Sign in to follow this  
QansaxMeygaag

Somalinimo

Xaaji Xunjuf;909277 wrote:
I just finished reading the article the guy went on and on about foreign interference's which might be the case , but the notion of Somalinimo and how he applies it as a solution is far from the truth. The author describes Imam Ahmed Ibrahim Al ghazi struggle as one the Somalis were defending Somalinimo against the Ethiopian, which is not true. Imam Ahmed and the conquest of the Abyssinians was strictly an Islamic Jihaad had little to do with Somalinimo.juqatiluna fi sabililaah. The Imam was not fighting for Somali galbeed at that time the Somalis haven't even fully moved in those area's. Allthough the vast majority of the Imams army were Somalis, but there were also afar Muslims Muslim Shewians Arabs hararians Gurage Muslims and even Turks. There was never a Political Somalism struggle or a Somali empire it was mere a experiment in the early 60s and mid 70s. Somalinimo if you ask me has little to do with Politics more with culture and traditions songs poetry. So people need to really redefine what they mean when they say Somalinimo.

I think Somalis may have been on the cusp of unification when the Europeans arrived. There seemed to be an expansion in the size and number of sultanates and self proclaimed kingdoms in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The Maguartania sultanate one in Bosaaso Boqr Cismaan and Sultan Cali Yusuf in Hobyo in the late 19 century after they had a quarrel the ambitious Cali Yusuf went out to establish his own sultanate in Hobyo. After the demise of the Ajuraan Empire the south was pretty much ruled by different tribes after the 17 century the BiyoMaal Kingdom was established and the Imams of beesha Unuka. In Somaliland Sultan diiriye end 18 century was chosen as the King of Burco and Beyond all the way to Sanaag. After political dispute between him and Sultan Guleed the king of much of Somaliland at that time.Sultan diiriye was rebellious to the King in Hargeysa and refused to pay tax. Also the Maakhir sultanate was based in laasqoray as an old sultanate in much of eastern and south eastern Sanaag one of the oldest in Somaliland. And in the begin 19 century a Brilliant merchant by the name of Sharmarke ali saleh baashe conquered seylac and ousted Sayid Muhammad al baari the last Arab ruler of Seylac he also established his admin in berbera making a deal with the berbera Mullahs. His son later continued his Sultanate than the British came and the rest we know the same in Somalia the Italians came. in Jigjiga we had the galla madow defeater his name was garaad wiilwaal the man who in the early 1800s removed the galla madows from Jigjiga and surrounding areas and crowned him as the first garaad of Jigjiga. And 20 years after his death the region was occupied by the Abyssinian King Menelik the second. His followers fought but they were no match for Menelik equipped with British and Russian riffles.

Jacpher;909247 wrote:
I didn't read the piece but I think Somalinimo ain't as significant to me as wadaninimo. We need a strong wadaniyad to see Somalinimo.

I can say we lack wadaninimo, for the most part.

I hear you but in the case of Somalis, ethnic/cultural nationalism and nationalism/wadaninimo are very close since the Somali peninsula is mostly inhabited by Somalis. I am not discounting non-ethnic groups that may or may not identify themselves as Somali by centuries of acculturation, but it is a simple fact of demographics that ethnic Somalis make up most of the numbers. As such, ethnic nationalism could easily be the nucleus for wadaninimo, although there is the danger of it being viewed as exclusivist from the beginning....But then what does wadaninimo mean in the context of Somalia, what holds the maay speakers, the Bantu, Banaadiri, Somali and others together?

What is that magic glue?

Xaaji Xunjuf;909181 wrote:
Somalinimo means for me to give a Somali lady with lots grocery a lift

In strategic management, it is important to define what something is and equally important to define what something IS NOT. Giving a Somali lady with groceries a lift would be considered basic humanity, no?

Blackflash;909274 wrote:
Pretty much. Although they choose to not tell others about their disbelief, they've said things in my presence that they wouldn't say in front of Muslims.

