Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Somaliland and Oromos!

NGONGE   

*Ibtisam;895785 wrote:

Che- they can't have it both ways. Either it has the responsibilities of a recognised state, or it does not. That is my regular debate with my IOM friends when they complain about the conditions of refugees in Somaliland and no welfare for them. I am like "WHAT?" lol

Does that make it right though?

Ibtisam   

There is no welfare system for Somalis from Somaliland, half of their population has some kind of mental illness and all the "war hero's" are going through stages of no one ever rewarded us or recognised us for our scarifies. You hear them bitterly complaining at every turn. If anyone should get welfare- they should.

As a refugee as one point of my life, of course I wish it was different, but the reality is Somaliland is not and cannot provide welfare for anyone in its current state. Demanding that it should just simplifies the problems and shifts the blame. At the moment they are supplemented by INGOs who pay the welfare (much like they did when I was a refugee kid in Ethiopia) but of course that means many who are not needed or refugees are in the queue of welfare. lol

Haatu   

Ibti, I'm pretty sure Somalia signed that treaty and under international law, S/land is held accountable as it is still recognised as part of Somalia. I think that's where they might be coming from but I'm just guessing.

Ibti I don't think anyone is under the delusion that Somaliland can provide welfare but whether they have or have not signed a treaty, why hand over a political dissident over to Ethiopia

Johnny B   

Ibti, i don't blame you for not being so sympathetic towards the story character, but why move the goal, namely from weather it is right or wrong to something like " the whole place is chaotic" ?

*Ibtisam;895830 wrote:
There is no welfare system for Somalis from Somaliland,

check !

*Ibtisam;895830 wrote:
half of their population has some kind of mental illness

really ?

*Ibtisam;895830 wrote:
and all the "war hero's" are going through stages of no one ever rewarded us or recognised us for our scarifies.

You hear them bitterly complaining at every turn. If anyone should get welfare- they should.

Is it their demand for a reward or that their lack of getting it ( be it welfare or otherwise ) that upsets you?

*Ibtisam;895830 wrote:
As a refugee as one point of my life, of course I wish it was different,

This ,with all due respect is irrelevant.

*Ibtisam;895830 wrote:
but the reality is Somaliland is not and cannot provide welfare for anyone in its current state.

Why assume NGONGE is unaware of that?

*Ibtisam;895830 wrote:
Demanding that it should just simplifies the problems and shifts the blame.

Now you're talking, Are the Oromoes to blame for Somalilands recognition or lack thereof?

*Ibtisam;895830 wrote:
At the moment they are supplemented by INGOs who pay the welfare (
much like they did when I was a refugee kid in Ethiopia
) but of course that means many who are not needed or refugees are in the queue of welfare. lol

I diden't know that ( sorry to hear about the red text ), but had it ever struck you that the situation could of have been the same even by then ?!

namely some unwanted non-refugees were in the queue.

Don't you dare be that busybody NGONGE carelessly accuses you of. ;)

Ps/ what happened to the Bangali guy?

Wadani   

Is Ibti really married to a Bengali? If so I wonder if hes been to Somaliland and what he thinks of the place. Also, if he's been I wonder how he's treated by the locals . Ibiti care to share?

Johnny B;895956 wrote:
really ?

I don't find that figure difficult to believe. You have to go there to see for yourself. On every street there are several mentally ill people chained in front of a house - and those are only the violent ones. Traumatic experiences of war on a mass-scale have severe consequences for all those affected.

Ibti...It's silly for anyone to suggest the idea of Somaliland providing welfare to anyone left alone to refugees but I do think Somaliland has moral obligation not to send back political refugees who she knows will be tortured and possibly killed. I don't think the lack of international recognition does not negate its responsibilities.

And as professed democracy, I would imagine this violates its own constitution.

A_Khadar   

You guys talking about Oromos handed to Ethiops, but you forgot that Somalis were handed to Ethios in many times.. If the boss orders, no one can refuse his demands. Forget about obligations, moral, justice and what not.

NGONGE   

I am shocked to see Ibti duck and dive in such a way. She's starting to sound worse than Norf and as awful as the ghastly Xaaji X. :(