Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The Audacity of Tenacity

NGONGE   

How much is due to the old man's wish to see his children progress and prosper and how much is down to these children's own hardwork, I wonder! I mean, the boys moved to another town at an early age and were left unsupervised except for the occassional letter/tape telling them to be good and work hard.

STOIC   
*He did a lot more than that, you're just being humble. :) On behalf of late brother (AUN) and the rest of the family thank you. :) Come to think of it, our paths crossed due to this pursuit "education" thingy.

That is what families do for each other.No need to thank me.When I spoke to your late brother(AUN) and Abdi (Michigan) they indeed shared with me memories during their schooling years and how my old man inspired them.They both were bright student and even got the highest scores in the district.My old man used to say its been done before by your cousins So can you....

STOIC   

Ngonge,

Hahha..Warya all Somalis are related...Ayoub is a close family..we go way back...AT&T is from big foot community and from all the duriyada community I think we are the most that intermarry with them so he is family too...haha

STOIC   

Abtigis...

Ngonge ayaan bahaashaa baaraaye..haha...laismawareystaa inaat qof Somali wax issutihiin...I bet you Ngonge has some Khatumo blood in him somewhere

Abtigiis   

NGONGE;899827 wrote:
How much is due to the old man's wish to see his children progress and prosper and how much is down to these children's own hardwork, I wonder! I mean, the boys moved to another town at an early age and were left unsupervised except for the occassional letter/tape telling them to be good and work hard.

Ngonge, I think you missed the sub-narrative about the older brother. Mohamud Cadde never - for a second - entertained the idea that it is own hard-work that made him. It is hard to imagine he would have gone far without the extraordinary far-sightedness of the father, who not only decided to sell everything he has - land, animals, properties - to raise enough money to take his sons to a town where he thought they would get better schooling, but who also had the wisdom to realize that the risks of juvenile temptations that can wreck the future of his sons in distant cities never outweighed the dangers of keeping them in fake schools in nearby towns.

If the father had a strong belief that the young son would make it if given the opportunity, he NEVER doubted the conscientiousness and puritan convictions of the older one - Mohamed. In later years, he repeatedly said he would never have sent Mohamud Cadde to a town 20 Kms away, without the company of Mohamed (the elder).

Mohamed lived an ascetic teenage life and while the young one was easily corruptible the strict supervision and constant advice, and the young one's love of the elder's compassion and collectedness, made the boys follow their parents instructions to the letter. For Mohamud cadde never feared God, or gossip or parents's wrath, but feared a bad judgement by the older brother. To err was to anger and disappoint the older one; and Mohamud cadde would do everything to avoid that.

To this day, the old brother sees the young one as someone prone to hasty decisions and a sort of daredevil that can invite hurt and agony to himself and those around him.

NGONGE   

^^ I had to make a similar journey (the similarity ends with the journey by the way) with my younger brother and was given the crippling task of being in charge of him for almost a year. To say that he was a rascal back then is to truly insult rascals. My old man? I reckon he was just glad to be rid of us both. :D