There is a difference between faasiq (sinner, which many of us are - let the non-sinners throw the first stone) and outright disbelief ala Ayaan Hirsi Ali (Magan). Sad that her father was part of the first Somali National language Commission....

Blackflash;909261 wrote:
Not really. There are plenty of irreligous Somalis around. I can count 5 amongst my first cousins alone. Also, we're not an ethno-religous group so that can't be it, unless Oromo Muslims are considered to be our kin.

You raise a very important point here: does Somalinimo subsume Muslim religious observance? Of course there are Somali Christians, atheists and agnostics - would they be considered to exhibit the values of Somalinimo, whatever those values are or would they be considered outside the fold?

Wadani;909276 wrote:
Can't say im surprised. I know there are penty of nonbelievers within the somali community who choose to continue living as 'Muslims' just to avoid the inevitable consequences of coming out with their gaalnimo.

Too bad for them though, cuz their living a lie in this world, and will have no share in the afterlife.

So for you Somalinimo, in a mathematical equation, is a function of Islam among other variables? Which other variables are there? Chivalry? Hospitality to guests?

In Cag-dheer areas, giving your newly wed wife a thorough beating would be considered part of ragganimo and somalinimo...

Xaaji Xunjuf;909277 wrote:
I just finished reading the article the guy went on and on about foreign interference's which might be the case , but the notion of Somalinimo and how he applies it as a solution is far from the truth. The author describes Imam Ahmed Ibrahim Al ghazi struggle as one the Somalis were defending Somalinimo against the Ethiopian, which is not true. Imam Ahmed and the conquest of the Abyssinians was strictly an Islamic Jihaad had little to do with Somalinimo.juqatiluna fi sabililaah. The Imam was not fighting for Somali galbeed at that time the Somalis haven't even fully moved in those area's. Allthough the vast majority of the Imams army were Somalis, but there were also afar Muslims Muslim Shewians Arabs hararians Gurage Muslims and even Turks. There was never a Political Somalism struggle or a Somali empire it was mere a experiment in the early 60s and mid 70s. Somalinimo if you ask me has little to do with Politics more with culture and traditions songs poetry. So people need to really redefine what they mean when they say Somalinimo.

So for you Xaaji Somalinimo is a set of cultural values? Which ones are these?

Wadani;909279 wrote:
Xaaji ur right, Soomaalinimo need not be intertwined with politics. I feel the same brotherhood with Somalis from all the 5 somali inhabited regions of the horn, despite the differnces in politcs and borders.

Thats y i never understood y a lot of somalis like to call Somalilanders 'soomaalidiid's', as if our politcal divorce with Somalia removes our ethnicity and soomaali heritage.

So Somalinimo as cultural and kinship ties, sense of belonging?

Cultural values there was a time i used to think Somalinimo was about achieving Somaliweyn under one country but since the past 25 year i started leaning towards more of cultural traditional values language Somali hospitality the idea that Islam is also very essential of being a Somali. Because that's the social bond Somalis have which will be unbreakable.

Am not asking these question as a frivolous pass-time. Every time I say "I am Somali" folks say, what does that mean? What does it mean to be Somali? Some cheekily go on and say "you don't have anything authentic, your food is a mishmash of Italian, Arab and Indian cuisine; your clothing is, well two loin clothes borrowed from India" and so on...

Contrast that with Amhara; authentic food, dress, ancient script, etc...

Blackflash;909281 wrote:
I think Somalis may have been on the cusp of unification when the Europeans arrived. There seemed to be an expansion in the size and number of sultanates and self proclaimed kingdoms in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Are you saying like the Parisians subsumed all discordant strands among the Franks that one of the Sultanates: **********, ********, Awdal, etc would naturally have absorbed the others into a pan-Somali identity but with a decidedly Parisian flavour (in our case one of the sultanate's mores and outlooks of life, love and liberty)?