Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Somaliland: A Large Demonstration Rocks Burco

Saalax   

Hundreds of protesters demonstrated against Somaliland’s ruling Kulmiye party during a general strike Thursday in Burao, the birth place of Somaliland, local media reported.

Residents mainly from the south and west of the divided town marched through main streets demanding the removal of the current governor of Togdher region. They chanted anti-government messages and waved boards.

Offices and shops were shut in the town, and transport came to a complete stand still for several hours.

Burao is the administrative capital of Togdheer region and currently one of many political pressure points that erupted following the recent dispute local elections.

The western Burco residents insist that governor Abdo Ahmed Ayar stands down in accordance to Somaliland’s local government tribal power sharing system. The government recently removed the former governor of Sahil to make way for a new governor belonging to different sub-clan to the mayor of Berbera, the provincial capital. Now the locals accuse the Ahmed Silanyo government of hypocrisy and tribal favoritism since in Burao both the mayor and governor belong to his eastern Burco sub-clan.

Mohamed Mohamud Yusuf ‘Ubahle’, the deputy governor, said the strike was unjustified, and criticized the organizers for exploiting legitimate social grievances. He called for calm and no violence has been reported.

The town is bracing for more fresh protests and there are fears the two sides could violently clash.

Somalilandpress

Saalax   

Al shabab boy mind your business. Any appropriate headline that reflects on the situation will be used.

Somaliland: A Large Demonstration Rocks Burco

Written by Qaran news

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:05 PM

Burao(Qarannews):- A large demonstration which had been expected over the past few days has began in the city, rattling the local authorities and bringing chaos to the city.

The protesters began to march on the regional headquarters, the city police station and city hall to protest the maladministration of President Ahmed Mohamed Mohamud "Siilaanyo" and his government.

During the demonstration the protesters burned tires and other incendiary items, however, there are no reports of the gunfire which had been part and parcel of the recent demonstrations in Somaliland's capital, Hargeisa.

According to eyewitness reports, the protesters are demanding the immediate removal of the Governor of Togdher, Abdi Ayir, who like the new mayor of Buroa is from the same community as President Silaanyo.

According to the protesters, in order to maintain the balance between the two majority communities in Burao, each community occupied either the governors or the mayors.

However, since the conclusion local council elections in Somaliland, President Silaanyo's administration has been fiercely backing the advancement of councillors from the president's community, something that had not been seen in the Horn of Africa since the administration of the late Siyad Barre during the last days of defunct "Somali Republic".

Waryaa Che, are you a paid supporter of Siilaanyo these days ? :D . Do allow other piont of views to be heard in SOL fora :D , which means you will have to stop subjecting your rigorous examination to AfricaOwn's expressed opposition to all things Siilaanyo...

Saalax......How could hundreds of people equal to large demons....If you are expressing your own anger, say so.

lool@Xiin, Aw Somaliland is symbol of Somali democracy. We can't allow tribalists to destroy it:D

That said, the whole thing is just amusing.

Bal how's Faroole? I heard things are heating up.

watch the usual suspects with their "baccc" noise to invade this thread. Hopefully they protest loudly and clear, this is totally unacceptable. Share this news with your peers on Facebook.

Che, Faroole is camping at Boosaaso, there is no real issues in Puntland . This manufactured crisis lacks traction as such. The multi party approach resonates with the average people. It is a common sense approach, it enjoys a lot support.

Galkacyo demo is a clear example of Puntland political maturityl; reer Mudug with 40 years experience with guns opted out to burning tires :D

STOIC   

^ Democracy and Somalis don't mix.If I was a Puntlander I'll have warned them to take it Slowly! It is pity to see what is happening in Somaliland.I thought there was glimpse of hope in Somaliland and them throwing out the bad waters of Somalia was going to bring them a different outlook of life and governance, but they are NOT any different than South Somalia. Clan politics have really proliferated and it is really disappointing! Clan has a monumental importance in Somaliland. My support of seeing them different has quickly waned and I bet you any person that tells me how wonderful country they have called Somaliland will get some reality check!

Coofle   

The usual staff....Reer hebal ayaa Badhasaab iyo maayar isku qaataye wax ha nala siiyo.... The Siilaanyo government should carefully handle the tribe staff especially in Burco!

lol@40 yrs experience with guns, that proves you are reer Kismayo. People are humbled by reality. Our propensasity to violence hasn't really changed and I doubt we Somalis in general have matured. But let's hope you are right Aw Xiin

One thing is certain though, you don't want the likes of Gagaab masquerading as legitimate opposition.

Stoic....You are really seem surprised!

STOIC   

Che, I'm really surprised. I must have been sapping my energy on people hell-bent on Sub-clan politics.I always thought they had some decency for national pride and patriotism for their collective effort , but they ended up being the worst of bed-wetting Somalis. Today Silanyo is the president, but tomorrow when a HY becomes the president the same finger pointing will continue so is the bleaker picture!I guess I should have just let my mind unravel the complexity of the Somali clan politics instead of blocking it out and thinking they have decency to hide it....

Stoic.....I have my own theories about the foundation of Somaliland cohension, unity or identity which differentiates from the rest of the Somalis. One thing rings true for all Somalis including our northern brothers, tribalism is corner stone of our lives and seeps into everything. We just need to figure out a way to live with and minimize its destructive nature.

On side note, Ciidagale friend was joking that they should bring Riyaale back, he was referee for Habros...lool