Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The Audacity of Tenacity

Abtigiis   

Waranle, great observation, valid critique.

At first glance, the boy's venial narcissism - given the odds and ordeal endured and overcome - overshadows the sacrifices and generosity of the poor father. But on closer scrutiny, the father's parental sacrifices and exaggerated belief in the capabilities of his son is relayed through a drifty narration on the son's ability to fend for himself and the family. The sacrifices of the father is read and redeemed through filial struggle and achievement.

^Its great, I like the story but also the way it's conveyed is good and leaves one to ponder, some throw a sense of guilt rather light feeling of it however a self worth and fulfillment is noticed. Exhilarating/stimulating note.

not to overshadow the sentimental and 'get-the-tissues-out' atmosphere of this excellent thread, but i can see where A-pozi is coming from when he talk of this 'the guilt trip'. from personal experience, it was this guilt trip that has always kept me in line. i had this automatic and externally generated but internally-induced guilt for days whenever i fell out of line. my parents always remitted this feeling of 'we're disappointed in you; do you realise how much we've sacrificed for you........''. up to now, i'm still a mere satellites - still attached to HQ. i'm finally taking ownership of my own affairs but their manipulative resistance to change is clear. my family own me but i'd rather be owed because at least i have that 'direction' and 'sense of purpose' instilling.... which i lack on my own. its a trinity of sorts (family, Alpha and context)

A-pozi had a valid point, but his 'too clever by half' execution has left an unruffled and a sour taste in what was a seminal thread.

Abtigiis   

Seriously, Apophis, my cousin, you did not do anything wrong on this thread. You raised interesting dimensions that people can discuss. But of course age and own experience shape how we think about our parents and their "control" over us. As we grow older and start to wear their shoes, we become more appreciate of their sacrifices and less resentul about their control and harassment.

When I say I did not feel like you wronged me, I mean it.

Or is this apology a more dignified way of rescinding your eariler laments against parents' "stifling of children's freedom in latter years as way of recouping earlier investements" ?

It is ok to say I am sorry, I was wrong. :D

STOIC   

Apophis likes to toot his own horn and thinks taking a position opposed to that of the majority will make him look like a person that thinks for himself. Let me stop before I exploit the youthful inexperience of our friend.Good to see him though take a step and read things slowly this time lol

Abtigiis   

Again, I did not take offence at any point and my remarks about yaa iga qabta Apophis was really said in a playful way. Remember, unlike the arrogant Xinn who believes he is the best thing that happened to the virtual world since bread was silced, I have huge self-doubt and therefore like to argue with everyone in the hope of either convincing the other or getting myself convinced. :D That is the source of my loquacity. I would not have played back and forth if i am not appreciative of your points even when you are being cheeky.

But if you feel you have to apologize, it is fully accepted and appreciated.

Stoic, I don't bielieve that is his intention although your theory is plausible. I think he is either a true iconoclast or he is just struggling with the warts of growth and all the insularity that goes with it.

NGONGE   

It's not often that I would post anything on here on a Sunday morning but this is worth the read. Might comment in more detail later, for now, I have to dislodge the kids dangling from my left shoulder, right leg and tummy. :(

AYOUB   

STOIC;899383 wrote:
He inspired few of my extended cousins also to attend Nairobi University!*

*He did a lot more than that, you're just being humble. :) On behalf of late brother (AUN) and the rest of the family thank you. :) Come to think of it, our paths crossed due to this pursuit "education" thingy.

A&T, your article had me staring of at my cousin's old passport photo. I wondered if it too was taken in May 1985. I calculated since he travelled in Ramadan of '85, the photo must have been taken a few weeks earlier which is roughly May 1985. Even though my cousin was better looking in my biased opinion, he too had that Saddam Hussein stare. On the positive side - for your cousin that is - he looks much older than 12, ma sha Allah. :)

Apophis, parent appreciation is considered a sign of legitimacy and lucidity in many cultures. I advise you to avoid such talk just in case you gave the wrong impression.

Abtigiis   

AYOUB;899799 wrote:

A&T
,Even though my cousin was better looking in my biased opinion, he too had that Saddam Hussein stare.

Tuug! :D :D

Beauty is behaviour waryaa. It is those who are compassionate, caring, humble and understanding that I call beautiful. Not those with the faces of George Clooney or ....

Ayoub, what you seem not to appreciate is that I belong to those kids Radio Wiilwaal says should have been statistically dead...or in my case statistically illiterate. Marka highlight the success in the story not the ascribed aesthetic deficiencies of the photo.

Disco, .... Waa ra'yigaaga. But I doubt you will have said the same if this story was told by a Ugandan, a Nigerian or a Bengali poor kid. Taking away from others so that we don't look small, or using insults and insinuations as stilts to look taller or bring down others to assuage ingrained feelings about own inadequacies is a communal habit for us Somalis. So, not one bit surprised about your statement.