Sign in to follow this  
QansaxMeygaag

Somalinimo

That's a good question, especially for those in the diaspora. Besides crashing weddings and exchanging awkward glances in public, what ties us together?

Jacpher   

I didn't read the piece but I think Somalinimo ain't as significant to me as wadaninimo. We need a strong wadaniyad to see Somalinimo.

I can say we lack wadaninimo, for the most part.

Jacpher;909247 wrote:
I didn't read the piece but I think Somalinimo ain't as significant to me as wadaninimo. We need a strong wadaniyad to see Somalinimo.

I can say we lack wadaninimo, for the most part.

Which country wadanimo is about nationalism

daam.jpg

0143551350085.jpg

735147_467629043298886_477281703_n.jpg

d09a6b06e0f71000865d4d52eda7037f69367f5b

Wadani;909246 wrote:
U lack the most important tie.

Not really. There are plenty of irreligous Somalis around. I can count 5 amongst my first cousins alone. Also, we're not an ethno-religous group so that can't be it, unless Oromo Muslims are considered to be our kin.

Wadani;909265 wrote:
Irreligious as in believers who do not practise, or as in non-believers?

They consider themselves to be 'cultural-Muslims'. They'll attend family functions such as weddings and eid celebrations (as do I). I wonder if it's a genetic thing as it's all on my father's side of tree, which is where I can also find the the not-too-distant Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Wadani;909271 wrote:
I undersand that to mean they r non-believers in the Quran, hadith etc, right?

Pretty much. Although they choose to not tell others about their disbelief, they've said things in my presence that they wouldn't say in front of Muslims.

Wadani   

Can't say im surprised. I know there are penty of nonbelievers within the somali community who choose to continue living as 'Muslims' just to avoid the inevitable consequences of coming out with their gaalnimo.

Too bad for them though, cuz their living a lie in this world, and will have no share in the afterlife.

I just finished reading the article the guy went on and on about foreign interference's which might be the case , but the notion of Somalinimo and how he applies it as a solution is far from the truth. The author describes Imam Ahmed Ibrahim Al ghazi struggle as one the Somalis were defending Somalinimo against the Ethiopian, which is not true. Imam Ahmed and the conquest of the Abyssinians was strictly an Islamic Jihaad had little to do with Somalinimo.juqatiluna fi sabililaah. The Imam was not fighting for Somali galbeed at that time the Somalis haven't even fully moved in those area's. Allthough the vast majority of the Imams army were Somalis, but there were also afar Muslims Muslim Shewians Arabs hararians Gurage Muslims and even Turks. There was never a Political Somalism struggle or a Somali empire it was mere a experiment in the early 60s and mid 70s. Somalinimo if you ask me has little to do with Politics more with culture and traditions songs poetry. So people need to really redefine what they mean when they say Somalinimo.

Wadani   

Xaaji ur right, Soomaalinimo need not be intertwined with politics. I feel the same brotherhood with Somalis from all the 5 somali inhabited regions of the horn, despite the differnces in politcs and borders.

Thats y i never understood y a lot of somalis like to call Somalilanders 'soomaalidiid's', as if our politcal divorce with Somalia removes our ethnicity and soomaali heritage.