Sign in to follow this  
QansaxMeygaag

Somalinimo

Xaaji Xunjuf;909421 wrote:
To speak Somali to have a Islamic heritage to have Xeer Somali cultural folklore dances , my sort of Somali dish is nice hilib geel poetry songs

heritage.png

264888_153014031436330_8040637_n.jpg

Lol, the guy on the right looks like Daleeys in this video:

somalee   

I think Somalinimo is different from wadaninimo, the latter refers to patriotism. Somalinimo in my opinion is something that transcends borders. It's that connection you feel towards all Somalis irrespective of their country of origin. Its the automatic urge to get up and say hi to the random Somali whom you see in a train in a place where you least expected to see one.

Apophis;909508 wrote:
A Somali is identified through the Somali language, everything else is transient and changing but anyway, why does one feel the need to pinpoint what is a Somali if not to exclude the non-Somali? It's 18th century thinking.

Like the lose Arab identity ?

somalee;909509 wrote:
I think Somalinimo is different from wadaninimo, the latter refers to patriotism. Somalinimo in my opinion is something that transcends borders. It's that connection you feel towards all Somalis irrespective of their country of origin.
Its the automatic urge to get up and say hi to the random Somali whom you see in a train in a place where you least expected to see one.

Please don't, it gets annoying after a while.

Haatu   

Somalinimo is the cultural, linguistic and ethnic connection with all other ethnic Somalis or groups now considered to be Somali. Somali wadannimo comes in two forms, the one that is exclusive to the Somali Republic and love for this land which is virtually non-existent today or on life support, and the one that Somalis of all areas aspire/used to aspire to: Somaliweyn. Somalinimo and Wadannimo co-exist in Somaliweyn. So basically, Somalinimo is cultural whereas wadannimo is political. Put the two together and you get Somaliweyn. Simple.

somalee;909509 wrote:
I think Somalinimo is different from wadaninimo, the latter refers to patriotism. Somalinimo in my opinion is something that transcends borders. It's that connection you feel towards all Somalis irrespective of their country of origin. Its the automatic urge to get up and say hi to the random Somali whom you see in a train in a place where you least expected to see one.

+5.

Apophis;909508 wrote:
A Somali is identified through the Somali language, everything else is transient and changing but anyway, why does one feel the need to pinpoint what is a Somali if not to exclude the non-Somali? It's 18th century thinking.

Language is only enough unless you accept the cultural baggage that comes with it as well. If you look at the Arabs, they share a common language and to some degree culture, from the blue-eyed, blonde-haired Lebanese Maronite Christian to the blue-black "Arab" in Sudan.

I seriously doubt Somalis will accept another as Somali because you speak the Somali language. Just look at the Somali Bantu in Somalia itself. Are you seriously telling me that if the Kikuyu of Kenya started speaking Somali for whatever reason they will BE Somali?

Come on....

Arab is a lose identity with the Muslim conquest in the 7th many many non Arabs were Arabised from Syria to Egypt to Morocco all the way to Sudan and Lebanon.Also many Jewish tribes the Banu Nadir tribes of yatrib and tons of others in Yemen like the Banu Qudas. were Arabised and not to forget the Muwalads in Sudan and Egypt. I don't think the Somali identity can be really compared to the Arab identity. It has a cultural and traditional commotion because what is the Somali cultural really?

We should ask our selves is there Something Somalis actually agree on, i can think only religion excluding the few Christians and atheists. All the other things Somalis don't agree on. Like every one talks about Somalinimo but we don't have a clear definition what Somalinimo is yet every one talks about it? For Some it means a country or the unity of the Somali inhabited areas in the Horn for others its just about social interaction of Somalis in a positive way

Xaaji Xunjuf;910230 wrote:
We should ask our selves is there Something Somalis actually agree on, i can think only religion excluding the few Christians and atheists. All the other things Somalis don't agree on. Like every one talks about Somalinimo but we don't have a clear definition what Somalinimo is yet every one talks about it? For Some it means a country or the unity of the Somali inhabited areas in the Horn for others its just about social interaction of Somalis in a positive way

This is precisely why I asked the question in the first place: what does Somalinimo mean?

somalee   

Xaaji Xunjuf;910230 wrote:
We should ask our selves is there
Something Somalis actually agree on, i can think only religion excluding the few Christians and atheists.
All the other things Somalis don't agree on. Like every one talks about Somalinimo but we don't have a clear definition what Somalinimo is yet every one talks about it? For Some it means a country or the unity of the Somali inhabited areas in the Horn for others its just about social interaction of Somalis in a positive way

They don't even agree on that. The past two decades has seen the emergence of many different ideologies. Somalis have abandoned their traditional, moderate Sufism and have adopted ideologies that are alien to that part of the world. Salaf jadiid, salaf qadiim, Takfiri, wahhabism, Al-islaax, Al-wuxdah and the more recent Dam-al-jadid :D

There is no such thing as moderate Islam or fundamental Islam there is only one islam Quran hadith the Sunnah and siratanabawi. These terminologies are used by the west to categorize Muslims and Islam.

Back to Somalinimo, i think its about the strong bond and also about caring about a Somali person regardless of his nationality. To identify you're self as a Somali feeling the kinship and strong relations between the Somali people is what Somalinimo is.

Its strange though any one can be a Somali as long as he speaks Somali and is Muslim, there is no such thing that limits people of not becoming a Somali. So we have to understand term Somali is a broad identity , to some it means a nationality to some it means a lose ethnicity to some it means a language. So before we talk about Somalinimo do we even understand what Somali means.