resolution is to cut of kiddie consumerism and basically spend nothing on her 2 year old son for the whole year. No toys, clothes/shoes, kiddie specific foods, hair cuts, nappies! haha.

http://www.freeourkids.co.uk/sample-page/

For those of you guys with kids, how hard do you feel the pressure to buy into the vast market? What sorts of things would you fork out money for, for the little darlings and what do you think is a big waste of money? One thing I don't understand is buying kids designer clothes at an early age, what's the point, they will just get it dirty and then grow out of them very quickly.

raula   

Great blog & thx for bringing this forth.

For our family..we've..done/taken/practice

-hand-me downs

-no birthday gifts/celebrations..(doesn't mean we don't recognize it or we don't ever give gifts..we do..but not necessarily during B-days/EIDS..)

-infant meals prep'd fresh (no ready-made)

-electronics..(not at this time..)

-toys (we don't buy them toy guns/trucks etc..infact many of them are hand me downs...)

-Cloths-buy them cheap/on-sale...they could be designer(especially winter gear)

****PS: i have few cadaan friends (who have promising/lucrative career in the medical field..)laakin wax ka cheap-san ma arkin..they've taught me a lesson & i have become frugal but still fashionable/proper :D

the thing we spend (while still being frugal) money on are trips/travel.

Aaliyyah   

Good blog and Raula good points. If I do get kids I would want to establish gift giving on Eids but other than that I am on the same page. Waxa wanaagsan umada carahabadan ee baahan ee dhulki hooyo joogta in wax la taro.

chubacka   

Your welcome @ Raula and Aaliyah,hope you find it useful. I can imagine what with the number of adverts on TV during kiddie shows to the number of products that are covered with kids' favourite characters in the supermarket it can feel like a constant onslaught to buy "stuff"

Like this lady it must be easier to start when they are very young.

STOIC   

Can't count how many times I tripped on those damn toys.I think Target baby depot got all my money! If it was upto me the little rascal will be without any of the fashionable fancy Fisher-price toys.Niggger be playing in the sand butt naked if it was upto me....

chubacka   

^ hehe@ Stoic, don't let Ibti catch you calling your son "nigger" haha. But on a serious note, I bet very few of these shiny toys bring any real enjoyment to little ones.

Malika   

We didnt do, big B-days, but Eid was always a special day - clothes/outings and big meals at home, a continued tradition. I too did and do trips more than buying gadgets - zoo's, museums, plays, travel abroad etc...I always wanted her to see much of the world ...Okay, I am a big spender when it comes to my child - she got to look good, be comfortable ..saying that we do 'second hand' clothing and items. We tend to go to secondhand shops in posh neighborhoods, where you could find quality items for an affordable prices..

Haatu   

Apophis;920636 wrote:
Isn't cheaper just to place them in front of the TV and have constant supply of juice or other high sugar,low nutrient, foods supplied to them hourly??

Usheeg all these posh people. Those were the days wallahi, spending the whole weekend watching dragonball or playing playstation :D

Blessed   

That's an interesting website, Chuba thanks. I don't feel pressured at all and I don't let my girls watch any channel that would advertise to kids, ethics aside, their programmes are usually of low quality content, anyway. I actually didn't buy the girls any toys this year because 95% of the stuff on the market are overrated and useless and thankfully my princesses agree. It's better to encourage kids to play with real things and make something of nothing (i.e junk modeling), play together - my girls can go all day playing drs, teachers, etc. and we also have a wii (bought 2 years ago) that comes out in the w/end and school holidays. They also get treats / day out, trips on special occasions. I think that I spend a bit too much on books which I probably need to work on. Clothes: we buy what they need, it was hard for me at first because little girls clothes are so cute but they outgrow them before they even get a chance to wear them and I've also learned that quality peices (not neccesarily expensive) go a long way. As for ready meals, that's typical cadaan people stuff, no? :D I think, I will give the kiddie or *packed lunch* snacks a miss as well. Our biggest expense in the desert is the schools / nursery fees, Allah, it hurts but Inshaallah it will be worth it.

Rahima   

Chubacka thanks for sharing- interesting read.

Blessed,

You're right- quality does not always mean pricey but in most cases it does. I recently bought shoes for my children and despite the small size of their feet, their shoes were essentially the same price as adult shoes. The other thing is that clothes made of quality fabrics such as pure cotton, pure wool, linen etc always cost more so despite wanting to save you find yourself spending more because you're looking for quality.

The other thing i find which is problematic is that because you don't want your children to be left out, you find yourself feeling the pressure that way and buying items you wouldn't otherwise buy.

Blessed   

^True, but the cost is always worth it as shoes, clothes are more comfortable for the child and last longer – it sorts of balances out in the end.

raula   

@Apo & Haatu..now look @ how you both turned out :D bila edeb :D I kid !

@ Stoic hehehe....you remind me of (I haven't watched the movie but the snipets of it=I think its called "this is 40")..where the mother tells the girls to go outside & play w/ sticks & nature...loooooool..their reaction is just precious...lol kids nowdays...

Just like my son the other day said ..."mom, you gotta think w/your brain "..(i was pretending that i don't know what he's talking about )loool..

I concur w/all..at first its easy to get carried away..but slowly we get the hang of it. Nowadays, our fav places are museums, theaters (kids), music scenes, parks, & most fav..the public library loooooool (we find all the free stuff we can).. hell even we go for hay rides (only in USA), farm visits etc. But they also travel out of state/country whenever we can.

Haatu   

NGONGE;922133 wrote:
Chuba, don't listen to this woman. When you have yours, spoil them rotten.
:D

Heh kids nowadays are so spoiled (Yes as of a couple of months ago I'm qualified to term others as kids :D)

I only received a handshake from the old man when I got my GCSE results :D